May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. vic nashville,Tn

Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08

2. Dom, Vancouver, WA

So... is she gonna vote for McCain? The guy who just this year voted AGAINST equal pay for woman. I can understand why after the worst GOP president in history. The fact that Guerrero wants to even risk giving the GOP another chance shows she doesn't really care about the Democratic party. I would have voted for Hillary but supporters like this crazy Guerrero have showed me that Hillary is not able to control her supporters as effectively as Obama.

3. chinaman

Total Delegates 1900 – 1718 Obama + 182
    Super Delegates 298 – 275 Obama + 23
    Pledged Delegates 1602 – 1443 Obama + 159
    Popular Vote 49.3 – 47.5 Obama +1.8

4. Kenneth M

SHE WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN NOM. IF SHE WAS A WOMEN, SHE NEVER DID ANYTHING AFTER THAT, AND SHE IS A BIGOT.

5. maryInNC

I won't vote for Obama either !!!!!!!!!!!

And all you stupid Obama supporters who keep bringing Roe VS Wade up .I could care less for Roe VS Wade,didn't agree with it from the start.

The security of the US is the most important issue...........Obama will destroy the USA with his views.!!!!!!!!!

Clinton or McCain 2008 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Never Obama..........................................

6. Cary

Shame on Ferraro. Shame on CNN for stoking the flames. Shame on the Democratic party. We look like a bunch of sexist racists, leaving the Republicans with the moral high ground, yikes!

7. YIKES, DYKE!

SLOT YOUR BALOT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!

8. our turn

obama needs the vote of we little people but we aint giving it to him so i guess we little people paint a pretty talll picture once we get our collective little-ness together?.......... now its our turn, and we say, 'NOPE!'

9. carolflowery

say what you will, but i Hillary were a man, she wouldnt be being asked to quit the race, it has been biased and that is fact. So, it goes on the good fight. People want to know when America will be ready for a black President? I think its obvious many are, but I must say I am, just not this one and all because of his shady past with certain groups and his liberalism. Well, when will America be ready for a female President, just as important.

10. Dee

ARE KIDDING???

Isn't she supporting the candidate whose husband was sneaking around with interns??

What a joke!!!

11. RealDeal

The race for the Democratic nomination is over. It's time to move on. If you're a Hillary supporter and feel as though you can't vote for Sen. Obama, then vote for someone else. That's you're right.

OBAMA'08

12. zscott

would someone tell this demented fool to shut the hell up. she gives feminists a bad name.

13. Darryl

Just a bitter ol' biddy...Go take a nap somewhere.

14. MJ

Good for you. And I totally agree with you. The "sweetie" comment really cemented my view. I will not vote for him.

15. anglopole

I am appauled at the nature of this old lady who from no where is trying to take attention away from the issue that realy affect the American people, and when it come to issueslets not forget what america does the world will act lets see if this lady will steal this from obama then the world will make its judgement on that and again, try play fair let her not steal spot light recist lady

May 19, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  16. Brendan

Why would we take the advice of a woman who failed miserably at her chance to be the VP in the General Election?

May 19, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  17. Saleh

You have been a failure all through. Obama does not need your stupid vote! He is wining without the likes of you.

May 19, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  18. YIKES, DYKE!

STICK YOUR BALOT IN HER SLOT!

May 19, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  19. andy

Real mature kids. "If my candidate doesn't win the nomination I'm voting republican".

Grow up.

May 19, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  20. Ashley

If you believe in what Clinton stands for, how could you possibly vote for McCain?

I voted for Clinton in my states primary, I've donated to her campaign, and I've made phone calls for her. But there is no way that I will not vote for Obama.

This country cannot take another 4 years of a Republican in the White House.

May 19, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  21. Shirley, Silicon Valley, CA

She is going down history as a divisive and bitter old woman who doesn't know when to quit talking and spreading poison!

May 19, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  22. Mar

I think that she needs a good man in her life. Now that is a sexist comment.
    As a woman she can't stand that her person is not wanted by a majority of people in the US. If she can't see past the remarks and all she wants to do is sound off then let her vote for the other guy.
    If she cares at all of the U.S. she will do what is right to get this country back on track. Bush has let us down

May 19, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  23. CB

Could it be you are just trying to get your 15min. of fame.

We have DEMOCRATS who say they won’t vote for OBAMA, but we have just as many REPUBLICANS. who say they will. Just something to think about for you CLINTON SUPPORTS who won’t support OBAMA.

It sounds like an EVEN TRADE TO ME, except the cross over REPUBLICANS is getting the better part of the deal. Just my 2 cents or 1.

Now is the time to SHANK HANDS, KISS and make up to get ahead of the game.

Obama 08!

May 19, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  24. Diziz31

Sexist probably first time in years sex has come back into her vocabulary.

May 19, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  25. hard working and white

America is full of racism and hate.
    Vote for that if do not have a honour and a conscience. But I am proud of 30 % of WHITE hard working people of Kentucky and WV.

OBAMA 08