May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. Sharon Minnesota

RIF, In this years election I have definitely embraced the Republican Party. I have been a democrat all my life (you can believe this or not, I don't really care), however, the democrats you mention (including Sen. Kennedy) have sold out to a candidate (Barack Obama) who has not fully identified himself to the American people. This is my strong opinion which many others share in this free country. I suspect that you may be one of those non-Americans in the Gaza (Hammas Palestine) that are phone banking and campaigning for Obama.

As long as the Obama supporters continue to attack all other candidates and everyone supporting them, I will speak out. John McCain is a new Republican Moderate and will bring us back to sanity in this country.

May 19, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  2. KMAN

Geraldine ... you and your old-time feminist ilk are as about as dated as your name! Young women today already know they are not shackled by the same historic perceptions of reallity as you still are! YOU don't matter and frankly you were merely a token when you ran!

May 19, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  3. James

She is right he is an arrogant elitist. He also played the race card. I will never vote for him either. I am one of those typical white people he refered to here in pennsylvania. I will stay home and cling to my gun and bible.

4. Michael

Why CNN, why do you keep covering this relic? Her relevence to the conversation is absolutely ZERO.

If you are going to promote a story, at least tell your readers its an EDITORIAL COMMENT.

5. bini

well, you don't want to invite her to a party.

6. Crush Rush

Lets make fun of the dittoheads that come on here to cause trouble,while their fearful,fat pig leader has the day off.

7. Alice

Thx, Geraldine, for your stalwart efforts on behalf of four more years of George W. Bush.

8. Obama 08

She is just a bitter old woman

9. mary cleveland, ohio

Who is Geraldine Ferraro?

You know the best thing to do with someone who doesn't learn after making a stupid comment is to ignore further comments.

It would be more effective if everyone of us didn't respond to this kind of remark. Let's try next time she says something.

10. Party Crasher

To ex-obama supporter,

He may not be able to hold a candle to HRC in your opinion, but he can hold the total delegate count, super delegate count, and popular vote count against her.

11. Cheryl

Why would anyone care what Geraldine Ferraro says OR thinks? She is wacko and a real downer for the dems. And now she's talking about voting for McCain?? Does this broad have one tiny brain cell left?

Yeah, McCain, Bush's third term. He doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning DOGCATCHER, let alone president, but it's good to know nonentities such as Ferraro are on his side.

Spare me.

12. Bill

Geraldine Ferraro who? I remember her saying a few things that she was sorry that she said. She can't vote for pee wee herman who cares what she thinks or does. Stick your head in the sand and save a spot for Billery as well, you will have so company comming.

13. TIMBER

I have to respect her honesty, if you really think about it instead of brushing her off, you know she is right. I agree 100%. Keep speaking the words others think but are afraid to say Geraldine!

14. Susan

So she would prefer to see women's right to choose be obliterated by a McCain win and his ability to appoint at least three conservative pro-life judges to the bench? And she would prefer to have us stay in Iraq and lose more of our brave men and women? And she would prefer that nothing be done about health care in this country? That's really smart.

All of you democratic women who think that this is the wise thing to do, please realize what this means to women. Sure it would amazing to have a woman president, but voting for McCain is ridiculous.

Susan
    Scotts Valley, California

15. Dan. Louisville

I am a Kentucky voter who was supporting Hillary until this old hag showed up again. Now dagnabit, Obama has my vote.

16. Guy

You vote for the person best for the job, not Hillary, it has nothing to do that she is a woman. I dont care if she a zebra, she cant win in november. This woman is nuts,

17. CMitch for Obama

Regardless, I will vote for whoever is on the democrat ticket. Straight ticket. I want the republican party out!!! In this country people should not have to live like this paying gas prices over the top. All you selfish self center people grow up, you're acting like immature children, not having their way. Too many people die for me not to vote. Hillary or Obama I will vote. I will not give the republican another 4 years, because America is heading for self destruction.

May 19, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  18. fred

sdmackey, LOL.....If Obama was white you would be voting for Hillary!!!

May 19, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  19. brett

Way to go Geraldine! Just like all outspoken Hillary supporters, you can't open your mouth for 30 seconds without cramming your foot in it. It just pushes all of the undecideds over to Obama, where they belong.

May 19, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  20. sue

Clinton, a victim of a sexist media?? I think not. She just doesn't have that like-ability factor. Geraldine who?? Who cares what you think/ NO ONE!!

May 19, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  21. USAF Sr. Airman

Who does she think she is? Does anyone care about her or her opinion anymore? "Anymore"? What am I saying? Nobody ever did! Get lost.

May 19, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  22. Ivory

How could any true feminists vote for McCain? Do HRC supporters honestly feel that McCain would be a better president than Obama, or do they voting for him out of spite?

May 19, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  23. Curious

Just wanna make sure I understand the concept: "Yes, it's true that very little in actual policy positions separates the two Democratic contenders and both support a speedy end to the war in Iraq, a woman's right to choose, an end to imbalanced tax cuts for the very wealthy, universal health care and alternative energy development among other issues. But if MY chosen candidate doesn't win the nomination, I will, out of spite, vote for the Republican candidate who foresees decades of US occupation in Iraq, is anti-choice and anti-universal health care and is pretty much planning to follow the failed policies of a thoroughly discredited and incompetent president." Did I get that about right?

May 19, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  24. Tony - DC

lh

SInce when did fair enter into it?

Playing the race card, I guess you think, is fair. Must be black!

Vote for the brotha, foreget he isn't qualified, has no experience, hasn't been vetted, etc.etc.etc.

Fair and square? What a joke!

May 19, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  25. Woman in AZ

All of you that say McCain will eliminate a woman's right to choose, don't know John S. McCain. He will protect our rights as he protects the rights of all Americans. If you are talking about Roe v. Wade and what the court will do with it, don't worry, as a female attorney I know that the ruling is safe from attack. What you really need to worry about is putting an inexperienced know nothing politician whose agenda we don't know about in the Whitehouse.
    Because of all the side issues, he has been able to avoid making a committment on any real issues. Immigration, Oil, education, health.
    All he does is steal from Hillary and then twist her words to fit his agenda.

I am voting for McCain if Hillary does not get the nomination.

May 19, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |