May 21st, 2008

Analysis: Clinton scores a win, Obama nears finish line

Sen. Barack Obama has picked up a majority of the pledged delegates, according to CNN calculations.

NEW YORK (CNN) - Hillary Clinton won a landslide victory in Kentucky Tuesday, but momentum - and a growing sense of inevitability - is now firmly on Barack Obama's side.

He took Oregon last night, but it was his symbolic victory with pledged delegates that was the storyline.

The one-time long shot for the Democratic nomination has a majority of pledged delegates to the Democratic Convention and is now about 70 delegates shy of the finish line.

1. Former Obama supporter

His negative campaigning has really turned me off. At this point, I won't buy what this snakeoil salesmen is selling. The message of hope and change was a good one, but he lacked specifics and promised a clean campaign and couldn't deliver. He said he was above dirty politics while at the same time allowing his surrogates to trash his opponent without the guts to do it himself in a debate. In good conscience I won't vote for McCain but I don't want to be responsible for rewarding the media's champion with the presidency. I'm encouraging all my friends to vote "present" come November.

Marc in Virginia

May 21, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  2. DPZ

I am ready for June 3rd so Hilllary can sleep permanently this election
    she has not been competition she has been a thorn in Obama's side
    since February and there is no way for her to come back and win this unless the DNC steals this election from Obama and at that point I will not vote for Hillary or McCain. Obama has wiped her out fair and square and she continues to argue sexism and unfair treatment by the
    media she was not complaining when she was winning.This is just
    another step closer to shoving the win in her face for starting rally's over sexism that did not take place at all in this election,she beat many men during this race and when she loses she blames it on sexism and pits the women against Obama. She is trying to FORCE the DNC to MAKE her the nominee even though she has lost.I just lose more and more respect for her everyday.

May 21, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  3. macbeth

I can't wait to see Hilary Clinton get blown out the water. I'm gonna get me a front row seat and some popcorn . I might even shed a tear when her political obituaries start rolling out trying to explain how she went from a dead cert to a dead donkey.

For all you Clinton supporters who won't vote for Obama after he wins the nomination then all I can say is goodbye. Shut the door on your way out. It's better that way because we can then easily lump you with your republican buddies and get you fifth columnists out of OUR party. You will be replaced four fold by repented republicans, independents and the youth that will swell our ranks all the way to the Nov elections.

You've backed a loser (Clinton) for the dem nomination and now want to backer a loser for the presidential elections (McCain). Anyone else spot a pattern with these people? Whoever they vote for loses, predictable enough to bet on..

Come Nov. when we win we will do a victory dance on the bones of Clinton and McCain, for the USA, as good finally overcomes evil.

Hoorah!!!

May 21, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  4. Stella Oliveros

It really would not cost us anything to let Hillary be President and if it doesn’t work out then give it to Obama but not the other way around?

Hillary Clinton...What a surprising woman, my respect goes out to her and her campaign. When many in the south are saying they would never vote for an African American it raises eyebrows of discontent. One commentator said “it's sad that we are not ready for an African American leader but hopefully this will soon change when Obama becomes one of our country’s elite personalities”. NO one has mentioned at any given point anything about Hillary’s battle as a woman, especially after last night when everyone was asking themselves what is Hillary still doing in the race?

So I will say it myself…. It’s sad that we are not ready for a woman President, because she is already a leader and we can’t see it. It is sad that we chose a promise for change over real action. Although Hillary never mentioned change in that way, she has been working towards change all her life, without making a spectacle of it.

She is staying in this race for every woman out there that has ever been forced out of a race… at work, at home, in private, in the world. To send a message everywhere that is time for a change…It’s time to respect a woman for what she is worth, capable of doing and willing to work for. This situation is reminiscent of the Jamaican slide team in the Olympics…their first time there, really fish out of water but they raced with their heart, pride and soul. They fell out of the race but they picked up their broken slide and walked all the way to the finish line. It meant something to their country, it meant something to every single person that was there that day, it meant something when the movie was made about it, and it still means something today. They got their medal, the medal of respect.

To me Hillary is President of the United States of America ever since day one when she decided to take on healthcare and everyone pushed her to the First Lady’s corner. They told her to arrange furniture and decorate the White House. We all knew right there and then that she was different not JUST a First Lady. I knew Hillary was President of the United States when she decided to stand by her husband after public humiliation, that’s when she earned respect even overseas. I knew she was President when I saw what an amazing daughter she raised. When I saw this country with a healthy economy and people were happy for the first time since I’ve been born and I knew she had something to do with it.

I want to thank Hillary Clinton for all the sacrifices she done throughout her life for this country, for never giving up on us and for her undeniable courage. I’ve been discriminated in this system just like she has, as a Floridian I’ve been denied my right to vote for a candidate. Every person in Florida and Michigan has been denied that right. We are Not being allowed to exercise our power as citizens of the United States of America and that’s against our constitutional rights, this should be taken to the courts. I feel completely violated, and as a woman even more. I really urge them to count our votes or be allowed to vote again. I’ll vote for Hillary in this election and any other always…

We are with You Hillary!

May 21, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  5. annette

Has anyone even noticed, that Clinton is not paying her bills and owes money everywhere! She is "ready on day one" to do what? pay her bills ! set up a spreadsheet for the USA! (ha, good one) how can anyone take her serious! yes, she gets the hillbilly voters cuz they do not know anything better (sad she is making fools of the less educated)
    Hello out there, she is a fraud, a lier and a cheat

May 21, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  6. jschlosser

you go hillary,we had good times when your husband was in office. and i know that you would,make a great president,like your husband.i"m proud that you are standing up for the people. and know matter what in my heart, you have and always will fight us people, unlike the thing that is in the white house now,or if mcCain gets in. I just hope a rep does not get in. or only the rich people will have.bus is making sure of that. so sen. cliniton press on for us little people

May 21, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  7. Susan

I think it is obvious.... Obama didn't spend much time in states like Kentucky and West Virginia, because he doesn't care about those people. They aren't his type of elitist people who look down their noses at hard working people who happen to be the backbone of this country. Obama supporters are so mean spirited. Their comments about uneducated voters voting for Clinton is ignorant. Having an education doesn't mean you are intelligent Hillary connecteed to those people because they sense she is genuinely concerned about their problems..... whereas Obama spends his time in Oregon with his "type" The reason a huge majority of Hillary voters will NEVER vote for Obama is because of his supporters rudeness and ignorance. We will NEVER vote for him.. and face it... without us... he can't win. He loses and that is the power of the Hillary supporters. He can't win the general with only his portion (50% of the democratic voters). They need us more than we need them. You better be nice and start eating some crow along with that Kool-Aid.

May 21, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  8. Democrats RULES

For- GOP RULES– You are wrong to call us Donkeys. But I will agree with you if we as Democrats do not stick together and vote as a party and vote for Mccain because of hate, then we are dumb.

May 21, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  9. Tex

After Obama's nomination, and in the event, Hillary and any of her supporters either not vote or vote for McBush allowing McBush to win and continue the Bush war, the rest of us Democrats and America will remember their selfish, childish immaturity as McBush continues the war. With every American soldier who dies or is wounded because the Clinton supporters cried and couldn't have their way, we will remember what you caused and history will blame Hillary. What a disgraceful attitude and behavior. Shame on all of you!

May 21, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  10. Deb

Congratulations Hillary for another great win!

Thank you for not giving up-we won't either!

It would seem that a Left Wing Nut Job in Training Pants receives votes from a small cult of followers that won't get him elected, even with every Liberal (including the Media) pulling for him along with spending 4 times the amount of money!

If the Democratic Party wants to win the General Election they had better have Hillary at the top of the ticket!

I think conservatives form all parties would vote for a Clinton/Obama ticket.

Conservatives will not vote for an Obama/Clinton ticket.

The prove is in the results for all to see, if you are not blinded by hype.

May 21, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  11. Jack

It's the Electoral College, stupid!

not sure if Democrats are nominating their strongest candidate who can win 270 Electoral votes

May 21, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  12. Ed, Santa Fe NM

YAY

OBAMA-EDWARDS '08

NO HILLARY ON THE TICKET.....

May 21, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  13. Juliemn

I am waiting for Obamas mustache, it should appear soon, I had to turn the tv off last night,when he was speaking, when he starts that same change speech ,finger pointing in the air,he sounds just like ,his soon to be best friend ,cacameana jad of Iran,
    thanks cnn for dooming this country!!!

May 21, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  14. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

It won't be long now... 🙂

May 21, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  15. Randy - Denver

I can only say three things about last nights results.
    1) Duh we kinda knew the outcomes so no big surprises here, even the news organizations have little to say.
    2) I did some research this am and, using Ms. Clinton's OWN logic (i.e. she has won the most votes because she is counting MI and Fl) I argue her point, there was a selection done on line that gave Mr. Obama 325,000 more votes than Ms. clinton so based on this selection and the others Ms. Clinton is counting Mr. Obama has more votes. What the on-line selection is not sanctioned by the DNC? Well Neither is MI or FL!
    3) For those who say that KY "represents the U.S." I will simply point out this given a choice between Candidate "A" or Candidate "B" 5% of KY chose candidate "C"... yep real geniuses there all right.. sheesh

May 21, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  16. Democrats for Obama

Hey, just looked at the exit polls in Kentucky and learned that 63 percent of the educated voters in Kentucky voted for Clinton. This will mean 10 less votes for Obama in the fall.

May 21, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  17. disenfranchised

Obama or Clinton is not going to have the delegates needed to win nomination. Florida and Michigan still need their votes counted. And I beleive in the discussions they will find that sen obama cheated on his pledge not to campaign in florida.The television ads ran more than a week before voting took place. There were also signs at the voting places. Hilary kept her word and did not campaign. I think that will come out as they decide how to figure the delegates. I feel because she did play by the rules, asked for a redo of the process, and obama objected to revoting he should pay some consequence and forfeit his delegates in florida. He took his name off the ballot in michigan! It was on there and he removed it. I think because he knew Hilary was going to beat him bad in that state. However I know you wont post this, cause this is the truth, and the media has been extremly bias in their support for obama, good god they have been calling for hilary to get out since Iowa. Fox news is starting to sound fair and balanced cnn

May 21, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  18. Democrats RULES

YEAH MCCAIN!

Have you ever wondered why the symbol of the Democrats is a DONKEY- Because you all are that?

MCCAIN GOT THIS…

I have never seen so many dumb people.

LOL KEEP FIGHTING YOU ALL IS HELPING OUR PARTY. LOL

WE are not even worrying about a backfire. We already know Democrats are dumb, LAZY and filled with HATE. Therefore, I hope Obama win so we can keep the Whitehouse because you all are too DUMB to go vote…lol

MCCAIN 08 P.S. we will rule for another 4years and keep you ALL in your PLACE…lol

SORRY DONKEYS (JACK- – – ) YOU WILL NOT GET THIS ELECTION

May 21, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  19. SL, Reno

Yeah! I'm so happy to hear this! Mr. Obama will be a president with intellect, key people, and values I can respect and trust.

May 21, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  20. Zoe

How great it would have been if Hilliary had not play the sexism card.....
    but as women many of us think her shameful for her tactics and her lack of grace under fire. Someone should remind her and Bill something bigger than their egos is at stake here.....the next Presidency.
    Obama has this ...Watching to see if Hillary will run as an Independent
    out of anger or insist she be nominated for the VP spot, which everyone knows is something Obama would not choose.

May 21, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  21. Casey

So far I have enjoyed this race. Unfortunately with Florida and Michigan left out I feel that not all Dems had a say. I like Obama but though he gives a good speach designed to inspire that is where he stops. So far no issues have been fleshed out other than the idea that he does not like to get picked on in the media. I have to say that I remain a Clinton supporter until things change. I deffinately will not vote for Mcain but if Obama does not start giving anything worth thinking about he will not have my vote either.

May 21, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  22. Mirta

Are you including Michigan and Florida????? My vote did not count!

I find it puzzling that Hillary can take such a big win in KY and no one seems to be concerned that this is a sign that Obama cannot win the general election. I have met only 2 people who said they would vote for him. Everyone else I know is skeptical about his past and experience.

May 21, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  23. Carl Abernathy

Obama is already despised by at least half of the democrats, most of the republicans and independents. He cannot lead this country.

May 21, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  24. Tiffany

Regardless of the Obama / Hillary rivialry by their supporters...America has come a long way. I'm in my 30's and never thought I'd see a day that a man of African ancestry would become a viable candidate as the leader of the free world. I am proud of America, proud that for once in my lifetime, America has looked beyond color and beyond race to try to better the world as we know it. America wants change and I'm glad to see that WE don't care who helps us bring about change, we just know that change is necessary and in demand!
    Obama 08/12!

May 21, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  25. Illene hebert

As anybody seen the L.A. Times this morning that Hillary's campaing in debt 31 millions dollars, what's wrong with this picture? time to ask is she the one best to handle the U.S. economy? and how is she going to pay it back? wake up people and smell the coffee

May 21, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |