May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. ex-Obama supporter

obama will never see the oval office without the votes of Hillary Clinton's supporters, so i guess we know for sure he is out of this thing no matter how much money he spends.

these insults will not be rewarded with our votes.

May 19, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  2. Get over yourselves

How far in the hole do we need to sink before we realize that this whole Clinton/Obama fight has become devisive, and the republicans will win if we keep this nonsense up. I am not a Hillary supporter,but if she wins I will support her. I am tired of the republicans, and all democrats should be.

May 19, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  3. Tonya South Carolina

I am a Obama Supporter but I am getting to the point where I feel like he should let them keep this election if he doesn't win I will feel cheated and I will not vote ever again I hope the people get what they wish for, all this he can't win because he's black and because he said sweetie, I say that all the time it's no different than mccain saying my friend it's a figure of speech people in this world is crazy then you have Huckabee jokes and the people from W.Virginia on youtube with their remarks I am sick and tired of being sick and tired If Americans were blind would we still have this problem It makes me think twice about this place we call the free world I am loosing HOPE and I feel like as long as we have people like GERALDINE things will never CHANGE

4. Heather, IN

She is right....as inexperienced and green as Obama is, he never would have gotten even this far had he been a white, or had he been a less than stellar public speaker...but that will only get you so far. Obama is going to ruin this country...as a hardcore democrat I will consider voting for McCain and suffer through four years of G.W. Bush light just to give Hillary another crack at the presidency in 2012.

5. Tim Nolan

This is what CNN calls journalism??? You report one sentence from someone else's work and post it on your website and we are to believe you are still a credible news organization.

With such an inflammatory headline, I would have expected some commentary or even an example or two to back it up. Instead you just repeat Ferraro's claim (which is equally unsubstantiated in the NYT) and call it a story.

This is bush league rumor-mongering at best. You should be ashamed of yourselves!

6. Mike H

A Clinton surrogate playing the gender card. How not surprising.

Ferraro is a has-been. News flash, Geraldine: no one cares enough about your opinion for it to matter. Go find something better to do in your dotage, like playing shuffleboard. And check your own racist/sexist comments at the door when you do, lest one of your fellow nursing home occupants take offense.

7. Keith

It's sad to think that there are people on here that would really vote for McCain if Obama becomes the nominee. I am not a Hillary fan by far, but I can tell you one thing, if she happens to become the nominee, I am going to vote for her. Want to know why? I am a TRUE Democrat. We stick together. We unite. Another 4 years of a Republican President, who, most likely, will be a clone of Bush, and initiate the same policies that have flushed this country down the toilet since 2002, is certainly not the way to go. We need new blood and a new party to take over. Wake up people.

8. Larry Petaluma, California

THANK YOU R.I.F.!!!!!!!

I have also noticed these same individuals' negative blogging, and feel exactly as you! These are republicans in cheap (sheeps) clothing,
    posing as honerable Democrats!! Give us a break, we were NOT born yeaterday!!

To those listed individuals,....GET A LIFE!!

9. Alfreida Kirksey

Geraldine Ferraro, whatever happened to you since you ran for VP? You have become so hateful and deceitful. And, to think that I really had much respect for you back then. If you are a true Democrat, please consider what you are saying and help unite the Democratic party instead of spewing such negativeness. Senator Clinton is losing, not because of the media, but because she did not run a successful campaign. Your comments are so distasteful and is not representative of most women of all races, ethnicity, religion, etc. I will say a prayer for you and those who are filled with such hatred.

10. RAP

These responses from the OBAMA camp are the shape of things to come if and when OBAMA wins the WH,
    I wonder how he's gonna pay back the folks that rigged the caucauses including IN's primary.

CNN and MSNBC stalwarts,please help the public understand how you folks will moderate these flow after NOV,

11. Mark, in MD

Oh, okay – so every time Hillary loses a primary or caucus, it's because of sexism?

And she accuses Obama's campaign of complaining about racism?

Yeah.

SHUT UP.

12. Hillary support

Geraldine Ferraro who cares. You are not doing your party a favour by saying this. It means you do not care for your party.
    Shutup. Why are you saying this so that your fellow racist will join you.
    When God say YES nobody can say NO.
    I will vote for obama because I need of Bush/MCcain in the white hous.
    Go somewhere and hide please

13. Ken

The Cheetos Brigade of Operation Chaos is in full swing. If you're new to blogging and open comments in general, realize that we don't really know who these posters are.

It's an easy game. You see, a good number of these "Hillary or McCain" posters are really republicans strring the pot of contentious primary battle. I'd say that a fair number of the Hillary haters are as well.

By stirring the pot the way that they do, they get to leave an impression of devisivness. Note that one poster even threatens to take the protest to the convention, just like Rush wants.

Folks, most of us true Democrats are moving on and Ferraro is of no relevance at this point. CNN is just trying to raise a controversy where none exists. It's just a ratings game to them.

14. Emily

I am finding it very hard to think of voting for Obama also.
    My vote would be more about voting aginst McCain and
    the war.

15. TESAP

??? AS A WOMAN, I DO NOT FEEL COMPELLED TO VOTE FOR HC, OFCOURSE I CAN SAY THIS ONE IS CRAZY?????

ANY DEMOCRAT WHO WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN SHOULD JUST CHANGE THEIR PARTY..........

COME ON CNN........ FERRARO OUTLIVED HER 15 MINUTES OF FAME

16. Party Crasher

I know that a great deal of you want to make this whole primary about sexism when it is not. But if it is, the next time a woman of any age refer to me as honey or strapping young lad, I guess I should over react and slap her across her forehead by not refering to me by name.

Some of you ladies are making yourselves look as if you are bunch of bitter witches. If you think you are being targeted and treated unfairly now just wait until John McSame appoint 3 more Supreme Court Judges and other conservative Federal judges to the bench.

Lets see just how minorities of all kinds fair over the next 4 to 30 years. You Betty Rubbles better get a grip.

17. John D.

To borrow from Keith Olbermann's brilliant closing to his chastisement of President Bush last week, Geraldine Ferraro, "SHUT THE HELL UP!"

18. b black

MOST OF THE ABORTIONS IN THIS COUNTRY ARE FROM WHITE GIRLS WHO FAMILIES WONT ACCEPT THEM HAVING BLACK BABIES. WE ALL KNOW HOW WHITE GIRLS LOVE BLACK MEN!

MCCAIN 08! MORE BLACK BABIES TO MAKE!

19. Ryan Blanco

The Clinton supporters who will not vote for Obama if he is Democratic nominee prove the point that the election is nothing more than superficial popularity contest that has nothing to do with policy.

The differences in policy between Clinton and Obama are minute. The differences between either of them and McCain are vast. Any Democrat who vote for a Republican is a disgrace.

A woman called Sean Hannity's radio show last week and said that she was a Hillary supporter who was going to vote for McCain because Obama is untrustworthy. She thanked Hannity for exposing the truth about Obama and for being so fair to Clinton. This is the same Hannity who used "Stop Hillary Express" as his show lead-in when she was the Democratic front runner.

Every election the Republicans play Democrats for fools. Well I guess we are. So let me say thank you to all the Clinton supporters who will not vote for Obama. Thanks for condemning us to four more years of failed Republican policy.

May 19, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  20. Newly Independent Oregon Lilarose

Ummmm, I think Obama IS a white man.

He is half white.

He was totally rude to the female reporter who asked him a question recently, the one when he called her "sweetie," but I watched that video and he didn't look her in the eye, he just cruised by, Mr. Cool, Mr. I'm It.

Rude.

May 19, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  21. K.L.

Everyone thats says they are not going to vote for Obama. If Obama doesn't win. And another republican gets in the White House. Do not complain.

May 19, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  22. brian burgess

What you really must ask yourself is, if obama was white he wouldve had the nomination long ago, with ten straight victories. If he were white i would still feel the same about him. what about you?

May 19, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  23. thezeroofform

Well, I guess that means she'll be happy to turn in her Democratic Party membership.

Because no member of a political party should be allowed to get away with backstabbing.

If you want to vote Republican, Ms. Ferraro, please renounce the Democratic party and their (soon to be) chosen nominee. You can't have it both ways.

Who cares who she votes for? CNN and Ms. Ferraro should be ashamed of themselves for reporting such divisive non-news in interest of ratings, rather than the very serious matter at hand, which is the election of our next President.

May 19, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  24. Will

Can somebody please mail Ms. Ferraro a change of party form? I'm sure Senator McCain could find her a nice speaking slot at the GOP convention alongside Senator Lieberman and Zell Miller.

May 19, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  25. M G

In this instance, she really needs to be quiet. While she says she will not vote for the Democratic nominee she is obviously makes more than the "average american". I don't know about the rest of you, but I can not afford $4.00/gallon gas, this war, horrible economy that we are in now and their stand on the abortion issue. In my area alone, I can look both directions and see forcloresure signs. While it would have been nice to have Hillary as the first female president, it appears that it is not going to happen.

I have viewed all of the positions on different issues and Hillary and Obama have similar stances on the one's that will make a difference to me in my day to day life and this is how I am voting.

I know that there are many out there that feel that Hillary was somehow cheated or it was her turn, however, she did not run an effective campaign. I am kind of leary of someone who can't mind their bank to be in charge of my money. Also, her strategy after super Tuesday was not there. Say what you want about Obama, but he is running an efficient campaign. And as I was taught, if you want to know how someone is going to take care of business, look at how that have taken care of their own business and he has done quite well.

May 19, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |