May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. prairieguy

She is just looking for attention....she is a bitter woman.

2. Nic

What's worse? A little sexism, which is nothing new, or HAVING OUR REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS TAKEN AWAY? Come on. Any woman who would vote for McCain solely because she believes the media and/or Obama have been sexist should be ashamed of herself. It's not a perfect world for us yet by any means, but let's not make it worse out of sheer spite. If we don't want to be treated like we're stupid, let's not behave like it. 'Kay?

3. Tino

If there's one thing this primary has shown, it's that a woman simply cannot handle this process. Hillary is learning it, and Geraldine should learn it too.

4. KAM

Honestly, all of you HRC lovers are so lame if you believe and support the BS spewing from this women's mouth. She's bitter about what happened earlier in the year and is doing her best to get back at Obama.

None of you are true democrats if you'd have the gall to vote for a war loving Republican like McCain. It's truly pathetic to read your comments.

We need to come together as a party and vote for the candidate who wins the democratic nomination, not be spiteful and bitter just like Ferraro just because you didn't get your way. Grow up! I am a woman and I will be PROUD to vote for Obama in November!

5. hillary 08!

to all who comment on Hillary supporters......

bite me!

(i have a MBA and make more money in a year than most of you in a lifetime, and i'm happily married with 3 children if you want to judge my demographics)

Hillary is a winner, leader and has done plenty for our community....
    so....

A. what have YOU done to make the world a better place
    B. I'll vote for whoever I CHOOSE because this IS AMERICA

6. Todd

Ummm...other than the fact that it might be fun to say, can anyone point to one sexist thing that Obama has done?

7. Bill

Ok women, now you've done it, remove your shoes, you lose your voting privelage, and give me your watches, there is a clock on the stove. If you prove you can't be part of the free world, back to 1926 with ya.

8. Tim

Is this some sort of smear attempt against Ferrero. There isn't a single morsel of new information here. This is weeks if not months old. What is your problem CNN? Tired of reporting actual news? Oh I forgot, you don't actually do that do you.

9. Ez

that is your red blooded American right to vote to anyone you like but please don't try to lecture us to follow your way so good luck.

10. Party Crasher

She sunked Mondale and Clinton, now she's trying to sink Obama.

Who is this woman?

She should change her name to The Iceberg that sunked the Titantic.

11. Jerry in Boston

While I wouldn't go as far as refusing to vote for Obama, I have to agree that the acceptance by the media of casual sexism during this campaign is disgraceful.

Obama dismissively calls a female questioner "sweetie" and it's laughed off by the media. Can you imagine if McCain or Clinton had waved away a question by a black man with the term "boy"?

There would be hell to pay.

The double standards on racism vs sexism in this campaign are disgusting.

12. Andrew

So sad to see someone diminish their legacy with pointless,
    bitter remarks...

13. Tina

To all you feminists and Democrats who are not going to vote for Obama or will vote for McCain: didn't any of you have grandmothers who fired bromides at you like the following: "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face."

If you've enjoyed the policy of the last 7 1/2 years, then by all means stay home or vote for McCain (the outcome will be the same.) But if you want change, put on your big girl/boy pants, grow up, wipe your noses and do the right thing. This is life, folks, not the third grade school yard, where we got mad at people just because our friends did.

14. Larry Sandusky Ohio

Ferraro is the perfect example showing why Obama cannot win in West Virginia or Kentucky. The majority of Democratic voters in those two states and Ferraro all have good friends that are black. Geraldine and Hillary and Kentucky and West Virginia need to understand that it's a done deal. Hillary does not have the numbers to win and if her margins were 100% she still wouldn't have the delegates necessary. Hillary is emphasizing a bad trait here. There is a time when good judgment says it's over and and time to shut up and face it. I'd had more respect for her if she had shown Bill the door when she should have!

15. Christie

Senator Obama is not sexist. And Obama didn't just get lucky. I think this is the first time I've heard that your LUCKY to be black. Obama is a powerful speaker, with great ideas, that represents the people of this country and not just the top ten percent. It is about time we have a candidate who cares about the PEOPLE and not about the corporations. It is unfortunate that some people are too spiteful, or harbor suchracist sentiments, that it would cloud their judgment so much as to cause them to vote for McCain. McCain is 4 more years of Bush, jut without a backbone. When media and the people of this country pressure McCAin he flips back and forth as to not offend anyone. So while I am glad that Clinton will not be the nominee, I am discouraged that for the greater good of the country and the democratic cause, Ferraro would not suck it up and vote for the person who represents ideals most similar to her own.

Obama '08 – true change

16. Sue

So you have resigned from Hillary campaign huh...! Or are you still a surrogate..? Looking to pressure Obama to put Hillary on the ticket..? Or else the female voters won't vote for you..? Yes, you are a true democrat..!

17. Monica

If she can say Obama is terribly sexist, I can say Hillary is terribly racist. Both are stretching and ridiculous. She is doing nothing for women with this nonsence. His lead is getting insurmountable and Ferraro continues with this bologna, grow up already.

18. robert g

Hillary with Newt would give them all the boot!

Conventional parties have failed the American people this time.

Clinton 44

Show Obama the door!

Nobama!

May 19, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  19. Rich

She wasn't a true democrat in the first place then. She is being very sexist or maybe racist or maybe just foolish with suggesting that she may not vote for him. On what grounds is she speaking from? Obama doesn't control the media. He apologized for the "Sweetie" comment. What more do you want???? Oh 4 more years of Bush aka McSame. You got to be kidding me???

May 19, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  20. sdmackey

Thank you, Ms. Ferraro and all the others that will not be voting for the democratic nominee. Vote for McCain, or the Libertarian, or the Idependent candidate, or write Senator Clinton's name in, this will
    almost certainly give McCain a win.

I live in Florida (where the rules were broken), but I remember in 2000 how angry I was about the outcome of the Presidential Election.
    I now also feel angry because we are about to give the election to the Republicans again.

Prior to that I gave my overwhelming support to the Clinton during good and bad.

Fast forward to the present and now because I support Obama I'm
    labeled an idiot, said to have drank some Kool-Aid, or racist. I am a 53 year old African American woman who has been voting since I was 18 years old. I've done so because many people died so I may have that right. In dong so I have voted for white male candidates
    for the past 35 years because I identified with what they represented.

Now I identify with what Obama represents, so I will cast my one
    ballot him, if not then it will be Clinton.

I am saddened by some of the hate I see in various comments.

May 19, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  21. WOW - Cedar Hill, TX

Who cares whether you vote.......

Obama 08

May 19, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  22. Maggie Vandensloot, Oregon

Why don't ALL of the racists who hide and embed themselves in the
    democratic party just simply break off and form your own party, and
    stop pretending to be Americans.

May 19, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. Ed

Be careful Hillary Supporters that you don't look and sound like the bitter, spiteful and race conscience people your painting yourself to be.

May 19, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  24. Mike

Now Hillary has got her own Reverand White. Another good reason to press on!

May 19, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  25. Chris

When will this woman shut up and go away? Talk about loving the spotlight!

May 19, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |