May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. Mary

I fail to understand why Women of all races are saying they will vote for McCain in November.
    Are these women ignoring the fact that he is looking to reverse Roe vs Wade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Women have come along way with the support of the Democrats and I shake my head when I hear how they are willing to cut off their noses to spite themselves.
    If Geraldine supports McCain by either voting for him or not voting for the Democrats, it proves that this election is being based on bias.
    People are looking at the issues but will vote based on emotion. Great way to create another 4 years of war, men and women dying for the all American cause, gas prices soaring, social security fading, no univeral health care, return to back street abortions
    People really need to think of the issues and no one but Clinton supporters will be able to take responsibility for the war continuing, gas prices rising etc and will not be able to blame the Republicans because they knowingly are talking of putting them back in power
    How people can turn on their values so easily amazes me

May 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  2. OBAMA MAMA

This woman would rather vote a man into office that's supporting a war that's taking the lives of men and "women" everyday because she's upset with Obama beating Hillary fair and square. Give me a break!!! Get a life or better yet " Save One" by supporting Obama. This man has done nothing that says he's sexist.

May 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  3. chris (hartford, ct)

That's brilliant. All of these voters who won't vote for Obama in the name of feminism will feel real smart when McCain starts appointing judges who are against Roe V Wade.

May 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  4. bill from pa

I hope all Clinton supporters vote McCain. The democrats are executing a circular firing squad. It's real entertaining to watch. The dems are desperately trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Go McCain!!!!!

May 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  5. Mirror Mirror

There is real news out there for those clamoring for it. Obama picked up six endorsements over the weekend (Clinton gained 3) and also gained a delegate in Nevada at their DNC. Let's get around to some reporting of real news.

May 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  6. tidho

Sh'e not helping...not helping Clinton, not helping the party, and not helping herself.

Smart female Democrats will vote for Obama in the fall because of the impact the next President will have on the Supreme Court.

Racist female Democrats will not vote for Obama, but there's nothing you can do about that.

May 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  7. Mauri

Good for you Geraldine Ferraro! Somebody needs to stand up to all the Hillary bashers - and for yourself! I KNOW your initial remarks were not racist - just like I know that without the women-over-45 quota system I would not have had the career I had. In this ordinary-biased climate, I didn't seem to have the "qualifications" for my job until affirmative action interceded. This climate continues in today's world, and too bad for Hillary and yourself, such a rule is not in place.
    What I also know is that it's awfully hard to vote for someone who has done a "number" on you such as the Obama campaign did. It was unfair and unwarranted. Regardless of the outcome, I will always respect both you and Hillary Clinton.

May 19, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  8. Dadedi

Is she KKK? Mmmmmm

May 19, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  9. AJ

I agree who cares!! She's already proven she has no credibility. She can vote for Mickey Mouse for all I care.

May 19, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  10. Chris Banner

R.I.F
    I am with you on this one, Thanks for pointing that out

May 19, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  11. jeanette

The truth is if Obama was a white man he would not have gotten as far into this campainge as he is . and i dont consider this a racist statement. if he were white he would have been out of the race just like John Edwards .. it has nothing to do with the color of his skin, he is not ready to take on the responsiblility of running this country any more than baby face Edwards..

May 19, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  12. to lisa

How can we not forget what HRC has done for us, when she has done nothing for us? I mean for real, she has not really done more for women than any other politician. BEING a woman doesn't mean you do things for women.....

Regardless, a vote for mccain is a vote against womens rights. Not voting is a vote against womens rights, and writing in anyone other than the dem on the ticket is a vote for womens rights.

If thats not an important issue for you voters out there who are threatening to no show or vote mccain or write in hillary (which is a no show as well), think about it this way. I, and many other people, am barely* scraping by. 4 yrs of mccain will put me out of my house and unable to drive to work anymore. Then I will go on welfare. Then your taxes will go up, unless you are on welfare too.

So you know...vote out of spite. I'm sure thatll help everyone.

May 19, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  13. Chris from Ohio

I couldn't have said it any better than Phil.

Phil From VA May 19th, 2008 11:44 am ET

For all those who say you won't vote for the democratic nominee(whoever that is) do not care about the policies. For you people it is about"who" is running not the message. Pro life or Pro Choice, More soldiers killed or not, More gas prices or not, tax breaks for the wealthy or not, Healthcare or not? Ask yourselves relevant questions.

May 19, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  14. Texan for Obama

All because she got caught w/her foot in her mouth.

May 19, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  15. Dennis

I do acknowledge that issues of race and sex have been in this nominatin process for some time. However, I quit taking Ms. Ferraro seriously some time ago.

May 19, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  16. cornelia, denver co

CNN makes a faithful pledge to support any of Obama's adversaries... You know how CNN reported the rally Obama had yesterday in Oregon? "Obama drew thousands"... And there were almost 100,000, namely 75,000... Record crowd! CNN is so biased against OBama so they use any worthless piece of news to minimize his incredible impact...

I know you won't post my comment anyway, as you did with my previous..

May 19, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  17. Griff

They'll turn on Obama with Venom..... He's a Loser....
    I give it just one year, and his own people will have diowned him..

May 19, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  18. susie

CNN does not allow a certain percentage of negatives of Obama on their blogs! They are really bias and I hope their candidate (Obama) loses.

May 19, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  19. bernj

She is just an old, one time wanna be who never was and still ain't.

May 19, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  20. Mark Williams

Well I guess this means Obama will have to write off the bigoted, bitter, political has-been vote. This implication that Obama and others were supposed to cede the nomination to Hillary because she is a woman is actually an insult to women. The governors of Arizona and Kansas and all the other prominent female politicians who are supporting Obama sure don't need to be handed anything. They won elections because voters thought they were the best candidates. Obama is winning because enough voters across the country, from Portland, Ore., to Portland, Maine, to Atlanta, Ga., to Nome, Alaska, believe that he is the best candidate and that he speaks for them.

May 19, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  21. Rick

Just more confirmation that the right team was elected in 1984.

May 19, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  22. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Sexist media? Puhleeeeze! Even I can see the bias towards HRC shown by CNN and ABC, to name two that are obvious. Nobody has destroyed Hillary except Hillary herself. She AND her supporters need to realize this and move on.

Do you have the guts to post this, CNN?

May 19, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  23. GOP losers among us!

R.I.F.

You are telling the truth. Obama supporters are good people. Clinton supporters are good people. This has been a tough contest, but I cannot believe that ANY Democrats would say the things about Sen. Kennedy on the blog! Whether its Clinton or Obama the GOP is shaking in their boots! Dems can turn this country around if we stick together. As an Obama supporter, I would vote for Sen. Clinton in a heartbeat because the next preseident will pick 3 Supreme Court Justices AND the US has lost soo much respect in the world, its time to re-claim our role as a world leader, we just can't do that with McCain. Another reason I know republicans are posting, they keep putting all of the "never Obama and I'm staying home comments" under womens names, they don't know that Sen. Clinton has quite a lot of male supporters.

May 19, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  24. Margaret

Any woman who would vote for McCain or sit out the general election because Hillary is not the nominee, would be helping to push the Supreme Court to the right and likely deny women access to legal, safe abortion. She, along with Ferraro, would be complicit in extending the Iraq War and likely raining bombs down on Iran. Such a woman is no Democrat and no feminist.

May 19, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  25. Republican4Obama

She's got her 15 minutes of fame, so who cares. My Heart and Mind say – OBAMA'08! Bring on the change! All aboard the Barack bandwagon!

May 19, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |