May 20th, 2008

Clinton: 'I've never given up on you'

ALT TEXT

Watch a clip from Sen. Clinton's Kentucky victory speech. (Photo credit: AP)

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) – After winning Tuesday's Kentucky primary by an overwhelming margin, Democratic presidential contender Hillary Clinton told a cheering crowd that "we've achieved an important victory" and that she had no plans to drop out of the race against Barack Obama.

"It's not just the Kentucky bluegrass that music to my ears - it's the sound of your overwhelming vote of confidence even in the face of tough odds," she said.

"You've never given up on me, because you know I've never given up on you."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Angel

We don't need "Change"...we need STABILITY!

HILLARY '08

May 20, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  2. loribee

Will she never go away? She needs to step aside! Especially now that Barack has a MAJORITY of pledged delegates!!

WOOOO-WHOO!!
    OBAMA '08

May 20, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  3. Herman in LA

I have given up on you...

Obama 08!!!

May 20, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  4. Jane, FL

Good job! Girl, the media is not favour of you, but Obama. They critisized you much more than they did to Obama even his wife said some stupit thing, even his paster hated America, even he looked down poor people. Some American do really have problem, they fan Obama as a star, sign! Keep going!
    Let your voice is heard by all of the American.

May 20, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  5. mmartin arkansaw

you gave up on me,when you gave my job away ,with nafta....

May 20, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  6. Sharon from Dallas

Hillary you have ran a good race. It time for you to get out of the race. You don't have to be a math scholar to realize the numbers do not add up for you and Bill. Do the party a favor and stop trying to come up with all these scenarios on how you could win the election. Stop whinning.

If the shoe was on the other foot Obama would have left the race by now. Please leave while you have won racist Kentucky and WV by a wide margin! I used to have much respect for you and Bill but now I am very disappointed in the negative way you have ran your campaign and the fact that you can not accept the agony of defeat., But unlike most of your supporters if you were the nominee I would have cast my vote for you even though I support Obama.

May 20, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  7. kathy

and we will not give up on you hillary but we gave up on Obama a long time ago

Hillary / McCain

May 20, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  8. Greg Pod

Is Clinton really proud of the fact her backers are not college educated?

May 20, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  9. Proud American

Wow... and we keep beating on the dead horse.

May 20, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  10. GoHillary

Once again Hillary proves she can blow Obama out of the water she is the strongest candidate who has received the most votes and taken the najor states and has the lead in electorate votes and I see his chances of getting her supporters to vote for him in the GE is shrinking even further. Lets hope the DNC chooses the stronger candidate and not the one who claims to have won a month ago

May 20, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  11. Jay

More Bitter comment for Obama nuts...WOW..sad sad sad!

This is why we would never vote for him. Look at the freaks he attracts!

May 20, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  12. John

This is just another example of the media cutting a candidate's words into misleading soundbites. What she said afterward was:

"Don't cry for me Kentucky. The truth is I never left you. All through my wild days, my mad existence, I kept my promise; don't keep your distance."

May 20, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  13. Inevitable

Hilary is campaigning for the VP. She knows she can't win, but she wants too divide the party so wide .... that Obama wouldn't have to other choice but to choose her as his running mate ... to unite the party ...

how conniving of her ...........

anyways .. UNITED WE STAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  14. Mark

Nancy – Obama is a Christian.... get over yourself and quit spewing hate...especially Hate that is simply WRONG...

May 20, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  15. You make me sick

White woman - you are the poster child for White Trash.

May 20, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  16. DAN

I could care less who wins this election. I'm not fond of any of the choices. Just an observation. When Hillary brings up the sexism remark , do ya think, she has shot herself in the foot. This is what Americans are afraid she will resort to – the woman thing. Obama has not used the black thing yet – if he does – he will be doomed to. Run for what you stand for – I could care less if your a woman, black – grey, gay >>>> your a person. Quit whining – no need for a whiner president in this house.

May 20, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  17. Griff

John McCain... The Man of the Moment.... Obama the Juvenile, who lost his Moment.... Hillary is waiting for her's now......Only Idiot's will try and take it from her.... The Indipendent Lady! With so many door's ajar... She can walk through so many. Obama??

May 20, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  18. kim c

Just from the comments I read everyday, alot of Americans have some serious issues with race. If it was Obama who was behind and in debt he would have been out of the race. I do feel the longer she is in, hurts the party. She is just a sore loser because this nobody is ahead of her and has made circles around her. Now, she is crying sexism but what about racism- WV, Kentucky, PA, IN (some parts)- Hello. For her to say it is not about racism, is just unbelieveable. I will vote for Obama!!! No Hillary!!!

May 20, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  19. Ken in Texas

It has become quite clear to me that Hillary would win the election over McCain in November.That is why the media and everyone else is giving the nomination to the one who speaks with fork tongue,They know the numbers do not lie and he can not win.Really seems to me we have a fox in the Hen house,Why we as Democrats would send a person to run for President,who can't win is beyond me,Really has made me take a real hard look at the,Democratic party.

May 20, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  20. Sam in Indiana

If Senator Byrd can endorse Obama for the good of the party and Robert Kennedy, it is time for all democrats to take a hard look at this and stand together for Barack Obama as our nominee. Hillary is just wasting time or trying to force our hand. It is time to get to work in this general election. The Clintons need to know they had their turn and it is time for our country to move forward in a new direction. The delegate count has spoken.

May 20, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  21. Tim Ohio

Go Hillary all the way to the convention if necessary! In tribute to Teddy Kennedy! Teddy was over 1000 delegates behind Carter and nearly won!
    I know I was there! God Bless Hillary! God bless Ted Kennedy we are praying for you Teddy!

May 20, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  22. falloop

this is supposed to be a news network. i'm tired of reading stupid opinionated comments whenever i log on. if someone has anything of value to say, instead of Clinton supporters calling Obama supporters names, and Obama supporters calling Clinton supporters names or just useless complaining. please don't post if all that you will say is useless no matter what side you're on.

thank you.

May 20, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  23. Sully

Chris Mathews is talking about race on his show. Did the fact that 90 + % of the black vote voted for him in the Carolinas elude him? Or did all the NEW black voters really consider him the best candidate? C'mon, if his name is Barak Smith, a white guy from Illinois- he is already gone. If Obama gets the nomination- prepare for 4 more years of Bush!!

May 20, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  24. FreedomFromFear-Florida

I love Appalachian people and old white women, we know that IF THEY KNEW BETTER, THEY WOULD DO BETTER.
    sADLY PEOPLE LIKE THIS OUTNUMBER OTHERS IN SOME STATES.

The pathetic thing is that the Clintons know it too and PLAY ON THEIR IGNORANCE. That is what I find so distateful.

CLINTON did the U.S. a favor by fighting the way that she did. WE SEE HER TRUE COLORS. WE ARE BLESSED WITH OBAMA.
    Imagine if we did not have him to vote for?!

May 20, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  25. kathy

Realistic
    you define the word trash

May 20, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |