May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. Kentucky

I think that she is a bitter angry woman – because she did not achieve her goal to become vice president. I don't think the world will come to an end if she does not vote. I wish I could take back my vote when she ran

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  2. David

What has that to do with the reality?
    Go and sleep Ferraro, you can't stop Obama.

Ferraro is ingnorant of the reality, that if she said that about Obama, what about Clinton, Bush, McCain or all other people?

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  3. James Pizza

Hmmm ... let me get this straight: Ferraro, who recently made racist remarks about Obama, now calls him a sexist. How sad.

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  4. Susan, PA

I am a woman and I disapprove Ferraro's message.

Thanks Clinton and Ferraro for trying to destroy Dems. I am aware that Clinton would contest 2012 but won't vote for her then also.

Women's power is about freedom to choose and choose Obama. Just beacuse Hillary is a woman and a Clinton, she doesnot qualify for presidency.

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  5. JAX

Nobody wants to hear from you anymore Geraldine, get over it already!

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  6. MuShoo

What sexist acts/sayings is she referring to? She's either a bitter nutcase, or the reporting on this post is horrible. Let's hear the examples.

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  7. Andy

Lousy jourbalism; they let Ferraro off the hook for not following up with – can you show instances where he has been sexist over the course of the whole campaign.

Just give it up lady and accept defeat like a good sport already!

May 19, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  8. Truth

You do not need to say this you racist...
    Remeber we are Ok with McCain too. But, we black people will never vote democrat again if Obama did not win because of racism

9. AtlantaDan

Obama supporters SCARE me! Good luck winning the White House with alienating women, blue collar workers, and jews. It is going to be very hard to win with the attitude you Obama people have. I have never voted for a republican and I probably will this time due to the tone from the Obama supporter and their "we don't need you anyway" attutude.

10. Shocked

I am shocked to hear that some of you women would vote against your own interests by going for McCain. I guess it goes to show that it isn't about the issues but about gender and race for some of you. It's clear now why they have superdelegates. Unbelievable!!!!!

11. QuietStormX

Sexiest, were is she getting this information? I guess because of her old age and narrow mind. Threatening to not vote for the Democratic candidate, Barack Obama for President is just mean and crazy. I've not read heard or seen any sexiest remarks or comments from Barack. Someone needs too straiten her out. Tell her to wake up! Another old white woman with issues.... and Closed mind.

Show some Respect toward Barack Obama.

Washington, D.C.

12. Weiss

she is so the Keynote Speaker this year at the DNC convention. Fun time will be had by all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Sophia

And to think, I used to look up to Mr. Ferraro as the first VP candidate of a major party. All those Mondale and Ferraro stickers in 1984. Well, "sweetie" you burnt that bridge with me with your racist rants. I am a woman (a black woman at that) and you represent everything that I hate about white feminists. Read some bell hooks let it swirl in your brain and you might get what I am saying.

14. Margaret Graham

I laughed when I read her comment about Barack. What America is she living in. As an educated black female in the country, I have seen a lot and experienced a lot, and most of my negative experiences was not as a female, but as a black person in general.

15. Gary, NY, NY

Just another outburst from someone who once had a modicum of legitimacy and now can unfortunately be characterized as a moron.

Why the MSM even tracks what she says is simply to spark controversy to pump up the ratings.

Enough already.

16. Woodi

Why, of Course she won't vote for him. No one expects that she would.. Who could ever in their right mind say "If he was white he would not be in this position' or if he was a woman he would not be in this position? Every other President was in fact white and a male and they were in fact in the same or a similar position, because they won everytime.

17. Dennis in IA

Spare me all the hype! I work in sales here in the midwest and get called, "sweetie or honey all the time"! Those people that have a corn cobb their behind need to get a clue. Those of you democrats that won't vote for Obama are off your rocker just like Ferraro! Barack follows the rules of the party, does not change the "goal posts" after each loss, and never had the problem of being invicible like Hillary! I would have voted for Hillary if a better candidate would not have come to the front. A woman should become president someday, just not Hillary, she thinks it was her destiny and right. I am glad we are a free country to vote our choice and the person with the most votes, that count, win. Barack has won more states, delegates, and votes, he played by the rules and will be declared the winner soon. Sweetie go back to NY, AR, or whereever you claim residence to suit you – the mighty Clinton Empire is over – finally!

18. Dina Phila., Pa

Keep your vote Ferraro! We don't need your vote.

19. Historian

It will be interesting to see when it is all said and done the way that history is written. My prediction is that we will find that for all the new-ness pledges from the Obama campaign, that behind the scenes there are the same well-seasoned political operatives that have used questionable tactics and provided Barack with the metrosexual equivalent of Reagan's teflon brown suit.

It started in the DNC committee that selectively excluded two states to deny Hillary early momentum, and a refusal to do the right thing to correct the situation, and putting up roadblocks until the clock ran out; followed by the orchestrated drumbeat of shifting superdelegates (which we all know are non-events); followed by the "impromptu" John Edwards endorsement right at the time when Hillary was making news, along with the sprinkling of "racism" subterfuge, and a few "sweetie" comments, and the constant hand on Hillary's shoulder and pulling out her chair, as if he was the care taker.

Who is the Rove in democrat clothing?

20. Christine

I really don't understand most of you people that claim to be Democrats and would refuse to vote for Obama if he gets it and Hillary isn't on the ticket? Have any of you ever considered that she might not want to be VP? Really? She'd have far more power as leader on the senate floor...and it would be much better for her to be set up to run again later. Those of you that are Obama supporters that would refuse to vote Hillary, shame on you, too.....People like you in both camps are what will get McCain elected, and then look at where we'll be. Get smart, and vote the issues. Quit being snarkey about it.

21. Yvonne

This is exactly what happened to the Democratic Party in the last election. You have people like this taking shots at the obvious nominee and it divides our party. Come on Democrats, do you want another four to eight years of the same thing? What is the matter with all of you that you would cross party lines rather than vote for Obama??? Wake up!! This is the Republicans at work AGAIN!!

22. FloridaVoter

CNN IS BECOMING SO IRRELEVANT....
    I BET THIS STAYS IN MODERATION... OR WHATEVER.

23. PJ

Ferraro said on Foxnews Radio that the only reason she is voting for Hillary Clinton is because she is a woman. Now you tell me whoes the sexist

24. Rachael Sullivan

Please name one of the othercandidates who has not called a random woman sweetie, or some other sexist sounding name, and I'll consider the accusation something more than LAME.

25. Uncle Sam

Have you heard the one about Sen. Obama being a third Bush term? Hey, it makes about as much sense as when it is pinned on Sen. McCain. Oh yeah, and Obama is a warmonger. And senile. Allegedly.

Americans for McCain '08