May 20th, 2008

Richardson to campaign for Obama in Puerto Rico

Gov. Richardson endorsed Sen. Obama in March.
Gov. Richardson endorsed Sen. Obama in March.

NEW YORK (CNN) – Former presidential rival turned supporter Bill Richardson will campaign this week for Barack Obama in Puerto Rico, 10 days before the Commonwealth holds its Democratic primary, a Richardson aide tells CNN.

Richardson, the governor of New Mexico and former Cabinet official, is one of the most prominent Hispanic politicians in the nation. He sought the Democratic presidential nomination, but dropped out of the race after a poor showing in the New Hampshire primary.

While Richardson served in President Bill Clinton’s Cabinet, he chose to endorse Obama over Hillary Clinton in late March. Hillary Clinton has performed better than Obama with Hispanic voters, although the latest Gallup tracking poll suggests that the Illinois senator has erased his disadvantage with that key voting bloc.

Richardson will visit the Commonwealth on Thursday.

Fifty-five pledged delegates are at stake June 1 when Puerto Rico Democrats head to the polls.

CNN will have exclusive poll data from the Puerto Rico primary.

1. maryann

So what, I feel this guy is nothing but a backstabbing rat.

May 20, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  2. carrie

YES! Send Judas Escariot to Perto Rico. They have been planning this all along. First it was Edwards news of supporting him after a big loss and then Richardson again after another big loss. Clinton will never win the nomination because it has been decided already.

I am tired of watching this whole parade. And CNN keep supporting only one candidate because it is obvious! I am still undecided here.

May 20, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  3. Griff

One thing I have found out the most... Make comment's and Praise the Idiot Obama.....OK...... OK....l Ok... Praise Hillary Clinton??? But you can't do that... She's just a Woman.... Since when did Black's appreciate their Women..... Say's CNN... Every time I compliment Hillary... CNN decide to disregard my comment.... Maybe I embarras too many Black's....????????????????

May 20, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  4. DWC

I have no respect for Gov. Richardson. If he couldn't support Clinton publicly, he should have just kept quiet. His endorsement didn't gain Obama a lot, if anything, it cost him as a lot of people saw Richardson's endorsement as just a stab in the back to the Clintons. A lot of people still see loyalty as an important character trait, and Richardson obviously is lacking in that department.

May 20, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  5. Fernando in ATL

As a Hispanic, I have to say that Richardson does NOT represent me or the Hispanics I know. As a Secretary of Energy, he did NOTHING. If he had done his job, we would not suffering the energy crisis we have here in the US....

May 20, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  6. dunno yet

May 20, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  7. dg

J U D A S

May 20, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  8. Game Over

Hillary Clinton still leads among those who love cats. I don't know why her campaign is not making more of this...leave the fuzzy math out of it and focus on the portion of the electorate that loves cats. In my opinion that is a much better argument than the one currently being made by those fools Terry McAuliffe and the "new Wolfie" Wolfson. The new wolfie should be jumping on this... I mean, even their backwoods idiots aren't falling for their garbage math argument since, well, its bogus.

May 20, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  9. doug

now here's someone who might think he is someone. but it just goes to show you how Obama is going to run the White house. this guy richardson talk's to terrorist like hugo chavaz. and doesn't even support who won his state. he is nothing and nobody, just trying to suck up so he can get back into the white house. you all know who hugo chavaz is, he is the same guy who hates america and owns citgo gas company. and is linked to suppling arms to Iran to kill our troops in iraq. and yet nobody questions why billy boy is talking to him. i can see we learned nothing from 9/11. we are back in the same frame of mind that we were in before 9/11. and what did that kind of thinking get us.

May 20, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  10. Nia - AZ by way of MN

Any idiot who is willing to cut off thier nose inspite of thier face by voting for McCain even though the claim to be a dem is lame. On what planet does that make any since?! You all are to selfish and self obsorbed to look at the big picture. I can't imagine wanted to spend another four years of our nation going down the tubes with McSame...are you kidding me?!! Probably a republican anyway!

May 20, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  11. Hillary 08

Richardsons a loser. No Se Puede`

May 20, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  12. always the puppet

The democrats are running scared.

Their shoe in is anything but...

What else can they do to ensure he'll win? They have cheated, fixed the election, thrown out votes for HRC, they have accepted caucus wins as equal to primary wins, they have ordered all the superdelegates to his side.

But... THE PEOPLE don't want him. Not even the lifelong democrats can vote for this demagogue.

May 20, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  13. Raghu

PREDICTION FROM CLINTON NES NETWORK~!!!::

THE 10 E.V of W.V and Kentucky will hand McCain the white House

May 20, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  14. Ron

I'm tired seeing Hillary driving hate into the election, and dividing the Democratic party. The chicken superdelegate won't step in and help Hillary out of the election and back to New York.

Go Obama / Edwards 08