May 20th, 2008

Clinton: 'I've never given up on you'

ALT TEXT

Watch a clip from Sen. Clinton's Kentucky victory speech. (Photo credit: AP)

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) – After winning Tuesday's Kentucky primary by an overwhelming margin, Democratic presidential contender Hillary Clinton told a cheering crowd that "we've achieved an important victory" and that she had no plans to drop out of the race against Barack Obama.

"It's not just the Kentucky bluegrass that music to my ears - it's the sound of your overwhelming vote of confidence even in the face of tough odds," she said.

"You've never given up on me, because you know I've never given up on you."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. b

You know, I understand someone staying in the race to fight their fight, but all the numbers are stacked against her. If Obama had her numbers and she had his delegate numbers I'm sure the people backing Clinton would say similar things. Unless she's just trying to show that she could be V.P...but I'm not going to go there. That's for Obama to decide and I really hope he chooses Bill Richardson.

And I'm a woman and I'm choosing the person I feel is the best candidate–not hoping for the "first" anything of "first woman" and that doesn't make me any less of a woman.

Democrat '08

May 20, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  2. Rick Astley

Thanks, Eric. I thought you forgot about me.

May 20, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  3. Realistic

Well, Hillary is certainly in her support base in Kentucky, you know, the poor white trash who have a Paula Jones poster hanging in their cigarette smoke-filled doublewide.

May 20, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  4. Salida

Neither have we on you Hillary. I know a leader when I hear and see one. I am not about to pick an American Idol double with an unhappy wife and a racist for a rev to be president. My future and that of my heirs, nieces and nephews is at stake. WAKE UP AMERICA. LOOK AT WHAT WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH NOW. DON'T MAKE ANOTHER MISTAKE. ONCE IS ENOUGH.

CNN, please post this. I'm just way fed up with the media, Donna B. Kerry, Bill R(aka Judas) and the rest. Don't give me a wet sandwich.

May 20, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  5. NO MONEY!!

you've never giving up on anything! make your case to the supers, and go away, witch!!

May 20, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  6. No Hillary

Hey Hillary... get ready to go on vacation with Huckabee!!!

May 20, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  7. libby

Good Lawd, rednecks and hillbillies again. Are these the only votes she can get????? She must be a Republican.

May 20, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  8. Nancy

Hillary is best!

May 20, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  9. white woman for Obama

I think Hillary clinton has the gift of gab and she knows exactly how to fool those uneducated, blue collar workers. They believe everything she says. I guess old people and uneducated people are more gullable and believe a familiar politician so easily. I hate to see them fooled by words, that's all words. Hillary has changed her tune a little too late though, she was too negative for too long in the beginning and it harmed her across the states. Now she has seen polls about Americans not trusting her and she has changed her behavior and campaign. She has not been her true self . The real Hillary Clinton is th eone we were seeing beating up on Obama, calling him names, rediculing and talking down to him. That's the real hillary and now she lets Bill do that. They are some pair! I am so happy to see Obama taking the bull by the horn and setting the stage for November against Mccain. Even Mccain's manager is gone not campaign agaunst Obama, now that is what I call a man of character. Let's go Obama!

May 20, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  10. JC

Clinton: 'I've never given up on you'

because I need you to survive politically.

Senator Ted Kennedy and his brothers also said the same thing, but they really meant it.

May 20, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  11. Average American

Then why last year did you give up on us Michigan voters when you didn't need us, siding with the DNC to take away all of our pledge delegates?

Now you need us and your talking about how all votes should be counted? We should have been important when you didn't need us also, how disingenuous.

May 20, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  12. The Inevitable Outcome

Hitlery is continuing her inevitable comeback to the nomination and the presidency. Obama will unfortunately lose. It is their fate and destiny. Clinton is now unstoppable.

May 20, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  13. Jane L.

This was a very impressive win in a significant state. Those who've tried to portray W. Va. and Ky. as insignificant need to think again. And while they're at it, given the fact that this election is virtually tied, the DNC needs to give Mich. and Fla. an opportunity to vote as well.

May 20, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  14. Joe Reg

She has made her case.

She deserve the V.P. slot.

Go Obama go!!!

May 20, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  15. Independ

You know-I am still kind of undecided and i think if she was closer than she has a point. but if she truly was doing this for the people she would give up soon and help out the party so McBush does not get elected.

May 20, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  16. FreedomFromFear-Florida

Hillary's loan may be paid by OBAMA through the party .... How crazy is that. But I will still gove to OBAMA, I trust him. OBAMA supporters are interested in the GOOD for the country. We will vote for Billary if we have to. She is just a midgen better that McCain.

DEMOCRATS UNITE>

May 20, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  17. one nation under god!!!!

Obama supporters need to grow up.

May 20, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  18. Not a Democrat but......

GOOD NIGHT...........................

May 20, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  19. Black College Grad for Hillary

Where is Obama?
    Why doesn't he campaign in poor black and hispanic communities like John McCain.

Obama has not EARNED any black person's vote, he just expected it.

Obama supporters, quit playing the race card. Hillary and Bill have donated millions to poor blacks, and spent their life help poor minorites and rural people.

May 20, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  20. Amy in Woodstock, NY

I never seen a candidate so proud of getting the uneducated, and older bigoted vote. She is divisive and proud of her leftover voters. Thank goodness hese people are not the majority. Old bigots will die out and an improved educational system should help the rest.

May 20, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  21. Allison Marie

And we won't either!!!!

Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slam Wow **************Go Hillary Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE LOVE YOU IN FLORIDA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clinton all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  22. Ron

Please go back to work. I am sure New York taxpayer don't like supporting you while you cruise the country one last time.

Please step up superdelegates.

Go Obama / Edwards 08

May 20, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  23. Bill from Mississippi

Has anyone ever seen a democratic nominee who was losing by 65-35 and 70-40 one month before the end of the process?

Where 35% of the voters declare they will vote for the other party in November?

They are starting to see through Mr. Slick who is all talk and NO ACTION.

May 20, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  24. paul, nyc ny

CONGRATULATIONS, Hillary! You are an extremely strong candidate and person! You have proven to me, my nephews and my niece that NO matter what the odds to keep fighting for what you believe in! I believe in you and will continue even after this race.

To Sen Obama, tonight be a man and speak to this fact about Hillary. Ask your followers to STOP attacking her in demeaning ways. not because she is a woman but because you CONTINUALLY espouse change but do little to make your followers see change as accepting old guard while creating the new guard. Dont be so arrogant to think its not important. She may be behind you but look at the numbers she is just behind you ... not WAY behind.

May 20, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  25. Debbie

To: Keith in WI, SHUT UP AND TURN IT OFF. No one wants to hear your cramp anymore. You must be one of those men that just can't stand to see a woman succeed, problem is with guys like you, you can't stand to see a woman be a better man then you. Hillary is a better man then Obama.

Hillary 4 President 2008