May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. Mike

I smell grapes. Of the sour variety.

Clinton has fewer pledged delegates.
    Clinton has fewer super delegates.
    Clinton has fewer total votes (including FL and MI).
    Clinton has won fewer states.

She can run as long as she likes in order to recoup some of that debt, but she's not going to win.

May 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  2. Tired of all the Flap

Who cares, Ferraro!

May 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  3. criss

who cares about ferraro

May 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  4. Iowan for PEACE

A vote for McCain is exactly what the Republicans want and this country will go down the tubes in four more years if that happens...

May 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  5. Dorothy

I have voted as a Democrat all of my 69 years, but I will not vote for Obama and all the women I know (an office full) feel the same as I do. I cannot vote for McCain, therefore, I shall not cast a vote in the general election.

May 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  6. Vet

After all this time, I am still waiting for BHO to say something, anything about his "vision". The only reason he is where he is, is because Democrats follow those who speak well about nothing. I would really hate to see what happens to this country if he were elected. He can't stop the rise in gas prices, no one can! He can't stop taxes or give tax breaks, our wonderful Senate does that. If you want any change for the better, you really need to get the Dems out of the Senate and get back to a Republican run country. The man is all talk, no substance. I do not agree with bringing race or gender into this. I will be voting for McCain!

May 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  7. jp

MILLIONS OF WOMEN WHO FEEL THEY WER ROBBED
    WILL VOTE AGAINST OBAMA
    AND THERE ARE A LOT MORE OF US OLD BROADS THAN THE YOUNG CHICKS

May 19, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  8. holy

Evidence of Disgrace

9. shirley ann

Poor Woman...... PLEASE go back in your cave or better yet GO spend your evenings with Karl Rove, Sean Hannity, and Bill O'Reilly at your weekly Klan meetings. You are such a racist. For years African Americans have voted for the white candidates and NOW for the first time in history, there is a black candidate and you all have found every excuxe to belittle him. But I tell you the truth, IF he is to be the next President of the United States, you voting for someone else will not matter. You are what you are...

10. kate

I wish this was not about race and sex, as a white female I am supporting Obama. Personally I am doing this because I agree with his positions more then Hilary's. (Although they have very similar postions with just different twists) Also, I do not see how they say that people who are backing Hilary won't back Obama they have almost the same exact positions and McCain has such a different platform... I just don't get it.
    Also, it really annoys me when people say that someone who is not backing Hilary is sexist. Or someone who is not backing Obama is racist...

11. Jake Jamahl, Atlanta

It seems project bizarro from Lunchbaugh is in full swing with all the right-necks impersonating Democrats on unmoderated forums.

I will admit he has a dedicated bunch of political lemmings but intelligence is not high on the agenda.

Keep up the poor work. Anyone with an IQ over 89 can spot your fake posts. Things must be real quiet over at republican fundraising with all the faux posting being attempted....

12. b black

IF MCCAIN WINS, THERE WILL JUST BE MORE BLACK BABBIES!
    EVERYBODY KNOWS HOW WHITE GIRLS LIVE BLACK MEN!

13. Bill

Ed from Oregon Don't you follow the news?
    The Pentagon and intel confirmed that Iraq had no WMD's nor any Al Queda. Obama wants to exit our troops from Iraq and finish the war in Afganistan, where Al Queda is. Our malls have thus far only been attacked by Americans and US troops can not act upon US soil. Get yourself an education there Ed. BTW Oregon, being a state, is capitolized.

how dumb can Obama supporters be? Don't they realize that the only thing keeping Al Qaeda from blowing up our schools, malls, subways, etc: is American troops keeping Al Qaeda pinned down and running for their lives in Iraq and elsewhere.

Bring the troops home from Iraq and Al Qaeda will be right behind them. You'll rue the day.

14. Kathy

Sorry, but I agree with Ferraro. Too many lemmings on Obama's side.

15. William

Sorry Miranda, dead wrong. We are Hillary supporters, not Obama supporters get it? We will never vote for him, we are not party puppets. Go Hillary or McCain

16. Sharon Minnesota

Ferro has found the truth and it's not with Obama. Truth is truth and can't be shouted down or disguised no matter how loud you yell or how much smoke you blow out.

God Bless America and John McCain our next President.

17. Oh Come ON!

Ms. Ferraro, just because people don't like you and Hillary doesn't make them sexist. They don't like you because of who you are and what you represent. I would welcome a woman in the White House.
    I just want the woman to be honest, have little legal baggage such as Peter Paul, Whitewater, Travelgate, Monica-gate, etc. etc. I also want the woman to be sane, so that pretty much prevents you from being there.

Obama has made some slips (calling a woman "sweetie") for which he apologized. Hillary has made some slips (dodging imaginary sniper fire) for which she apologized. Let's just move to the real issues.

18. Gwen NC

My hat's off to you, some still have the guts to speak up, speak out and speak the truth. And to the blogger who said "Obama doesn't need Hillary supporters anyway", you better think again. But, it won't matter, you won't get the majority of them anyway. Thank you Ms. Ferraro you are an important piece of our history and an important piece of our future, God Bless you too!! Sometimes the truth hurts. Jane Addams is another fine example, she suffered good, bad and indifference as well.

19. dmw

I will not vote for Obama as well. He and his campaign and supporters have been sexists throughout this campaign. I will not reward a campaign that is as mean and hateful has the Obama campaign. Obama is arrogant and thinks he is a saviour so something. I don't personally see how any Hillary supporters can vote for him after the lowdown, crude ways he has talked about Hillary by dismissing her as if she is nothing. Hillary is heads above Obama in life experience and working for the American people. I am very disappointed in the Democratic Party, they are not the open, welcoming party I thought they were all of these years.

20. im just sayin

to all you criticizing and insulting Ferrarro, you only make it easier for us to put our votes behing MCcAIN AND LEAVE OBAMA out in the cold.....'kno what i mean? ... not the brightest idea youve had to insult the people whose votes you cant do without? 'get my meaning?

21. Aaron

Ferraro logic:

If you are pro-Obama, you are a sexist.
    If you are pro-Clinton, you are a racist.

We'll be a better, more respectable country when you can question someone's politics/ethics/character without reverting to these outdated polemics.

Time to retire Ferraro to the political trash-heap...oops that was sexist of me!

22. Steve

Brava Geraldine!
    Notice all the old comments from Obama disciples.
    You will do so well in Florida with that attitude. Cannot WAIT to see the weepin'and-a-wailin' when Hussein loses!!!!
    Kennedy, Richardson, Obama and Kerry-The Four Horsemen of the Democrats' Apocalypse!

23. Rickymo

Where has the women been all these years (obviously not getting her hair done–yes, sexist!). She needs to just go away.

24. Will

If she will not vote for Obama, when Hill loses, then she is not a
    Democrat. And as a non Democrat, her opinion is worthless.
    Which is why voting for Hill is really voting for Republican-lite.

25. Cindy

Oh sheesh! I thought she had disappeared. It's disgraceful to use that kind of talk. I don't know how she can get away with it.

Someone again mentioned the sweetie comment that Barack made. Come on now, have you not heard countless women say that to their own women and man friends? I certainly have. There have been many, many women who have called me sweetie or honey.

Give me a break!

Sexist? No way! That came out of left field. I feel Feraro is sexist, way over the top, bringing up that stuff. When, when did he demonstrate anything that would convey a sexist attitude?

Finally, I'm an Oregonian and proud to be part of the largest Obama rally. We had 75,000 beautiful and happy Oregonians out to see our next President of the United States!