May 20th, 2008

Obama says his campaign is 'within reach of the nomination'

Obama addressed Iowa supporters Tuesday.
Obama addressed Iowa supporters Tuesday.

(CNN) – Illinois Sen. Barack Obama told an Iowa crowd Tuesday night that his campaign was “within reach of the Democratic nomination.”

CNN projects that Obama won the Oregon primary. Hillary Clinton beat him by a wide margin in Kentucky – but the Illinois senator is still expected to claim a minimum of 14 of the 51 delegates at stake in Tuesday's contest, giving him 1,627 of the 3,253 delegates that will be awarded during the Democratic primaries and caucuses.

"You have put us within reach of the Democratic nomination," Obama told a cheering crowd in Des Moines.

"The skeptics predicted we wouldn't get very far," he said. "The cynics dismissed us as a lot of hype and a little too much hope. And by the fall, the pundits in Washington had all but counted us out. But the people of Iowa had a different idea."

Obama congratulated Clinton's win in Kentucky, calling her "one of the most formidable candidates to ever run for this office." He dismissed claims that the heated exchanges between him and Clinton have divided the party.

"No matter how this primary ends, Senator Clinton has shattered myths and broken barriers and changed the America in which my daughters and yours will come of age," he said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Rave

OBAMA you rock. Hell of a show you had there.
    White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, Native Indians – all the votes will be for you in Nov 2008
    McCain is a Buffoon. Hillary is old news, forget about her.
    OBAMA / AL GORE 2008

May 21, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  2. dwho

Hillary is a lady of courage. She has opened the doors of competitions for women. She will forever be remembered in history for such a marvelous campaign performance. Bravo HRC, Bravo.

May 21, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  3. California 08

This has been a great race. Sen. Clinton has been extraordinary. The American people spoke tonight and Sen. Obama is the presumptive nominee. Now democrats need to unite including Sen. Clinton supporters and lets take on John Mccain in November

Democrats 4 life!!!

May 21, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  4. Zak

Great speech tonight in Iowa. It was the first time I've seen him in person—it was quite a treat.

May 21, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  5. Pat in Cali

Onward to Montana, South Dakota, Puerto Rico...

Congratulations!

Obama 08

May 21, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  6. JeremyP

Yeah, good luck and goodbye Hillary.

May 21, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  7. chitowngal07

I LOVE IT!!! THIS SHOWS WHAT A GREAT PERSON HE IS HE IS SO READY TO PROCLAIM HIMSELF KING OF THE WORLD WITHOUT HAVING THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF DELEGATES. I UNDERSTAND THAT HE HAS MORE DELEGATES I GET IT BUT IF THIS WAS THE LOTTERY THE STATE WOULD NOT SAY "HEY BARACK YOU WON EVENTHOUGH YOU DO NOT HAVE ALL OF THE NUMBERS BUT YOU HAVE THE MOST NUMBERS, HERE IS YOU MILLION DOLLARS !! HURRAY YOU ARE THE WINNER" PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK..

May 21, 2008 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  8. Franki

Yes it is just about over. Sen. Hillary I looking forward to you knoting down other wall for us woman

May 21, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  9. Joseph in PA

In one way it is a shame two such bright stars had to rise at the same time, but the primary has brought out millions of new voters and reignited the interests of those who have felt powerless before.

I have been impressed with how Sen. Obama has run his campaign, financially, positively, and with dignity. While at times I have been disappointed in the Clinton campaign, when all is said and done, she did him a great service with her tough campaign by making him a better candidate. For this we should all be grateful.

It is time to rally around Senator Obama now and pay serious attention to gaining back the White House for the people and helping secure a more democratic Congress to help Sen. Obama as President.

I was not an original supporter of the winning Democratic Candidates 3 of the past 5 times, but once the people have voted, it is time to support the nominee as much as one can. I am a member of the Democratic Party, not the Clinton Party or the Obama Party.

We need to remember that.

May 21, 2008 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  10. NoHillaryOnVpTicket

Thanks Barack for running a great and tasteful race. You never degraded yourself or anyone else and you are a true gentleman even to Hillary who has defamed you to oblivion! Thanks for giving her props for being the first serious woman candidate... but Please do not give this woman the position of VP. She is being greedy and selfish, since she already lived there. She has very low character and I would be worried about your safety with her being so desperate to be President. Do Not do it! I would rather you loose to McCain, than give her the opportunity to dog you out during your presidency as VP. Sorry Hillary Haters....

May 21, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  11. John Smith

It looks like the DEMS really know HOW to lose. It could be that it is the party with the most uneducated and vulnerable folks in this world.

Let the Dems give Hillary to the Republicans. Indeed, the Republicans are really eager for a "fighter" not a uniter. The Republicans will have no problem opening up their "war chest" against the Clintons. They will start where the Clintons left off– the White House items that were stolen and end up with "Bosnia fire." Yeah, let Hillary be the nominee for our women in this nation; blacks should work harder, they are not yet ready!

May 21, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  12. Mtui

I support this CHANGE that people have believed in! Congratulations Obama and people of USA. Hillary, the world has seen your bravity and you have fought a good fight, give hand to your fellow democrats and join hands to build ONE America!

May 21, 2008 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  13. Mina

I'm still behind Hillary 1,000++ percent. . .but, If Obama wins because this nation is so testosterone driven. . he's so green, and so attorney/car salesman like, not even qualified. . .I'm voting for McCain. This is a serious issue people!!! Didn't you learn your lesson from our last president? Everyone wants to complain about Bush. .lowest ratings, but take responsibility for your actions. You voted him in, not me. Just as you are voting Obama in, not me!!!!!

May 21, 2008 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  14. NoHillaryOnVpTicket

Unfortunately many Hillary supporters are being racist in choosing who to vote for. It is sad and shows extreme ignorance. How would yall like it if someone looked at you and did the same thing? For the Hillary racist.... remember Barack is PART WHITE!!!! If that is what you need to hear in order to vote for him in November...then put a post it note on your refridgerators and everytime you hate him because of his golden complexion... remind your self that he is half YOU! Be proud.

May 21, 2008 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  15. Mina

Yes, Obama is a car salesman or RE agent. Very charming (to some. ..I don't see it. . i think it's all hype and , idiots following the idoits. . . draws you along, but will not deliver.

May 21, 2008 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  16. Joanna Wurzler

No, not nomination yet. Hillary Clinton is very fair and she only defenses herself. In this campain She has been pushed and attacked every single day.

May 21, 2008 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  17. Sean

Please let this interminable primary end soon.

May 21, 2008 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  18. Jose

Obama-Webb!

May 21, 2008 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  19. Mina

And, lastly, the media still caters to men. . .testosterone driven society. . .just as general society and time to overcome it. Women need to work harder for a smigen of recognition, as Hillary has done and has the brains and experience to lead this country. . .vs. Obama being praised for his charm. . .car saleman looks and demenor. Get real !!!!

May 21, 2008 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  20. Obama supporter

yes we can and yes we have!!!!

May 21, 2008 03:08 am at 3:08 am |
  21. Mina

why are my comments waiting moderation???? Rules made by a man, I suppose.

May 21, 2008 03:08 am at 3:08 am |
  22. Sandy

Well, the con man may have done it. And we let him.

God help us all.

May 21, 2008 03:09 am at 3:09 am |
  23. Sandy

Now he's trying to appear to take the high road? He is such a hypocrite.

This weasel may be conning his way into the White House . . . and we're letting him.

God help us all.

May 21, 2008 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  24. PKH

From Florida with love.
    I have watched, listened and judged each issue from both sides of the ( Clinton and Obama) (Obama and Clinton) exchange. As a Floridian, an American, born and raised in the USA. I have the RIGHT to stand up and be counted. To deny me a voice in the election process is nothing short of treason. What person or person's sitting on a committee has the right to say to me , Your vote does not count because we choose not to listen to you. Yes, it is that simple!!! Who made up the rules, not me, I'm just a voter who wants my voice heard or not heard. It's my choice to make not yours. This issue should be evaluated by the Supreme Court because I'm an American.

May 21, 2008 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  25. dada

I said before and I say now>>>>>Obama is the new leader and Clinton is the new VP.

May 21, 2008 03:23 am at 3:23 am |