May 20th, 2008

Clinton: 'I've never given up on you'

ALT TEXT

Watch a clip from Sen. Clinton's Kentucky victory speech. (Photo credit: AP)

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) – After winning Tuesday's Kentucky primary by an overwhelming margin, Democratic presidential contender Hillary Clinton told a cheering crowd that "we've achieved an important victory" and that she had no plans to drop out of the race against Barack Obama.

"It's not just the Kentucky bluegrass that music to my ears - it's the sound of your overwhelming vote of confidence even in the face of tough odds," she said.

"You've never given up on me, because you know I've never given up on you."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. FreedomFromFear-Florida

AVERAGE AMERICAN,
    YOU ARE MORE THAN AVERAGE.... YOU REMEMBERED THAT SHE CARED NOTHING FOR CERTAIN STATES. Billary was so sure of herself until OBAMA. The media should pick up on that. Barack would not be so unkind.... He fights a good fight..

May 20, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  2. Djools from the Netherlands

This Clinton primary stuff is getting me tired.

Boys and girls, Hillary will rreturn. Rumours spread she will be a leading character in the next Austin Powers movie The president of Evil.

So I just want Mccain – Obama. That's the big one.

May 20, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  3. Sharon Minnesota

Does Obama have the required delegates to clinch the nomination? No? Then why the fuss.

May 20, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  4. DB

"You've never given up on ME"

Therein lies the problem. This race is very much about HILLARY. Not the economy. Not health care. Not Iraq. Not America's poor standing in the world. Not a unified country. Not hope. Not change. HILLARY.

Compare the respective chants of these candidates' supporters:
    Obama's chants: "Yes WE can"
    Hillary's chants: Yes SHE can"

This race is about the insatiable selfish ambition of a power-hungry megalomaniac.

Thank you, voters of Kentucky and West Virginia, for perpetuating this detestable lunacy, and for prolonging the inevitability of an Obama nomination.

May 20, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  5. blessed4life55

Why is the media playing this up. HER VICTORY WAS ALREADY EXPECTED. The CLINTON MACHINE do not want to give up, because she is definitely power hungry. It still hurts my soul to see the racial factor in her last two victories. How is it the media is side-stepping this issue? MSNBC is the only one right now I see who is trying to be very fair in this racial divide to see it for what it is. Even if Obama had "rolled up his sleeves, and gone door to door" as one commentator suggested ,those voters minds were already made up.They would have still voted for her. To be correct, the white population in WV and Kentucky is over 90% white so he knew his chances were slim. That was already the CLINTON TERRITORY..
    SHAME, SHAME, SHAME ON AMERICA. The country I love.

May 20, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  6. Pat in Cali

Was that 22 million or 15.6 million and a loan to herself of 6.4 million.

Look, just go to her website and give her back her $11.4 million and you will see how long it takes for her to bow out gracefully (a NY minute).

This is who you want to balance the federal budget. Come on! It's call deficit spending and she's not even elected. But I do admire her ability to get her money back.

May 20, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  7. Scott

With Hillary winning Kentucky by almost 250,000 votes tonight,the overall popular vote must be close now…If you include Michigan and florida,Hillary might be even ahead.That decision at end of this month might end up being important, If they make decison on Michigan and florida and seat them,and Hillary win popular vote overall and obama wins overall delagates..your gonna have some bitter democracts in November.

Obama needs to win Oregan by a wide margin later tonight(15+ points) or your gonna have some serious questions about his electibility in November.

May 20, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  8. Tania from calif.

MESSAGE TO HILLARY SUPPORTERS-

Do a write in for Hillary in November-

Don't stay home-

"I am Woman–Watch me roar"

May 20, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  9. spencer

Hang in there Hillary. You are the best qualified candidate..Obama has no experience. And so what about the majority of pledged delegates, its not the magic number..

May 20, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  10. Brent

It's the 4th Quarter, Barack Obama has the ball, it's 1st and 10 with with 1:25 on the clock. The score is 21-17 and all he's got to do is take a couple knee's.

May 20, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  11. Ted

Kentucky always votes Republican anyway. Will they ever wake up?

May 20, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  12. Jo Peeps

250,000 vote difference for Clinton. Enough said.

May 20, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  13. Heidi in Houston

Dear white woman for Obama,
    Thanks for pointing that out. It is the old people, poor people and uneducated people who are the target of telemarketing and mail scams, isn't it? They are the target demographic and a scammer like Clinton knows how to talk to these people. You're absolutely correct!

Sad really. Good thing there are too many people in the country that can see right through that family.

Regards,
    Another White Woman for Obama

May 20, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  14. Keith, Torrance California

This is ridiculous...she won Kentucky and within minutes everyone is raining on her parade..Obama has majority of pledged delegate, obama will win the nomination. Can't a person at least have a few hours to relish in their win without the media "coronating" Obama...I give up on CNN and the Democratic Party

May 20, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  15. I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR OBAMA

Why would i ever vote for a man that has many of his supporters bashing Hillary Clinton. I will not make my way to the pulls to vote for Obama. I can honestly say that i want John McCain to win so Hillary can run again in 2012. I can't wait for Barrack to lose for Hillary to say "I told you so" Just that all the people jumping on the obama wagon are so naive. They see right through him the GOP will tear him apart i can't wait to sit back and laugh.

May 20, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  16. Independant

If Obama is the nominee. I'm going to get out the popcorn and enjoy watching CNN when he loses in November.

May 20, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  17. Frank

660322 people voted in the Kentucky primary, the resident population estimate of this state from 2005....4,173,405 people.. Doesn't say much about this victory. I'm sure there are more than 2 or 3 million eligible voters in this state...those who believe that voting in the primary is a waste of time and have made up their minds to vote for Obama.

May 20, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  18. John Medrano

At this point, if Obama is the nominee, I would advise Hillary Clinton to not accept a VP spot on his ticket. Obama is definitely destined to lose. He has never appealed to the Hispanic vote, which will be pivotal in the November election. Colorado, New Jersey, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and Florida will be in the "R" column because that is where the majority of the Latin vote will go. I, for one, will NEVER vote for that egocentric scam!! Think about this, he was in the Senate, about a year when he announced he was running for President. He is not equipped to be our Commander in Chief, and the man truly causes me a great deal of consternation. If Hillary is not the nominee, I will cast my vote (like many others) for John McCain. I am confident and comfortable with him, even though I don't always agree with him, I do at least trust him.

May 20, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  19. Chris in Texas

BORING!!!! Can we please move on!

Obama 08'

May 20, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  20. Maru Angarita

Congratulations to Senator Hillary Clinton for winning Kentucky! Florida, and Michigan votes must accepted in Primary election. I have loved ones who voted for Hillary Clinton in Florida, and their choices must be respected.

Hillary shall be our next U.S. President. Boxing gloves may be needed, but hopefully, fairness, and not corruption, and special interests should dominate the results of the election.

May 20, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  21. JC

Hillary knew well that she had been defeated since Indiana, otherwise she would have worn that same Dem blue pantsuit, her victory pantsuit, in KY tonight.

The question is whom she should invite on stage when she concedes to Obama. Bill or Obama? Which one is more politically beneficial?

It's clear that Obama does not need Clinton's baggage to pull his legs so having Hillary on his ticket is extremely damaging to Obama.

May 20, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  22. Steve

Kentucky says Hilliary Clinton is obviously the best thoroughbread in this race.

May 20, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  23. vic nashville,Tn

May 18 Obama said Iran is not great threat to America
    May 20 Obama said Iran is great threat to America
    In 48 hours he changed
    Flip flop
    Hillary 08 0r Mc Cain 08

May 20, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  24. richard

Attention Hillary demographic posers. It is clear you are not who your tag implies. Nice try though.

May 20, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  25. Pandering

I just can't understand what these voters in WV and KT are hoping for... a miracle? Talk about sexism, if Obama was White, this thing would have long been over.

I can't understand that in America we talk about democracy, yet we are willing to have 2 families rule for 28 years. Bush & Clintons...NO WAY!

May 20, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |