May 21st, 2008

Analysis: Clinton scores a win, Obama nears finish line

Sen. Barack Obama has picked up a majority of the pledged delegates, according to CNN calculations.

NEW YORK (CNN) - Hillary Clinton won a landslide victory in Kentucky Tuesday, but momentum - and a growing sense of inevitability - is now firmly on Barack Obama's side.

He took Oregon last night, but it was his symbolic victory with pledged delegates that was the storyline.

The one-time long shot for the Democratic nomination has a majority of pledged delegates to the Democratic Convention and is now about 70 delegates shy of the finish line.

1. Anne Abbott

I just heard Gary Hart's comments this morning. He said that Democratics will vote for Obama vs McCain. I wonder why Obama fans might jump ship and vote for McCain instead.

On the other hand, if Clinton is not the nominee, I will vote for McCain. The reason for this is, "experience vs experience." When given the choice of Obama with his "lack of experience" and McCain with his many years of experience, the choice is clear.

That's my take on this. Those important people giving their opinions on CNN who say that Democratics will vote appropriately for their given Democratic nominee, are so wrong.

If Obama gets in, McCain will win.

Anne

May 21, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  2. Dallas, TX

What else is new, she's in a corner and taking a swing at whatever she can to stay in the game...Hill go home, get out now and stop destroying the party...this ruthless attitude is not serving any American, but your own interests!

OBAMA '08!!

May 21, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  3. Darryl

Beware of "THe Clintons", they are not to be trusted.....

Beware the Republican are out playing us in chess.

Beware Hillary Clinton will not pay off her debts...

Beware of the Clintion lies and end game.

May 21, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  4. Brandon

Since when did Kentucky become a swing state for Democrats? It is on nobody's metric for a democratic win in November. W Virginia, maybe, but Kentucky no way. I live in Cincinnati and work in Kentucky and am actually surprised it was that close... Almost every Kentuckian I know would resist voting for a black man, or a woman for that matter, in the General election. If McCain won only one state, I would guess it was Kentucky.

May 21, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  5. Concerned Voter

This is great news for the Democratic party as a whole! I am an independent voter that leans towards the Democratic party for their values and policies. But I must tell you all (Obama and Hillary supporters) that this fighting has started to put me off. I would love to see EITHER of them, because when you look at the facts... they are both going for the same thing. I want this country put back on a good course and I think a Dem in power is the first step. Reps have had there turn and it hasn’t been the best... to say the least. All this Hillary or McCain, or Obama or McCain non-sense it just dumb!!! If you are that immature that you would do something like that and vote for the completely DIFFERENT values of what you are hoping for because... you should just stay home. It is that kind of thinking that will be your down fall and just aid to the down fall of our great nation. Wake up people; believe in the message... not the messenger!

May 21, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  6. Doreen

Another lie against Hillary by the media. It's Obama and his cronies that have attacked Hillary and her family unfairly, right out of the Republican playbook. Quit making up your lies about Hillary you pro-Obama jerks.

May 21, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  7. HP Boston

This has been the very worst candidate presented by the DNC, Obama.
    He has been shoved down our throats from the get go..we are sick of it and him. We will never, ever vote for him, NEVER!
    The MSM has been BRUTAL to Senator Clinton and Obama supporters are the most hate filled cruel lot of FOLKS ever . Worse than Rove republicans!
    Hillary Clinton makes Obama look like the untrained puppy that he is.

Barack Hussein Obama the worst thing that ever happened to America.
    Even his mentor WRIGHT the 20 year pastor to BO could no longer care about the lying politician Obama.

May 21, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  8. No Way

Hill, pack it in and try to pay what you owe. It was over a long time ago. When will you figure out what we already have?

May 21, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  9. Davis

What happens if the African American vote stays home? I hear all the debate about the middle age white vote. It seems that once again, the Democratic Party takes the African American vote for granted. Since race has been such a large factor, will African Americans vote for Hiliary? I would love to hear that debate. I truly hope that we can get beyond race, age , and gender and consider a vote just a vote.

May 21, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  10. Fred

Great, maybe now Hillary will drop out so the news media can stop it with their phony punditry. She lost this thing way back in February and the media is just now catching up to that fact.

Sorry Hillary, you ran a terrible campaign. You deserved to lose. The Clinton 'legacy' is all but dead now.

May 21, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  11. Unknown

THAT'S WHAT AM TALKING ABOUT!!

OBAMA 08

May 21, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  12. NorthAmerica

Listen up, Hilary, it's time to release the Democratic party. The longer you hold the hostage, the hard you will crash and burn.

May 21, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  13. Pat

As a life long dem I will back McCain in the fall and push people I know to do the same. The media pushs Obama with no experience to the people. Many of us dems want experience so bad to run this country that we will go with McCain if Obama is the one who wins over Hillary. Its that simple.

May 21, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  14. Kathy

Way to go! What a great day! What a great speech! He really laid out an effective argument and was VERY gracious to Senator Clinton.
    OBAMA 08

May 21, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  15. tidho

He's no closer now than he was over the weekend. He's had the numbers wrapped up sinse Texas. It all comes down to whether the party will do something shady to take it away from him at this point.

Its really too bad he couldn't lock it in earlier because Hillary is really damaging the Democrats in November right now.
    1) Consistent implications that he's not electable.
    2) Running up debt that his campaign will eventually have to pay for rather than spending it against McCain.
    3) Pushing racial division.

...I only hope that if Obama does lose in November people remember Hillary's role for the rest of her life.

May 21, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  16. GO BARRACK

FINALLY WE CAN WRAP THIS UP
    BUT WATCH I HEAR SHE WANTS ALL THE AMERICAN IDOL VOTES IN FLA AND MICHIGAN TO COUNT TOWARDS HER
    BUT I HOPE THEY GIVE YOU THE 235.000 VOTES IN MICHIGAN THAT PEOPLE CAME OUT AND VOTED FOR UN COMMITTED
    THAT MEANS NOT HER
    GO OBAMA

May 21, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  17. Michigan Voter

Way to go Barack, Yes We Can!

May 21, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  18. Ed

This is a hollow "milestone" without Michigan and Florida counted.

May 21, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  19. Canadian observer

Congratulations to Senator Obama !

May 21, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  20. Modern Monkey!!!!

Oh boy we are getting close!!!!! June 4th and this should all be over and on to the big fight. I hope all HRC supporter can over come their feeling and vote for a new direction. Most Americans want America on a different course and Obama will be at the helm. I am ready. Are you?

May 21, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  21. Raymond Duke

That Obama was going to be annointed the democrat nomination was obvious to anyone that is half way intelligent. The democrat primaries were designed so that the elders and proffesional politicians really have the ultimate say so who gets the nod. Unless one canidate completely blows the other ones away the top dogs can justify who they want. I am an independent and have voted democrat as much as republican but after watching this obvious fraud I will vote republican for the rest of my life. At least there I get some say in who will be the nominee.

May 21, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  22. Terry M

Enough already. Billary has done enough damage to the party. She has devided the country between racist-ignorant America and the new tolerant-bright America. Change is only months away and I advice those who are blinded by hate and racism to seek help and open up to a new page despite their venom.

08ama, change we can believe in

May 21, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  23. Eric

If Barack is supposed to be so highly favored, why is Hillary still winning contest by landslides. Obama will never become President.

May 21, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  24. dave

CNN needs to pay closer attention to the world that is not nearly so polarized as they present. I know that FOX news gets ratings, but that doesn't mean you have to play to the lowest denominator.

And, the slaves to CNN are the partison commentators, both professional and those who I tend to read commenting on these articles. Stop feeding the monsters of contentiousness.

I find it amazing that with 90 percent common ground, we can still talk about about the 10% of disagreement 90% of the time. Let's get back in proportioin. You can help and so can CNN.

May 21, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  25. A Real Democrat

Well the writing is on the wall Clinton supporters, its probably not going to happen but let's stop with the in fighting. I am really tired of Clinton supporters saying he took this election away. How can you have a lead in states, delegates, vote and superdelegates... but be stealing it? Let's be honest about certain things; she had the advantage and lost. She in the beginning had the name recognition, the money, and the support. But as she continued to run it dwindled away and she lost it. She had the African American vote, but due to her and Bill's comments and the comments of their surrogates, it made a lot of people view the Clinton's negatively when it comes to race (Also, when they did exit polling in WV and KY people admitted that race was a factor in their decision. I'm not saying all Clinton supporters are racist, but you have to admit some people do think that way). And, instead of really apologizing for it, they just said it wasn't true and it was misrepresented. Also, Clinton started the race with high negatives, so its not like the media turned on her, people already didn't like her to begin with and she never did much about that until she was losing. Thirdly, about this "experience" what are we talking about? Being First Lady does not a President make. She is running on the "remember the good ole days when my husband was President?" Just because Bill was a good leader, doesn't automatically make her one either. Being in the Senate a long time makes a good politician, but that has nothing to do with integrity, commiment, honesty, and judgement. If you think Obama is just empty messages and rhetoric, then you have been watching too much CNN and MSNBC sound bites to realize, if you go and do the research he's had his policies online. He does Town Hall meetings and answer questions. He has been in the debates answering questions. So, you just want to that MORE than half of the Democrats are infactuated and mesmerzed by some wayward "snake-oil salesman"? No, maybe more than half of us are tired of the way things work and want a new direction and someone else who hasn't been in Washington long to give a new and fresh prespective. I'm not saying he's not a politician, but if nothing else, he's at least elevated the way it works in Washington.

Now if you, as a Clinton supporter, base your judgement of Obama on the hundreds of his supporters on blogs, you really need to get out more. The words and deeds of Clinton are the only things I judge her on, not those supporters on the blogs, they are only snap shots. Because then I would think she was this bitter, unintelligent, uninformed, and maybe sometimes racists, but I don't. I think she is a smart woman, just not the woman for this job, this time. Democrats in general need to think big pictures, not small egos.

May 21, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |