May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. Charles

So it is preferable to have a President who believes that it is best to bomb Iran rather than talk to them, bail out predatory lending firms and corporations that bundle those loans into securities and permit the lenders to continue their pratices, better to let insurance companies manage the nation's health care, better to elect a person who will put a justice on the Supreme Court that will vote to over turn Roe v Wade, better to let Social Security be run by Bear Sterns companies than to support a Democrat?

May 19, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  2. Linda

It's not surprise if she doesn't vote. So she and others are telling us they won't vote for Obama, what else is new from racist. We already knew racist folks were not voting for Obama. Racism is the very thing that will keep this country stuck in the gutter, and prevent some people from entering Heaven. So go sit your raggedy racist butt down somewhere unless you got some helpful news that pleases God's ear. Hell bound heffa.

3. Martin

WHY IS THIS WOMAN STILL ADDING HER TWO CENTS!!!!!!!! SHE IS BEYOND OLD NEWS. JUST SHUT UP.......

4. Eugene

Even if Sen. Obama names a Vice President such as Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, there will be some women such as Ms. Ferraro who will not vote for him out of spite. Do they expect to find the Republican Party to be the citadel of women's rights? You can't possibly please everyone, but in a big country you don't have to do so.

5. susanb2010

There she goes again... Comments like that are dangerous in that certain voters might heed her example and either sit out the election or vote for McCain. In doing so, they will vote against their own economic interests while thinking they're being supportive of Hilary. Since Ferraro isn't affected financially or any other way by another republican presidency, she's not considering how others will suffer for another 4 years. I am so disappointed in Ferraro and another pathetic cycle of inappropriate posturing.

6. Not sleeping at the switch

I think I can speak for the VAST Majority of Dems when I say.

ALL of you crybabies who say you won't vote or will vote for McSame OR leave the Democratic Party WHEN Obama wins the Nomination....SHOULD GO AHEAD AND DO JUST THAT!

We do not NEED YOU, WANT YOU, Or CARE.

You childish bitter people should break off and form your own little bitter childish state ( you can call it DeNial) and just WHINE your National Anthem till your faces turn Blue.

You sound SILLY to the rest of us and you BORE us with your constant crys of " I WON'T VOTE WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

SO SHUT up and DON'T VOTE ALREADY WHo needs you?

7. Carol - Colorado

Thank you Geraldine for speaking the minds of many of us white women who do not have the current opportunity to have our voices heard...(of course we will in the election). These media talking heads are definitely sexist...just watch Chris Mathews' body language as well as his attitude and comments about Hillary. Thoroughly disgusting! I for another have always maintained that if Hillary is not the nominee, I will NOT vote for Obama. How happy I am that I and other while women have great company!

8. wilson

Rev. Wright Obama's God Father. Shame on you Baraka H.Obama
    Go Hillary 08

9. Mr Independant

Surprise! the racist is'nt going to vote for Obama lol, I'm a real American. Don't think there's too many of us left. I dont care what your Pastor said, I don't care what your Husband did, I just want this ridiculous war to end! I can't understand how all these people that support Hillary would vote for Mccain. You guys are just as smart as Bush! That will show the Obama supporters! Vote for Mccain. He's the complete opposite of what you supposedly stand for! I know one thing, no way Obama supporters would ever vote for Mccain. I guess thats the educational gap. Anyone who lived in this country for the last 7 years and still votes Republican should be stripped of their voting rights like a felon. I mean i'm a business owner with a 6 figure salary but enough is enough! I'm voting Dems no matter what!

10. bernie

i have been a strong democrat for fifty years but will not vote for obama.we don't know a thing about this guy and i don't wish to give my country up to somebody i don't know.if he thinks hillary was nasty to him wait until the republicans get done with him.aunt ester obama will pay the price for all her remarks she made in the past.will vote for mccain.

11. RR

The Republican Party can use you! There always looking for old people who won't change....

12. NotALemming

Good for her! It's a shame the Dems have jumped on this guy's bandwagon. It's a bubble that's sure to burst.

I mean, he can't even take criticism! Now he's whining about people criticising his wife. The moment she went on the campaign trail (and left phone messages at my HOME on my answering machine), she became fair game. Hey, the Obama campaign has spent PLENTY of time and energy going after Hillary's husband. If you want to deal it, you need to be able to take it.

Hey, maybe he'll use his standard "get out of jail free" card –> call criticisms of Michelle racist!!!!!

13. Jessica, TX

In response to Dem, who said "Do not vote for Obama. We do not need your vote. This goes to all Clinton supporters."

I would bet that your candidate strongly disagrees with you on this. It is absurd to think that the Democratic nominee can win without the support of both Obama and Clinton supporters in the fall. Even the candidates have said they would support the other if not the nominee. Clearly, the reason is because both realize the need to have support from all people who make up the democratic base! What is wrong with you?

14. Cheryl

Who Cares!!! Looking like Hal Holbrooke

15. victoria ruiz

I do not understand why the media is treating this barack as if he were the democrat canditate. this race is not finish yet . we still have Kentucky, Montana, Puerto Rico, etc. I know in heart Mrs. Clinton is our next president. this obama will bring this nation in worse situation that is already . I am for you Mrs. Clinton go for it. this country needs a woman like you. you are an incredible fighter.

16. William

Thank you Geritol Ferraro, like anybody cares about you and your vitriol. If you are a Democrat, you could have fooled me!

17. Blaising

Sexist!!?? How is Obama sexist??

She's the one that pulled the race card...Sheesh!

May 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  18. The Dude

They want McCain to win so Hillary can run again in 2012. It's not going to work.

Democrats Unite!

May 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  19. Mike, Alaska

Hillary Clinton supporters don't care about the issues, it seems. I'd vote for her if Obama didn't win the nomination because they have similar stances and McCain's are pretty terrible. However, some of these Clinton supporters claim they are voting for someone who loves America because Obama can't be trusted for whatever reason they can come up with and would rather vote McCain than Obama. This is stupid and wrong, you should consider leaving the democratic party if you are going to do this because you're being terrible democrats.

May 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  20. jacqueline

I will Not be voting the Democratic ticket if Hillary is not on it. Never thought I'd see the day that I'd be voting Republican or Independant but although the times have changed, it seems the good old boys still won't back a woman for President and I'll never be convinced it ISNT a gender issue!!!! They brought it on themselves that a lot of women like myself will vote out of party lines this year

May 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  21. Geraldine Ferraro who?

Throwing dirt from the grave and kicking her dead horse too.

May 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  22. LBS

Now, Geraldine Ferraro may be using this as an excuse that Obama has been too sexiest, but the real truth is, her bias racism is truly showing! Sad but true, for this is the one thing that Obama will try to heal the country of–racism! There is an undertone of planting that seed as well that Obama has been too friendly with women voters. Isn't this the thing that almost ruined Bill Clinton? See the link. Well, at least she is admitting that Obama is good looking or handsome!

May 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  23. Greg Pa

You Obama supporters are so mean. Did it ever pop into your head that you are killing your own candidate by alienating Hillary supporters.

If Hillary won WV and is going to win KY because of a small population of black voters, one could say that Obama won places like NC because of a large population of black voters.

I bet many of you calling people uneducated can't even change your own oil. I have a masters and would not vote Obama because he is yet to state his case. I am as well in formed as most and would love to hear what you think about my statements.

May 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  24. Tosha-Atlanta, GA

This so un-American, to pout when your candidate is not the nominee. IS she saying she will destroy the party and vote republican.

May 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  25. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

you know... even if he loses the general election, it would be WORTH it to deny hillary the nomination she thought was hers from day one. i cannot WAIT for the day the clintons reign over the party is gone.

But obama's nomination will have been worth it simply for the level of EXPOSURE of this country's populace to the WORLD. That so many women would turn their backs because a woman didn't win (there is a word for that and it rhymes with riches)..... That so many would knowingly vote against their own best interests cause every fiber of their being will not allow them to support a half white berson (did i say that wrong...) ... shows the WORLD (whom we are supposed to be sooooo much better than).. just how STUPID and PETTY the PEOPLE of our country REALLY are. (and THIS.... after being led by a mental medget / right wing puppet for the last eight years)

May 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |