May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. us sailor

Instead of trying to tear Barack down why don't his Democrat friends try to work with for the sake of the PEOPLE. Because that's who really matter in all this. Or did they forget that??????

2. joann Urquhart

As an over 60 year old feale cardiologist I think Geraldine Ferrara is nut's. She is just despartae becasue Hiliary is not the candidate. Obama is the best candidate since Kennedy. This woman is a racist.

3. starr

call it whatever you want. Obama is the better candidate for the democratic party. Obama, I hope he wins the presidency.

4. CT Yankee

I don't think Geraldine ever had that problem of a man making advances towards her or belittling her because of gender....

She's a man, baby........

5. Tubby The Tuba from Texas

Sounds like SOUR GRAPES to all of us. Give it up, girl!

6. sky

What a sad example you are to my children and grandchildren. Poor sportsmanship and sour grapes at its most insulting degree. You represent the cheerleading mother who beat up the girl who beat her daughter in tryouts and the football father who ran out onto the field to attack another child. If Barack was in some way an evil or dishonest person; if Baracks motives for being president were less than honorable; if Barack had made some sort of fatal error; then I would think that you were listening to some higher voice, some higher calling. But there isnt one thing about him that you can dislike other than the fact he has beaten your friend in a well fought, race.
    you are a shining example of nothing.

7. Deborah in MN

Reporter didn't bother to write down what exactly Ferraro thinks he has done which is sexist.

8. TOM

THIS IS GETTING VERY OLD. VOTE NO FOR PRESIDENT

9. Zoe

I say its an honor not to have her support!

10. Andy

c'mon folks...if Obama is the nominee, u ought to vote for him...is mccain ok for you? He is a man TOO by the way, not just barack. Look, I am Hillary supporter too, but if he is the nominee, I will vote for him because this time around it is just WAY TO IMPORTANT not to let republicans get control of the presidency again. Do you want BUsh third term?? Did you no have enough? Now is not the time to fight between each other, but we should fight to keep democrats in charge!

11. Tom CA

Racial tension has been building up and is dividing this great nation and please understand we are all Americans and Citizens of this great nation. Noone should over and above others.After all, all men are born equal.

12. ROb

I don't get it, what exactly did Obama do to create this sexist stir? I never saw any of this.

13. Cliff

Sad.

May 19, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  14. Mark

I think that's very sad that she would allow somone to come in that goes against all the Democrats stand for because of sour grapes. Wah, my candidate didn't win.

And if she thinks the Clintons didn't infuse race into this...it's just sad what they have done to the party.

May 19, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  15. DT

There is an old saying...."The pot should never call the kettle black".

Ferraro seems to care little about her hypocrisy here.

May 19, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  16. Lori/MI

This is really sad, since Obama has been more respectable to Hillary than she deserves.

May 19, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  17. Prince

What's her problem?
    She is trying to use false attacks to justify or cover up her racist remarks. Her coments were racist and senseless. One of the biggest problems of racism, which she so much exemplifies is the refusal or inability of the "racist" to see or accept racially affensive nature of their actions or words. That is Ferraro's problem. She sould just chill...

May 19, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  18. Phila Voter

Ferraro is a racist bigot and for the record, Senator Obama is just as much a white man as a black man.

May 19, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  19. craig

Proves why Ferraro is and will always be a loser.

May 19, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  20. Clinton/McCain

I agree with Ferraro on both accounts. Obama's comments have been sexist. I remember the Annie Oakley comparision. Not a wise comment.

May 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  21. mususbahu GERMANY

she is an old jaylous woman.very disappointed course she is not going to be VP.shame on you,shame on you Ferraro.you are a loser.togehter we are strong divided we fall.look at the image of america in the whole world today.dont vote for him, believe me millions will vote for him.shame on you .Obama 08

May 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  22. sky

I can't believe I used to admire you

May 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  23. Get Over It

Shows you how stupid Ferraro is and why she never became vice president. Bill isn't a sexist???? Come on lady...

May 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  24. Eric

They say once an adult and twice a child. You are proving to the world that the saying is true, If you voete for McCain. I can' t win so I'll take my ball home and no one will play. You are just like Bush, I will go to my grave, before I admit I am wrong...along with the thousand of you men and women who died in the midedle east for nothing. We are suppose to be in Afghanistan. WAKE UP AND STOP BEING SO SELFISH!!!

May 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  25. rumpusgoopus

Because John McCain and the Republicans will be better with equality issues? Seriously now, this is just blatantly stupid.

May 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |