May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. Martin in PA

Get a grip, Geraldine.... You are OUT OF TOUCH. There's nothing sexist about Obama and NOTHING sexist about anti-Hillary sentiment. An egotistical, autocratic loser is a loser no matter what their gender.

Geraldine.... GO AWAY!!!

2. Bev

The best news is that Hillary, now on the way out, disagrees with GF's divisive, bitter, and racist remarks. GF doesn't understand that Obama's call for unity around getting America back on a new track resonates with American's more than Hillary's solutions based on backroom politics that still don't work.

GF is behind the times. So, CNN, ask yourselves why you are pandering to her? Why aren't you taking the high road and focussing on whose ideas and leadership styles will reverse our country's downhill slide?

Bev

3. Keith

Everyone who thinks that Obama is in this position because he is black is disillusioned. Let me remind you that Jesse Jackson is black, Alan Keyes is black, Shirley Chisholm is black, Al Sharpton is black. All of these people who are black ran for president and never have gotten as far as Obama. He is where he's at because he is smart, articulate, he embraces change, and he has a clear direction and plan for this country.

4. Myke of Maryland

Racism is ALIVE AND WELL and feeding GOOD!!!

Women didn't even support Geraldine when she ran!! SHUT UP SWEETY!!!!

OBAMA will go down in history as ONE OF THE BEST PRESIDENT IN HISTORY!!!! Remember I SAID IT!!!

5. chris

I am with you, Geraldine! Hillary for our next president!

6. Hillary Huckabee Romney McCain Rodham Clinton

Because Hillary wasn't any more qualified to be president than you were to be vice-president, doesn't exclude others who would have been. You are now formally limited to nursing home privileges with a good behavior modification program.

And lastly, please cut off that beak of yours to spite that gawd awful face (which I hope we never have to see after this election). Shut your trap, hag!

7. 08 for Obama

Don't you guys (CNN) have better news to report? How about you guys report on me and my family struggling to survive? as for this old bitter lady who'd lost her mind a long time ago, please put the pet back on a leash!

8. Dee

ARE YOU KIDDING? Isn't she supporting the candidates whose husband was messing aroudn with young female interns?

Get a grip lady.

9. Brian MacDougall

Huh.

Let's see: wasn't she on Clinton's Finance Committee? The one that's driven the Clinton campaign about $30 million into the hole? But she resigns because she can't keep her trap shut (a bad case of Billitis)? I would have thought nearly criminal incompetence would be a much more appropriate reason to resign or get sacked.

Remind me again: why am I hearing this?

10. CNN REPORTS

Grow up Ferraro !!!!!

11. mike g

Please, go away! Why is she talking?

12. Monique

I don't understand where Ferraro is coming from why she says Obama is sexist. I am a woman and I've always supported Obama because he is the right candidate for the Democratic party. I think its incredibly pathetic that there are women out there solely voting for Hillary just because she is a woman and would rather vote for McCain, who doesn't even have the same stances with her!

Seriously, is this how you want our gender to be seen? Spiteful and vindictive? Please, stop insulting the female sex by saying we need to unite for Hillary.

13. asor

mrs ferraro
    obama coalition is the coalition of progrossive people not a 19 century dragons .

14. jude simon

This proves she is a real hard core racist,dont worry go ahead and vote Mcsame because he is white,you need to be in the Republican side(RACIST AND ARROGANT) because you have all the quality.

15. Mary

This woman needs to go home!..She has obviously not read Obama's life story!..He adored his mom, adores his grandmother, his daughters, and has a great relationship with his wife. He has no history of cheating on his wife like the last Democratic President. That is the ultimate form of disrespect. I hope she doesn't vote for Obama. We don't need her!

16. juanita

Geraldine is past importance. This (me) old, white broad says let her go back to wherever she's been the last umpteen years.

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  17. Conservative -CA

NARAL recently endorsed Barack Obama. I don't see the sexism in a pro choice woman's right group endorsing Obama.

Ferraro is having flashbacks to her run for the Presidency.

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  18. Karen

I'm with her.

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  19. Kevin

This woman is mentally sick. I blame the media for giving her the chance to speak out.

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  20. Bisola

She's a mess...all those people who said they're voting for McCain if Hilary doesn't get it are idiots. They obviously love Bush and voted for them last time. I'm a woman and I refused to follow in her idiotic lead.

Those who want a progressive, sound, and peaceful America need to unite! I'm tired of these bitter people, I'm looking ahead...

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  21. ya know

all these women voters that will switch from Hillary to McCain, go ahead. Also... if you don't vote, you're voting for McCain...

When you're in the booth... think "Roe v Wade" and about your children or grandchildren being sent to Iraq. All you Seniors, say good bye to Social Security. Anyone that has a "pre-existing" condition... keep your fingers crossed with McCain in office.

Policies!!!! You have to love them. McCain is going to be worse than Bush. Guy admits to not knowing enough about the economy and you tools are threatening to vote for him!

comical!

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  22. Hillary support

I will vote for OBAMA we don't want Bush/MCcain in the whitehous again.

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  23. LAJ

Is CNN hard up for news??? This is old news–from at least 2 months ago, I think. If CNN is bent on riling up the public, can't they at least be original and creative. Guess not.

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  24. Take back women voting rights

After this election, no WOMEN will be allowed to vote anymore. They are taking this country backward instead of forward. Put a woman in the Whitehouse, you can kiss this country goodbye.

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  25. jack

You go GERALDINE, I'm with you!

I will not vote for Obama either.

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |