May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. WI

I think Hillary and Ferarro make a good couple. My teenage kids think they are both bi-sexual. Maybe that is her problem.

May 19, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  2. True Dem

To ‘TRUE’ democratic Clinton Supporters: To those of you who are true democrats who will support the democratic nominee Obama, we thank you and welcome you aboard. Sen. Clinton waged a tenacious fight and she is to be commended.

To All ‘OTHER’ Clinton Supporters: For those of you who say you will vote for McCain before you ever support our DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE Obama, please reconsider. If not, turn around, exit quietly and turn the lights off after you leave. WE WILL NOT NEED YOU AFTER ALL. Obama has a 50 state voter registration drive where thousands have been registered already, thus making up the difference of you turn-coats. We also have plenty of disaffected Republicans as well. Au revoir.

Obama ’08 for sure.

May 19, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  3. Tim

Geraldine Ferraro, I have some advice for you "get a life". Your 15 minutes of fame were up years ago. Victim of a "sexist media???." What a sad claim. All the negative things that Senator Clinton has been experiencing were self inflicted. Also, you say that Senator Obama has been sexist? Give some examples that he has used, not anyone who has said that they support him. Your comment that you would not vote for him proves you don't care about the country. He has won every category fair and square, yet you won't vote for him. Sounds like a sad loser to me.

Obama 08/12

May 19, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  4. bitter_in_pa

Hillary is as much a crook and a liar as any man.

May 19, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. leroy

Geraldine is probably the worst type of racist there is, thats the person who doesnt realize that theyre racist. I will truely pray for her.
    leroy

May 19, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  6. MARYLAND FOR OBAMA

Hillary is a non issue. She has run her course. It is time to unite the party and stand behind Barack. We have bigger issues to deal with than worry about what some racist/feminist/lesbian has to say. All I want is to not pay 5 freakin dollars a gallon for gas!!!!

May 19, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  7. greg

Now we know who she is and where she stands. All that I can say is: "SHE HAS NO CHARACTER"

OBAMA 08

May 19, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  8. Gwen NC

I don't have to pick another candidate if mine doesn't win, this is still the US of A, no matter how hard Bush has tried to destroy that, so it means I can still vote for who the "H- – -L" I want, I don't have to vote for Obama just because he represents change, it's not the change I want or think is best for this country and that's my choice as an American, "Remember"

May 19, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  9. Austine I

We are expecting Geraldine Ferraro to go back to Italy where the parents came from when Obama become the American President. You can go back to Italy Where you can practice your recisim like your brothe (Hitler). American is a civilized Sociaty and there is no place for you in the New America. Loser!!!!!

10. KT

She is a RACIST and needs not to no throw stones!

11. obama con Job

like michelle trying to kiss up on GoodMorning America this morning. Obama and michelle have no forsight... they insulted all would could put them in office and suddenly they get hit with reality that without Clinton's supporters they cant make it, so NOW Florida is his frined....NOW Michigan is his friend...........NOW, Michelle thinks Hillary is a great lady.

-PLUHEEEESZZZEEE........... try the next Mall. we aint buying at this one.

12. Chris, Middletown, CT

Its fun to have an excuse – I mean – Hillary could argue that "people don't support me...because I lied about my experience...and have shifted positions on everything...tried to pander for votes by saying I supported a freeze of the gas tax during the summer....knowing I didn't meet the deadline to even put the issue up for debate....and of course the support for illegals drivers licenses...and putting illegals on her Saul Alinsky healthcare plan"

Yeah...I guess I would of gone with "its because they are sexist" – dopes

13. JR

Funny coming from a woman accused of being racist. Tit for tat. Do you think we care Ferraro, you has-been?

14. Outsider

Once an idiot; always an idiot

15. stephanie, Washington

I will not vote Obama because he is an inexperience candidate if Obama is a nominee. He doesn't have any record that make me believe that he can solve the current problem we face in our country. He is a charisma and arrogant speaker and he wants change and I don't know what kind change he is going to perform. He used to said Hillary is a liar and old politician and etc...and right now he praises her. He already made a deep wound to all Hillary's supporters and they never forget his action and attidude. I don't vote for him because I think the only candidate qualifies to be elected president either Mcain or Hillary because their voting record and experiences..

16. Sean

Wow I see all you Clinton supporters are very easily swayed to give up your principles. Obama was not sexist and that is an insane remark by this delusional woman. I guess I'm allowed to say Clinton was extremely racist too huh? All Clinton supporters who care about the war in Iraq ending, abortion laws being protected, and the economy being fixed will vote democrat. Those who are frauds and either only care about a woman being in office or a black man staying out will vote McCain or not vote at all. Those here who say that you are FRAUDS and Hillary Clinton would be ashamed to have you as supporters.

17. Canadian Mel

Geraldine Ferraro seems to have evolved into a bitter old woman in her golden years. It's too bad that she can't put her own agenda aside for the sake of your country and vote for the Democratic nominee, whoever that may be, even if she has to hold her nose doing it, rather than risking another 4 years of Republican mismanagement. With narrow-minded, entrenched people like this in the party, all I can do is wish you luck America. You're gonna need it.

18. Blasian for Hillary

I won't vote for obama. His little sly remarks and cocky attitudes. He doesn't answer questions but that people want to know, and his racist wife is not right for this country!

19. Vernell

Just one vote! Go have a seat.

20. Cheryl

I agree wholeheartedly with Ferraro. This election has been largely decided by race, sexism and the media.

I'm poud of HIllary to have stayed strong despite the race card being pulled and losing 90% of the black vote to Obama, the Oprah factor, political traitors in Richardson and Edwards, the money gravy train, not counting two states that she won and the media. Pretty tough odds if you ask me and yet look how well she has done.

I too won't vote if Obama is the candidate and I am also going to sign up as an independent. It's not democratic to not allow all 50-states to vote and it's not democratic to elect a president via a caucus that isn't representative of the population.

As far as I'm concerned, this election is similar to the Gore-Bush election in 2004. Stolen from Clinton by her own party!

21. Independent in Florida

Enough said about 'Uniting the Democratic Party'.

22. Ryan San Francisco

I can see where accusing Obama of "sexism" would be a perfect guise for her own racist comments. The fact is, this old goat is no longer credible. Some advice in the words of Lotus Weinstock:
    "I used to want to change the world. Now I want to leave the room with a little dignity."

23. anonymous

this woman is really ignorant. i hate people like this.

24. Nel in Florida

Geraldine Ferraro is whacko. I am an older, white woman, would have loved to see a woman president but sorry, I am not going to vote purely on plumbing. I disagree that Obama has been sexist. As to his "sweetie" remark, I suggest he start calling any female reporter "Ma 'am". See how they like THAT.

If guys can manage to be called "Buddy" or "Pal" without getting their panties all in a twist, why can't the women? Who by the way, all call themselves "girls", so go figure on who is displaying double-standards.

As to Hillary, I don't trust her. She quacks like all of the other lobbyist-controlled ducks inside the Beltway.

25. AMB

Sour grapes, sour grapes, sour grapes! She's still mad she got called out on those incredibly racist remarks she made a few months ago. Thank God Obama's just about got this all wrapped up!!

Those of you who say you'll never vote for Obama, are you ready for more of the same old, same old with McBush?

May 19, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |