May 20th, 2008

Exit Polls: Clinton runs the board in Kentucky

ALT TEXT

(CNN) - Early exit polling from Kentucky shows the magnitude of Hillary Clinton’s victory there. Clinton won among men 62 to 32 percent. She won among women 67 to 27 percent.

She won in all age groups: 55 to 39 percent among voters between 17 and 29 years old; 61 to 35 percent among voters aged 30-44; 65 to 28 percent among voters 45-64 and 77 to 18 percent among voters 65 and older.

Clinton also won among all income groups: 67 to 28 percent among voters who make less than $50,000 a year and 63 to 31 percent among voters who make $50,000 a year or more.

Clinton won among people of all education levels: 74 to 21 percent among Kentucky Democratic voters who have no college education and 60 to 34 percent among college-educated voters.

Eighty-nine percent of today's voters in Kentucky are white. Among them, Clinton won 72 to 22 percent. Nine percent of today's voters in the state are African-American; they went overwhelmingly for Barack Obama, 87 to 7 percent.

Filed under: Exit Polls • Hillary Clinton • Kentucky
  1. Dorothy Kincaid

Obama and his minnonites have been the most divisive people I have been involved with over the years. For every word the CLINTONS have said, THE OBAMAMITES have had evil and mean things.

I HOPE MCCAIN KICKS THIS BOYS BEHIND. Donna Brazile HAS not told the truth since she has been on the air.

WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET SOMEONE WHO LIKES HILLARY BESIDES LOU DOBBS. DOBBS only fair person on CNN

May 20, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  2. Kathie

Obama not bothering to campaign in states where he knows he's going to lose is arrogance at its worst. Hillary works hard in every state regardless of the projected outcome. I hope the voters in those states remember Obama's dismissive attitude when they go to the polls in November to vote in the general election.

May 20, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  3. GA Moderate

Hillary is the candidate who can win in November. SD's take notice.

May 20, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  4. Molly

CONGRATULATIONS HILLARY ON YOUR BIG WIN IN KY

KENTUCKY PEOPLE ARE SMART AND KNOW WHO IS BEST TO LEAD OUR COUNTRY.

As usual the obama group is a DISGRACE to their candidate.
    My question to you is: Since Obama has almost won – so "close", Hillary was told to step aside – for the good of the party, John/boy was to unite us all – WHY – DOES HILLARY CLINTON STILL GET
    MILLIONS OF VOTES????

You will say – those states don't count – like FL & MI, Obama did not even go there – those people are racist – BUT the reason is that
    HILLARY CLINTON IS THE BEST QUALIFIED – that is the Only Reason!

May 20, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  5. Sharon from Dallas

Kentucky is a backward state and like WV is casting their vote primarily on the basis that Clinton is white and Obama is a black man.
    This is very ignorant way to vote. That is why Hillary can rack up in states with uneducated racist people in them.

In Oregon where I am originally from people are not as racist and have more education so they don't cast their vote on the basis of race, and Oregon State has less blacks than Kentucky does. So, these are white people voting for Obama. They are smart enough to understand that if Obama was not the nominee they would still vote democratic and not republican. This is the difference between ignorance and bigotry. The people in Kentucky and WV better wake up polls show most of them are hurting in their wallets right now.They can't afford to cast a vote for John McCain. Gas will be $5.00 a gallon very soon. Obama is going to be the nominee, that is a fact!

May 20, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  6. D R

Clinton wins these states because people in this part of the country are still very prejudice. They seem to think they will carry the nation in Nov. because of her white prejudice and female support. What about the other side of the coin. Can they win without the educated white, and 90% of the black vote? I don't think so!

May 20, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  7. Greg

Regarding the religious exit polls, I don't really think that the percentage of people saying they have no religion actually have "no" religion. I think, like many politicians, too many individuals have embarrased the name of certain types of religion which leaves people not wanting to file themselves under a certain brand of religion and would rather simply live with overall religious ideals. Certainly some will be atheists too.
    As far as the the huge number of Clinton supporters saying they'll support McCain if Obama is the nominee, these people should be ashamed to call themselves democrats. Clearly "race" is the issue since Obama runs an entirely possitive campaign and both dem candidates have similar messages. I think the fact that "race" is most likely the issue, these people are not only an embarrasment and traitors to the democratic party, they are an embarrasment to the human race in general.
    I say this as a white person !

May 20, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  8. Joseph Adewole

Its very unfortunate to see how the Clintons have divided Americans with the racial politics they introduced into this race to The White House

May 20, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  9. Quik Math Quiz for Kentucky

1) Stare at the two numbers below just long enough to not ruin
    your eye sight.

1,741 1,929

2) Which number is the largest?

May 20, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  10. Brian

I also want to add, that Lou Dobbs who I used to respect seems to have really showed his true color's since this election begin and I see him as one of the most bias people I have ever seen on television and really is the one black spot on your network. Could it be more obvious that he would prefer to see Senator Clinton win as he twists and turns words as the Clinton campaign has done as well.

I never experience racism in my lifetime and thought my ancestors had went through it all in the 1960's but through Lou Dobbs, Senator Clinton and former President Clinton to name a few, I have seen a small part of how racism must have been in the 1960's and it is very sad and very pathetic.

May 20, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  11. Sarah

SO WHY NOT GO ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! I SUPPORT HER 100%. i THINK MOST OF THE SUPER DELEGATES ARE MEN .... CORRECT? NOT SURE IF THEY CAN HANDLE A SMART, INTELLIGENT EXTREMELY BRILLIANT WOMAN AS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES...... THAT MUST BE MR. DEANS ISSUE. GREAT!

May 20, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  12. A Proud a Jamaican

O.K. so when will this race be over? Or is it already over. As a Jamaican living in Jamaica I salute Obama. What a dream ? He certainly has inspired me and many other jamaicans. One Love!

May 20, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  13. Kathryn

Go Hillary Go! Thank you Kentucky!! Such a beautiful state with smart voters! Come on Hillary pull out a win in Oregon! We are so proud of you, my husband, myself and our 3 sons are all voting for you! Don't let the misoginistic, biased for Barack tv people get down, we see what they are trying to do. You will be the nominee!!

May 20, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  14. CaPIcorn2

I am a african american living in West Virginia believe me my state and Kentucky are the same, racist. I do not blame Obama not coming to these states because he will never win them. By the way the reason I say racist is because I have lived here for 26 years. These states have not caught up to the rest of the US. The only reason I stay here is because I work for the federal gov. and the cost of living. If not for that I would be out of this racist state.

May 20, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  15. Mike

Hillary supporters are NOT only women – I work with all men – all Dems and we ALL support and vote for Hillary – she is the only one to beat McCain. Also – we ALL have a college degree – and are mixed races.

May 20, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  16. Quik Math Quiz for Kentucky

1) Stare at the two numbers below just long enough to not ruin
    your eye sight.

1,741 1,929

2) Which number is the largest?

May 20, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  17. pam

I voted for Hillary. Barak, as a almost middle aged woman, I'veseen lotson men like him. I can do this. how? I don't know find out for me. I can change this. How? I don't know , find out for me. It can be done and it will hurt. But not me, my friends, my golfing buds, or anyone I remotely know socially. And if it doesn't work, someone else was at fault. Usually the woman or minority I said I could outdo. Well, he's a minority, .....But she will be the woman who would get the blame.

May 20, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  18. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

LESS THAN 100 DELEGAGTES TO SECURE THE NOMINATION!!!!

YES WE CAN !!!

OBAMA '08

May 20, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  19. Johnson

If Clinton gets nominated, I'm voting for Nader

The Johnsons

May 20, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  20. The real Anderson!

I agree with Greg!

May 20, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  21. Maria

Surprise, Surprise. This was another primary that went as predicted. Too bad Hillary didn't have these kind of numbers early on, she might have had a chance. I guess it doesn't pay to be cocky and underestimate your competition. At this point, Hillary's campaign just looks pathetic. Each week they have different calculation or formula to present to the superdelegates that supports her for the nomination. The holiday gax tax suspension is laughable – both Hillary & McCain should be ashamed for such obvious pandering.
    For those Dems willing to jump ship depending on who gets the Democratic nomination, don't come crying to us when you realize that you helped elect "Bush, Part III."

May 20, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  22. seah

If Hillary is not on the Democratic Ballot

McCain is getting a whole world of votes.

We the Democratic people want no part of Obama. He should never be nominee and never ever be President

May 20, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  23. Susan Norton

Wake up democrats before it is too late. Obama is a weak candidate and will not be able to win the general. The tide has turned against him. Even in Oregon, a very liberal state, the swing has been against him for the past two weeks according to the polls. Hillary is a much better candidate if you want to win the general.

May 20, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  24. R.O.B.

I mean what do u expect from a state like Kentucky. That is country music capital of the U.S. The place is full of rednecks, people who would never in their lives vote for an African-American under any circumstances. But Kentucky won't be a determining factor in November. It's enough people in the U.S. who are beyond that kind of ignorance to propel Obama to Presidential status.

OBAMA '08

May 20, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  25. Sarah

IF OBAMA GETS THE DEM NOM..... MY VOTE GOES FOR MC CAIN. OBAMA AND HIS WIFE MICHELLE ARE THE MOST ARROGANT RACISTS!!!!!!!!!!!! we're going to go from stupid to unexperienced and arrogant...... that explains Miss North Carolina's IQ.... how stupid can we be to let Hillary get away. she is our only and BEST HOPE!!!!!

May 20, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |