May 20th, 2008

Poll: Obama gaining support with key Clinton demographics

Sen. Clinton was introduced by her husband at a campaign event in Louisville, Kentucky Monday.

(CNN) – A day after Sen. Hillary Clinton declared that the Democratic nomination fight was “nowhere near over,” polling data released Tuesday suggest Clinton is losing ground with key demographic groups that have powered her campaign so far.

Sen. Barack Obama’s 16-point lead over Clinton in the latest Gallup daily tracking poll of Democrats and Democratic-leaning voters comes from even higher support among groups that have been supporting him throughout the primary race, and from newfound support among several groups that have backed Clinton.

Obama leads or ties Clinton among women, Easterners, whites, adults with no college education, and Hispanics, with the New York senator’s support now below 50 percent in each group, according to Gallup. Both are backed by 47 percent of white voters surveyed, and Obama is essentially tied with Clinton – 47 percent to 46 percent – among Democrats whose education level is a high school diploma or less.

Clinton’s advantage among women overall seems to have evaporated, with Obama now holding a lead within the survey’s three point margin of error, 49 percent to 46 percent. Hispanics favor Obama over Clinton by 7 percentage points, 51 percent to 44 percent. And Obama now leads among voters in Eastern states by 9 percentage points over Clinton – 52 percent to 43 percent.

Clinton’s standing with whites has fallen by five percentage points during the month of May. With Hispanics, Clinton has lost eight percentage points in the same time period. Clinton’s support with Easterners has fallen by seven percentage points and with women, Clinton has last four percentage points in May. Women age 50 or older is the only major demographic group where a majority, 52 percent, still support the New York senator.

Obama’s support among voters with postgraduate education, voters with monthly incomes of at least $5000, and men – has grown to the point that, he now leads Clinton by a margin of 2-to-1. Among voters 29 or younger, Obama leads Clinton by a margin of nearly 3-to-1.

Gallup’s results released Tuesday are based on a survey of 1,261 Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters using combined data from May 16-18, 2008. The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus three percentage points. Gallup’s May 1-13 daily tracking poll results are based on a survey of 5,474 Democratic or Democratic-leaning voters. The May 1-13 survey results have a margin of error of plus or minus one percentage point.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Polls
  1. sue

Why are people saying they will vote for McCain if Hillary loses? Basically, they have pretty much decided their views are parallel. Also, this forum, in my opinion, is for venting only, and no one reads the garbage people post. It's just opinion, and that counts for nothing.

May 20, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  2. Neutral

Polls! Polls! Too many polls! Obambi is the nominee? Sure! Whatever turns you on! Will he be the next President, HELL NO!

McCain will be the next President, get used to it Obambi supporters!

One thing I can say with Dems, you're too stupid to be trusted to elect a President, you ALWAYS choose the WEAKEST candidate in your party for General Election. Keep on choosing weakest candidate for Presidential Election Dems, Republicans will continue staying in the Whitehouse while all of you are fidgeting why did you lose THIRD in a ROW........ROTFLMAO!!!!!

May 20, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  3. cpljoeb from NC

I am a republican, combat Marine Veteran who is going to vote democratic, first for me and many of my friends and family will also. If you democrats dont get together to beat McCain, he will win and I dont want to see that. He is a flip-flopper who has no control of his own party. We dont need another 4 or 8 years of Bush and I voted for him. Please get it together, no matter who or what you are.

May 20, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  4. Michael, Farmington, NH

Hillary Clinton supporters who don't like Barack Obama are indirectly spewing their venom at their fellow Americans who have voted for and do fervently support Obama. It isn't Obama that they dislike: it is the will of the majority that has spoken thus far that they can't stand.

Grow up.

Obama is going to be the nominee and all of you are needed to help defeat McCain and the republicans in November. This is a golden opportunity and it would be tragic (yet not unpredictable of Clinton supporters) if some bitter constituents contributed to a democratic defeat out of nothing more than infantile spite.

Again: grow up Clinton supporters. We have a presidential race to win in November. This isn't about Clinton or Obama. This is about the best direction for our country. Don't let your childish hubris ruin the golden opportunity for everyone.

May 20, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. Linda

Why would anyone consider Obama to be a good choice to lead this country- don't you listen to what he says. Just look at his close ties to his minister which he admits he sits in church every Sunday and listens to him preach. Come on folks see thorugh the smoke screen if he is elected this will be bad. Remember the terrorist tell us our country will be brought down from within – hmmm ...

May 20, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  6. Anonymous

It's now amusing how the final defeatist whine of the Clinton fans is that "it's the media". Well if Clinton can't handle the media then she can't be President. She lost the battle, you can't say if only we'd fought somewhere else, or it was the wrong time, it was the wrong votes etc etc. Clinton lost simply because she's not smart enough, tough enough or good enough to be the President. I don't care if you think she's a better candidate. The better candidate is the one that knows how to beat the system as it exists. She hasn't.

May 20, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  7. eldon kerns

When it gets cold in Oregon and you want to turn up the thermostat or if you are hungry or you need to drive maybe Barrack will call the European union and see if we are permitted to have the little bit extra that Americans deserve for working hard..Obama will never be my president I work hard for all I have in life nobody gave me anything and to all of you giving this man this race I hope you will some day be ashamed and you will deserve all that will happen to us and this great country.I was born poor but there never is a day that I am not proud of this great land.Yes we can! Yes we can destroy this way of life our founding fahers began for us and a vote for Obama will start our race to the bottom.

May 20, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  8. Tommy

To all the people that are saying they could never support Obama: Please, if you get the opportunity to hear him speak in person, do so if you can. He has a great message and plan for America and the future of our country. I really think he can win you over if you just keep an open mind and give him a chance. He is OUR best candidate for the future of OUR country!

May 20, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  9. Sue Z Q

Barack ROCKS!

Obama 08/12 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  10. Sandi

You always hear about these "polls". I know absolutley no one who will vote or wants Obama as president. Makes me wonder just how influential the media actually is in people making a decision based on facts or just following the heard.

May 20, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  11. Eric

Clinton Supporter May 20th, 2008 12:54 pm ET

How amusing that Barack called a reporter, Honey. He later added it was "a bad habit" of his for a long time and means nothing. If someone called Barack the N word, explaining that it was "a bad habit for a long time and means nothing," would the boys on MSNBC and CNN treat as a joke and trivialize it? You tell me.

There's not enough money in the world to get me or anyone I know to vote for Barack Obama, arrogant, sexist and out of touch. The Democrats apparently have a death wish. I hope they get what they wish for.

SWEETIE! U JUST DONT GET IT. THE "N" WORD IS NOTHING LIKE CALLING SOMEONE "SWEETIE"

May 20, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  12. S. Shay

Why are supposed Clinton supporters angry because support is shifting to Obama? Hillary Clinton CANNOT win this primary season AND win the general election. It’s simply not possible because to win this primary season the DNC would have to make up or use some backwards rule and overturn the will of the people who have voted more for Obama than for Clinton. The only way she wins is thru a technicality and if anyone thinks the AA’s who already aren’t voting for her and the progressive Dems who already aren’t voting for her and the young people who already aren’t voting for her and the Latino community who has been silent for some time (and deftly silent after Clinton has declared it is the white people who will lead her to the White House) then you are pretty delusional. Now back to my point, there are a lot of Republicans trolling boards like this pretending to be Hillary supporters who say bad things about Obama and or Hillary to cause a divide. Any true Dem, realizing that their candidate has lost, should be happy that people are rallying around one candidate, intent on getting the Dem into the White House. That is how true Dems think and anyone suggesting otherwise might not be a Dem after all.

May 20, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  13. Dena

It's the beginning of the MLK dream! Don't pay attention to Hillary as she plays the tired old race card to bring about fear. This is our election, our America. We are going to get our boys out of harm's way in just a few more months and turn this economy around too. Hold on, we're coming!

May 20, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  14. M

This election is the Democrats to lose. Seems like some don't realize that when they say they would vote for McCain instead of Obama. If McCain wins the White House they would have no one t blame but themselves.

May 20, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  15. democrat

I"ll never believe this was a fair and honest election. I will never vote for Obama I will never trust the media.I will never believe anything Howard Dean says. I will never trust Obama. I will never believe that our president is selected by the peoplell.
    I know there are millions of others who feel the same way.
    I hope Obama supporters have enjoyed their bitter remarks, making fun of people who were not for Obama, and white people who they thought were not educated although a lot of them are, and I hope their hate and lies fon Hillary doesnt spew over to their mothers. The unfairness of the media is sickening.

May 20, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  16. tony in nj

How pathetic!

Doesn't Clinton realize that maybe people just don't like (or trust) her?

The fact that she admitted lying about being under sniper fire during the PA debate, should make people wonder about what else she lied about.

With her apparent involvement in her husband's adminstration, I cannot think that her adminstrative policies would differ more than his.

What with the travel scandal, the Whitewater scandal, and poor Vince Foster, to name only a few, maybe there are reasons, other than sexism, as to why some of us have the audacity to not like her.

Her arrogance puts her husband's to shame.

As far as sexism goes, I think the hill folk's votes speak for sexism versus racism.

May 20, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  17. Dan F

This just demonstrates that Obama is likely to be able to capture Hillary's support base over time; it's already starting.

May 20, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  18. JOSH

who cares about polls go hillary

May 20, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  19. Ed

Yahoooooo! They are catching the vision now. Dems will definitely unite....

May 20, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  20. Jeff

She's not losing my support!

May 20, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  21. BDT

The crook who need's to be in jail is at 1600 !!!!

May 20, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  22. Steve

Obama? Clinton?......pick your poison.

May 20, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  23. sky

I know you people here at CNN have really benefited by this close contest but now you are just wasting our time. Let it go.

May 20, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  24. Eric

I love Obama. But, after reading all of these comments, and speaking to bitter Hilary fans. Obama is going to have to choose her as a running mate. She can really help him out.

May 20, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  25. Patrick

"I'm a woman who is pro-choice. I will not vote for Obama if my girl Hillary is not the nominee." THAT MAKES SENSE. I didn't care about a woman's right to choose, my son or daughter being killed in a worthless war, or the economy my grand children are to inherit.

GET A CLUE PEOPLE. Jesus. Here are the facts. Hillary Clinton re-invented herself so many times people were confused. She caught some fire in states that favor her demographically but it's too little too late. Time to stand down and fall in line.

May 20, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |