May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. John from White Plains, NY

Ms. Ferraro has been increasing irrelevant since November 1984 when she and Mondale, who I like, were destroyed at the polls in Reagan's reelection. Unfortunatley, her comment comes across as bitter and bigoted. I too have some reticence to vote for Obama as I am a Hillary supporter, but in the likely event that Obama is the nominee, I cannot in good conscience vote for McCain. It would be another 4 years tax breaks for corporate greed, Middle East military debacles and most importantly an opportunity for the next president to give some conservative jurist an opportunity to sit beside Scalia, Alito, Thomas, and Roberts and take away a woman's right of choice.

So, wake up people....McCain is not the choice if you support Hillary.

May 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  2. Charles

She is a bigot. No surprise there. Sad that she feels compelled to spread her bigotry.

May 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  3. Bis ND

Obama loves women ..."SWEETIES" ... in their place!!!!!!!!!

I still think he is a bit scary NARAL..........

May 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  4. Hilda

gini- Then why is she losing?

May 19, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  5. Jamey Columbus

True..... I kinda agree with her... Obama isnt my candidate.

6. DEMS IN 2008

So what is Bill Clinton?? Way to unite the party! I guess the HRC zealots won't mind a third term Bush since things are going so well for the American people!

7. Daley

Wow – how incredibly immature. Let me get this straight, Ms. Ferraro: because you think some the Obama campaign's comments might have had sexist overtones (something everyone I know would dispute) you are willing to vote for the guy who will appoint a supreme court that overturns Roe v. Wade?

Yes, clearly that would be better for women.

You are a childish woman, proving yourself unworthy of ever having held the VP nominee spot on the Democratic ticket.

8. ray

So Ms Ferraro thinks Barack is sexist. what's new? Just like some jews hold up the holocaust as justification for killing palestinians, she cries "sexism" because Hilary can't catch Obama. what a bunch of cry babies.

9. Luisa

I continue to read all these comments about "I will not vote for Obama"...it's a sad day in America when the American people would rather have four more years of hardship, strife, disappointment and struggle just became their candidate did not win the nomination. Talk about sore losers...but the real losers will be the kids who will not be able to afford a college education because the Republicans are continuing to cut funding for education, the single working mother of three who will not eat dinner because she wants to make sure her children are full, food is expensive however; she no longer qualifies for food stamps although she only makes minimum wage; how about that Senior Citizen who worked all her life and actually looked forward to retirement, now at 75 she is looking for a part-time job at Wal-Mart to her pay for her medications.

That's right let’s show Obama how much we hate him and let's place continued hardships on our children, single working mothers and seniors.

We wonder why other counties consider us petty, selfish and self center...WE ARE!

10. Ding, Washington, DC

Like most Americans, Senator Obama knows just about all the Clintons baggs., but he did not mention any of them. He runs the most gracious campaign ever some whould say. To suggest that he is being sexists is ludicrous. Ferraro will down as one angry person, and that's very sad. Why would she shut up?

11. Tom in MA

She is not the only one who will not be voting for Obama. Please, write in Hillary!

12. Nikki, Florida

We don't need her anyway, she's a crackpot!

13. Jeff H

Ferraro, you have much to answer for.

14. Divided

The gender and racial issues in this campaign are huge. Keeping the controversy in the news will solidify the divide. Why does the media feel the need to make a headline about who Geraldine will vote for or not vote for? The dems are in trouble if old (and young) feminists feel like they've missed there turn.

15. icruise

I think it's terribly irresponsible for a supposed party leader to say this kind of thing. We need unity to beat McCain, not this kind of "I'm taking my ball and going home" kind of attitude.

16. Charlotte

Join those of us who are going to write Hillary Clinton on our ballots. I personally know 30 who are going to write her on their ballots. I can't believe the Obama supporters who think if she wins by a large margin the people of that state are racist? I also cannot believe they think they don't need the Hillary supporters to win in November? These are the supposedly more educated voters? It doesn't take an education to know that it is impossible for Obama to win in November, unless we all fall in line behind him. That is not going to happen. Write Hillary Clinton on your ballot, lets show the DNC what we think of their choice.

17. The O

Will some one slap this heffer already. Please what the HELL is her problem, she needs to be EX-COMUNICATED!!!!! i say fine vote for McCain then let the republicans win. all she is doing is hurting the little guys, the singal moms, the hard working blue collar workers, and women in genaral. Becuase ROE-V-WADE will be over turned.
    Be smart vote for your party and your childrens future!!!!!

BARACK THE VOTE!!!!!!!!!

18. HAHA

she's a racist... of course she won't.

19. William

She sounds both bitter and elitist. Great!

20. Mary

Geraldine is right on!! I'm glad to see her speaking up. I won't vote for Obama either, because I intend to write Hillary's name in on the ballot (if she's not on it). The only way I will ever vote for Obama is if HRC is on the democratic ticket as VP.

May 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  21. Jeff

Shame on you Geraldine Shame on you... It's time for dems to stop this sort of divisive talk, it's fine to debate issues and highlight why you think your candidate is the best, but it's entirely different to suggest that the other dem candidate is not fit for the office. That is like saying that McCain is better! How can any dem honest say such a thing, McCain would be a disaster and a continuation of the neo-con Bush regime. Shame on you Geraldine, I'm so glad you did not become our VP, such a shameful attitude.

May 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  22. HSNP

So, any democrat that doesn't vote for the big "O" is a racist? I don't like being labeled and he WON'T get my vote. "O" supporters are a bunch of arrogant punks.

May 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  23. CW4Barak

Sour grapes anyone!? Well anyone who says they are a true Democrat and don't support the democratic candidate needs to give up their party ticket. Go vote for McBush, and you will get everything that your dear friends Billary were campaigning against. This is what the Billary supporters don't understand, don't cut off your nose to spite your face just because Billary did not get the nomination....I am an Obama supporter, but I would have voted Democrat even if he wasn't the nominee!!

Obama '08

May 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  24. berksdan

We can only hope that the million plus newly registered Democrats will offset any loss to the party by embittered old white racist voters.

May 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  25. Helene

Who needs this dinosaur 's vote ? She is racist and irrelevant to the general election.

May 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |