May 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton says Chelsea may go into politics

Bill Clinton says Chelsea may go into politics someday.
Bill Clinton says Chelsea may go into politics someday.

(CNN) - Is politics in Chelsea Clinton's future?

Bill Clinton says maybe.

In an interview with People Magazine, the former president said he thinks his daughter is a natural campaigner who may one day follow her parents into the family business.

"If you asked me [whether Chelsea would go into politics] before Iowa, I would have said, 'No way. She is too allergic to anything we do.' But she is really good at it," the former president said in the latest edition of the magazine

Clinton also said Chelsea was deeply upset by her mother's disappointing third-place finish in Iowa in January.

"It all changed after Iowa," he said. "She realized her mother lost Iowa 100 percent because of younger voters. She was upset, bawled, went to her employer and said, 'Look, you got to let me go or give me an indefinite leave of absence. I'm not letting my mother go down like this.' "

Read more from Bill Clinton's interview

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Chelsea Clinton
  1. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

Well, we'll see in time if she gets in.
    All I can say is be your own woman, and not beholden to anything your parents did (or didn't do).

May 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  2. james from brooklyn

like i didn't see this coming.........the clinton are very opportunistic....while chelsea was campaigning for her mom....she was also compaigning for herself.
    the clinton wants to compete with the bush and the KENNEDY's
    well chelsea it's gona be tough for you to win anything outside arkansa......because your mom than mess up the family name

NO SOUP for the clintons

May 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  3. anon

OH GOD NO!!!

If there is a God in Heaven, please spare us!!!! Please Lord I beg of thee!!!!!!!!

May 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  4. Ron, TX

She was upset and bawled because her mom got third place?

Like mother like daughter!

May 22, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  5. Observer

Oh please..SPARE US!!

reconsider!! We've had enough of the Clintons...
    and besides "She was upset, bawled".... Politics is not
    for you then "sweetie"

May 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  6. I knew it !

These people have an obssession with the white house !

This IS NOT your familly business, This is AMERICA !

go away, we dont wanna hear about you...enough already ! Jesus, imagine the disaster if she unherits her father's perverted tendencies, and her mother's lack of integrity and pathological lying !

Jesus...lord help us !

May 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  7. Philly Kid

ENOUGH!!
    IF it's war that the CLINTONS want, then we will give them something they've never seen before. To hell with the party is what they seem to be saying with their actions.
    FINE, we are also prepared to watch the party burn than to let them Hijack this election.

May 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  8. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Does this really suprise anyone????

She would do well....she would even better if her last name was not Clinton though (it is necessarily the biggest help)

May 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  9. Clinton Supporter

I'd vote for her in a heartbeat.

May 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  10. Ross, Brooklyn, NY

I hope she learns more from her dad than her mom. Her dad is a people person and a much more skilled politician.

May 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  11. Angelika

...How sickening. Chelsea bawled after her mother lost Iowa!? Geez, how would she react if SHE lost a race? Probably go home and cry herself to sleep.

May 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  12. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

Who cares!!! And, for the sake of the Democratic Party, I hope not! Especially if she is anything like her psychotic mother!

May 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  13. from CT

She seems like a nice person I just hope she didn't pick up her mother's smere tactics and kitchen sink, scortched earth strategy...

May 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  14. Bob

She needs to work on better answers than 'none of your business' if she wants a career in politics.

May 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  15. Independent

So?....Another attepmt to keep the Clinton Dynsasty afloat..this is not newsworthy. Once again the Clinton News Network at its finest.

May 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  16. Gregory H. Brooklyn New York

If she has Bill' charm and people skill she'll go far. Good for her, we need more young people involved. Thanks to Sen. Obama a lot more young people are standing up. You go Chelsea. Thank you Barack....

May 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  17. Larry Buchas

Bill,

You should be proud of Chelsea. In fact you should learn from her. She took the high road praising Hillary's record and even had to confront questions about you.

Yes, she is a natural candidate and will probably eclipse both you and Hillary. I wish her complete success in whatever endeavor she chooses.

May 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  18. Yankee Dog

Give me a break. I am sure she is a nice person, but please....... Why in the world is he saying this. All Clinton, all the time, never ending, ever.... Time to move on America. Enough of these people. Billary has done enough damage to the Democrat party.....

May 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  19. L. Snaples

Chelsea has alot to learn before she goes into politics. The most important is now to answer questions in a way that does not make everyone upset. The answer that that is none of your business just doesn't cut it with the public.

May 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  20. Sam

Oh please! Now that Hillary is out, he is introducing Chelsea? OMG

May 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  21. Terry in Fl

Chelsea would have a wonderful career in politics. She has grown up with two of the best advisors available and I would proudly vote for her in any situation. In the 90's I didn't support bill Clinton, that's something I regret to this day. They have done a lot for our country and I am ashamed of the way they are being treated by the DNC and the rabid Obama supporters who have absolutly no couth. I sincerely hope things turn around for the democrats in that the right candidate gets nominated, however that looks dim. Chelsea should take this lesson learned and carry it with her as she progresses through the rank and file of politicians. The Democratic party is crooked. It is not our friend and the future will probably lean more towards the middle. Please consider a new party such as the independent. It will strengthen as more and more people become tired of the old guard. Regardless, I wish Chelsea the best and know that she will someday make a great president!

May 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  22. ALL THE WAY TO DENVER

Take it to the convention Hillary. No more stolen elections in America.

In 2000, every democrat was outraged that Bush won without the popular vote.

Are we still a democracy? You Obama supporters are so nasty... You and the media have been trying to run Hillary out of this race from the get go.

I'm disgusted and ashamed of all of you.

Hey CNN where is the story on Obama's flip-flop on foreign policy. Actually, who really knows? Obama can you clarify...

One day Iran is a small threat, the next it is a big threat.

Oh, and meeting with terrorists? Isn't there a reason we don't me with terrorists?

Obama couldn't find his butt with a ten man hunting party.

Fed up Dem.

Vote Hillary or write her in.

May 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  23. Masood

Who is surprised? Not me!

May 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  24. sophia nyc

WHAT MORE PROOF DO YOU NEED THAN THIS THAT WE ARE CREATING A FAMILY DYNASTY?

May 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  25. DPZ

I hope she does a better job than her lying mother!!!!!!!!
    Also I hope she does not run against any off Obama's daughter's
    CAN YOU SAY REPEAT!!!!!!!!!

May 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |