May 21st, 2008

Analysis: Clinton scores a win, Obama nears finish line

Sen. Barack Obama has picked up a majority of the pledged delegates, according to CNN calculations.

NEW YORK (CNN) - Hillary Clinton won a landslide victory in Kentucky Tuesday, but momentum - and a growing sense of inevitability - is now firmly on Barack Obama's side.

He took Oregon last night, but it was his symbolic victory with pledged delegates that was the storyline.

The one-time long shot for the Democratic nomination has a majority of pledged delegates to the Democratic Convention and is now about 70 delegates shy of the finish line.

1. raymond

why does barack obama repeatedly call himself an african american when half his blood is white? is he ashamed of the white blood flowing through his body?i would call his rejection of his white blood racism yet the news media hasn't questioned him or the democratic party about this rejection..i think both obama and the democratic party are eager to be in the white house and want the black vote..if this man rejects his white heritage what will he do if elected ??

May 21, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  2. Hillary 2012

DISENFRANCHISED FLORIDA VOTERS: BARACK OBAMA IS IN FLORIDA TODAY.

MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET OUT AND TELL HIM THAT YOU DON'T APPRECIATE HIM BLOCKING RE-VOTES IN YOUR STATE.

GET OUT THERE AND PICKET!!!!

HILLARY!

May 21, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  3. Latin Momma for Obama

Thank you voters everywhere, we have our nominee and soon we will have our president..... I just dont know why is ccn so in love with billary..she is old history no matter what she says, and no matter what she uses now.... whether is the gender or race card, or fear tactics.. you name it, next thing she will say is that the votes given to her ex husband should count.. then she can declare victory,

i mean these are the clintons dont forget their hunger for power is greater than anything.. soon she will get chelsea going, she is paving the road for her, they believe this country ought to be ruled by the two families, either bush or clinton..

no more dynasty, please,

if you are still voting for her, that tells alot, that tells you are ok with the ongoing lies, and so is ok for all of us to use lies anytime, anywhere and specially if you are running for the highest post in the US ..........
    very sad very sad

she is a pathological liar.. there is no question about that and to forget that and or ignore it,, it is horrible, as we are talkign about our children's future, and our own.......

May 21, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  4. Proud1of 26% in WV

Unless the superdelegates can push him over the finish line before May 31 Clinton is expecting the DNC to extend the finish line.She is also expecting the DNC to either count the votes in the bogus primaries of Flordia and Michigan as they were cast or having new elections.Some of her big city bosses are willing to pay for the elections.They are hinting that they will take it to the convention if necessary.What a team player.

May 21, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  5. Chipster

Obama continues to win the most liberal states or states with large black populations. This does not bode well for Democrats in the Fall if he is the candidate. Moderate Republicans will vote for McCain, not someone so liberal, and conservative Democrats will either write in their candidate or stay home. He is far too liberal. I simply cannot believe Democrats are once again chosing to throw away an opportunity for victory.

May 21, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  6. Randy M

C'mon Super D's. 70-75 of you need to make the call NOW and end this nonsense. She can't win the nomination and will not win the general so get her out. Obama will do very well and McCain will fade to retirement. Only a country of morons would vote for a Republican this year.

PS- I'm a Republican who'll vote for Obama!!!

May 21, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  7. Jeff

Everyone knew that neither candidate would have enough pledged delegates to get the nomination so why is it any surprise that Hillary is still staying in? The superdelegates have votes to cast that are equally legitimate and have always been able to display independent judgement.

May 21, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  8. Susie

Obama has also lied outright. I could forgive that, after all, he is a politician. However, his attacks are insidious and "inspire" hatred and animosity. He is arrogant and inexperienced (as Bush was in 2000). Read the comments on this site.

It is okay to say "iron my shirt" but "shine my shoes" is intolerable. When someone calls Clinton a bi-, everyone (including McCain) in the audience laughs. When Obama's full name is used, McCain apoligizes though he wasn't in the audience. Yet, the writers (and I use the term loosley) on this site and others believe the media is biased toward Clinton and that sexism and racism has been treated the same.

Obama lost Kentucky because he walks around with an insult ready to sling at the people of small-town America. I have a post-graduate degree; I have never owned a gun; I believe in God but I am sure no one who knows me would say that I cling to my religion; I try to think carefully when I interact with others to ensure that I do not judge them by the wart on their nose instead of their actions. Yet, I am ofended by Obama's comments and his arrogance.

When he made his hand movements and brushed his shoulders, I knew I would never vote for him, no matter what. I am not sure I can vote for McCain but I know I cannot vote for Obama.

May 21, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  9. Skip

I would like to know where to send hillary a calulator.
    PLEASE do the math and leave like a lady.

May 21, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  10. Obamacanandwill

ATTENTION: SUPER DELEGATES WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR NOW? PLEASE COME OUT NOW AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT TO SEN. OBAMA, HE/WE NEEDEE YOU (Super Delegates) RIGHT NOW!

There are plenty of us here in Florida awaiting for Obama to be annonced as the nominee to financally support him, to fight for him and do what we have to do in order to beat McCain in November. If HIllary gets the nomination I don't think we will or can be that suppotative for her, atleast I won't. I will not vote for HIllary or McCain and yes there are alot more feel this way, that is will be unfair and unjust if she gets the nomination when we all can see that Obama has the lead in everything. So please Madam/Sir Super Delegates it is now the time to show your support for Sen. Obama.

Thank you for your kind and prompt considrations, and God bless all of you. Obama 08

May 21, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  11. Debbie,NJ

I just want to remind everybody how the Dem. Primary process goes. And it has been this ways for many, many years. The people in each state vote. Each state has a number of delegates that are seated. At the end of the process or until there's only one nominee left (most people drop out due to costs), the delegate count is what determines who the candidate is. Now this popular vote method that Hillary is trying to use is a general election count. SHe knew these rules when she went in. Her own husband went by these rules. She knows the process very well. You don't change rules in the middle of an election. This chaos would happen in every election if she is allowed to do it. Just like every state will break the rules if FL and MI are fully counted. Personally I'll be glad when the DNC gets sick of tiptoeing around her, respecting her, giving her space. I'll be glad when these 2 weeks are over and all of the primaries done so that Obama will be declared the winner, with the delegates giving him the points he needs to reach 2026, and we can get on with the general. Hillary has taken women to the next step of having a female President , along with the other female Presidential nominees. But she hasn't by the rules won this one. I salute all of the female nominees who have paved the way.
    Whitney H. Slocomb, 1960
    Margaret Chase Smith, 1964
    Shirley Chisholm , 1972
    Patsy Takamoto Mink , 1972
    Bella Savitzky Abzug , 1972
    Ellen McCormack , 1976
    Elizabeth Dole,2000
    Carol Moseley Braun,2004

May 21, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  12. Dr Cho Wanki David from Cameroon, Africa

America's world model role is envied by lots of us from the other side of the continent. Hillary should accept Obama's supremacy and watch him defeat Mccean who is already pannicking from his naive obsession with the former's prospective foreign policies

May 21, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  13. SHARON PLFD NJ

All I can said is WOW!!!!!!!! GO OBAMA!!!!!!

May 21, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  14. DJ in TX

What people aren't saying much is that John Kerry also did not do well in Kentucky. It has been leaning Republican for quite some time.

May 21, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  15. Billion

OBAMA – change is coming, for the better.
    yes we can

OBama08

May 21, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  16. Bill

I wonder if Clinton privately feels bad about some of the people in West Viriginia and Kentucky voting for her because she is white?
    I'm a 63 year old white male, and I find it hard to believe that most of those votes were based legitmately on her experience and skill.
    The media seems like they are scared to recognize the so-called, "Obama problem" for what it really is. However, personally I don't think it's Obama's problem. It's the peoples' problem who can't see past someone's race. Yes, I think our race relations have improved a little, but these results show their is still more work today. 26% of the voters in Kentucky based their vote on race.

I'm not saying your a racist if you don't vote for Obama. But any rational and open-minded person can look at these exit poll numbers and see that racism is well and alive.

May 21, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  17. Independent

It amazes me how CNN only uses half of the story in their headlines. While Clinton certainly did win big in kentucky, Obama also beat her in oregon quite handily. I thought the media was suppossed to be impartial? Is this because you are the Clinton news Network, or because the media would love to see this campaing go on and on to make more money?

May 21, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  18. Michael straight talk

All democrats should be honest and recognize the important milestone that Sen. Obama and the team reached! Time has matured, after 15 months of very intensive and exciting race, which inspired and moblized more voters than ever, to rally around the nominee that has fair and square attained the majority of delegates. We should not pretend that it did not happen, or try to bend the rules every candidate agreed upon before starting this race. It is counter productive to drag this further than necessary, because in this primaries election life cycle, if this race is over stretched beyon this peak we will risk negative consequences! Hopefully Superdelegates and every democrat will recognize that there are natural cycles that every wise or experiences person must recognize and do the right, otherwise all the wonderful things that were gained would lost! This has nothing to do with gender or race. It is best to learn from the past before it is too late!

May 21, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  19. SHIRLEY-OHIO

He is rounding 1st and heading home. Great Job Senator Obama how awesome would it be if everybodies dreams came true. Thanks to you we all know it can happen.

May 21, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  20. Lisa

Way to go OBAMA!!!!!!

May 21, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  21. OBAMA 4 President

I beg you superdelegates, make your decision now.

The superdelegates could cause the democrats to lose this election come November, please everyone remeber this!

They keep moving the goal post. For defeating Hillary like this, Obama deserves a Medal of Honor! What others couldn't do, he went beyond the call of duty and broke the Clintons' iron grip on the democratic party. YOU MUST REWARD BARACK NOW!

May 21, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  22. Montana is Obama Country

The LA Times is reporting that Hillary Clinton is nearly $31 million in debt. The news comes off a release from her campaign Tuesday night that she has raised $22 million:

No wonder Sen. Hillary Clinton was so late filing her required campaign financial reports Tuesday night. Her political team didn't want the shocking news in it to overshadow her lopsided thumping of Sen. Barack Obama in Kentucky.

Now comes the morning after, pay-up time. Clinton's campaign debt has now soared to nearly $31 million, according to numbers crunched early this morning by The Times' campaign finance guru, Dan Morain.

May 21, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  23. fred

Headlines should read:

HILLARY SCORES HUGE WIN!!! OBAMA LOSES GROUND!!

COUNT FL AND MI!!

May 21, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  24. Judy

If Democrate want s to win the November election, in my opinion, Hillary has a better chance. The reason is simple. All Obama's supporters– media people, students, more educated people already showed up in the Primary, but not Hillary's supporters - especially blue collars, seniors, poors. These groups of people will show up in the general election to vote for Hillary or McCain. Four years ago, Democrate also had a very good chance to win the white house, but lost. I hope this will not happen again.

May 21, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  25. Alice

Hillary uses the same kind of Rovian tactics that gave us 8 years of George Bush. Wise up, people!

Those tactics may work in the short run – i.e., to win elections – but then you are stuck with a powermonger who is only interested in his/her own edification.

Please, America, rise above this petty fearmongering style of campaigning. We are going to get the government we deserve.

May 21, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |