May 20th, 2008

Schneider: Should Clinton be V.P.? Depends who you ask

(CNN) - If Barack Obama wins the Democratic nomination, should he pick Hillary Clinton as his running mate?

Roughly 54 percent of Democratic voters in Kentucky said yes - but supporters of both candidates are sharply divided on whether the New York senator should get the No. 2 spot.

Among Clinton voters in Kentucky, 64 percent said she should be the vice presidential candidate, while 33 percent said she should not.

But Obama supporters are much more against the idea of Clinton claiming the vice presidential slot on the ticket with Obama. Close to 60 percent of them say the Illinois senator should not pick Clinton as his running mate, while only 38 percent think he should.

It's yet another issue where Clinton and Obama supporters are sharply divided.

1. Joe Reg

She has made her case.

She deserve the V.P. slot.

Go Obama Go!!!

May 20, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  2. DJ KY

He cant win Without her

May 20, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  3. Nancy

I'm a Republican but if Hillary runs for president I'd vote for her. I admire her ambition and I think she'd be a strong leader.

May 20, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  4. CL

IF YOU CAN'T ACCEPT HILLARY, ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT FOR OBAMA WILL GO DOWN THE TOILET. USE YOUR HEAD.

May 20, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  5. Duop Wuol, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Two conflicting ideas may somehow collide and could seriously hurt the foundation.

May 20, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  6. Amy

Obama and Clinton would make a nice ticket but i prefer an Obama Edwards ticket. I was an Edwards supporter but moved over to the Obama side once he dropped. Clinton is a great candidate but there is no way she can beat Mccain. Obama supporters and Clinton supporters have to remember that we are ONE party. Im tired of hearing they wont vote for the other candidate if they are nominated. If Obama doesnt clinch the nomination then i will most def vote for Clinton. Remember people we need a democrat in the White House.

May 20, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  7. alice2Fresno,CA

In a word "NO" I am SICK of Hillary. I do not want to see or hear from her after this election. She represents old Washington, business as usual, Barack wants to change Washington, Change We Can Believe In. I hope Barack does not HAVE to offer it to her, just because she Lost! Just about anyone else would be better.

May 20, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  8. Priscilla for Obama

May 20, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  9. Henry

Whiny Hillary supporters: Go vote for McCain and lose your right to choose to have an abortion.

May 20, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  10. Ben

Richardson, Rendell, Edwards, Gore, and Sebelius are all better choices.

May 20, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  11. Victory for Hillary

I'd rather see Hillary run with McCain than Obama and his cult followers!!!

May 20, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  12. Reagan All OVer Again

He won't get it without her...

May 20, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  13. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

Sharon...

Obamites DO know how to compromise... (diplomacy... talking to one's enemies... right?)...

but it 'IS' tough to talk to them while they are throwing kitchen sinks at you....

food for thought....

May 20, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  14. Nancy

In other words. Obama needs more experience and would be a nice VP. Hillary is a born leader! She should be in charge.

May 20, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  15. Scarlett in VEGAS

OBAMAclinton08? ..

May 20, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  16. Morgan

Why is no one talking about Clinton disenfranchising voters with her "I'm ahead in the popular vote" arguement? She is discounting caucus states and all of those voters!!!! I'm glad to count Florida and Michigan, but this argument of hers is hypocritical!

May 20, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  17. F C Sanders Sr, La

I believe suggestions are alright but I think ultimately I agree with Linned the nominee should be allowed to select his or her own VP.

May 20, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  18. Kathy

Sometimes you need "old Washington" to beat them at their own game. If people want the dems to win, they need a unified, unbeatable ticket. I'm no fan of Obama's – he talks a good game but what has he done? Hillary hasn't gotten a fair shake and I think her comments about the press ignoring sexism are valid. Because she's a strong, outspoken woman she's untrustworthy? I think they're both intelligent people and combined, we'll see a Democrat in the White House. Get over yourselves and thing BIG PICTURE.

May 20, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  19. Ed, Fl

No way. The Clintons carry too much baggage.
    The country is not ready for a black and a female all together. That would be a looser ticket. And second of all, the Clintons would undermine Obama's message. Obama needs a consevative democrat and experienced V.P who can deliver some key states that Obama would not otherwise win.

May 20, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  20. hamstring

NO Hillary Clinton should absolutly NOT be the VP

ONLY PResident will do

Hang on Hillary

Obama will be exposed soon!!

May 20, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  21. holy

Never ever !

May 20, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  22. sacto joe

As Senator Obama himself said, Senator Clinton's on the short list. I'm going to defer judgement until the dust settles.

Frankly, I'm a bit worried about her. She's not looking too well, compared to when she started out.

I think it was a HUGE mistake for her to go "negative" against Senator Obama, not least for her as a person. Whoever advised her to go that route has a lot to answer for.

May 20, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |