May 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton says Chelsea may go into politics

Bill Clinton says Chelsea may go into politics someday.
Bill Clinton says Chelsea may go into politics someday.

(CNN) - Is politics in Chelsea Clinton's future?

Bill Clinton says maybe.

In an interview with People Magazine, the former president said he thinks his daughter is a natural campaigner who may one day follow her parents into the family business.

"If you asked me [whether Chelsea would go into politics] before Iowa, I would have said, 'No way. She is too allergic to anything we do.' But she is really good at it," the former president said in the latest edition of the magazine

Clinton also said Chelsea was deeply upset by her mother's disappointing third-place finish in Iowa in January.

"It all changed after Iowa," he said. "She realized her mother lost Iowa 100 percent because of younger voters. She was upset, bawled, went to her employer and said, 'Look, you got to let me go or give me an indefinite leave of absence. I'm not letting my mother go down like this.' "

Read more from Bill Clinton's interview

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Chelsea Clinton
  1. Kevin

Grooming another for the family crown...

May 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  2. pee-d-feet cause somthing stinks

Every chance I get she'll pay for her MOMA's sin's....

May 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  3. Bill

Yeah that's all we need. Another whiny Clinton who believes the Presidency is owed to her.

May 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  4. CES

Dear Bill, The legacy you left as a president has been destroyed during Hillary's campaign as result of your odd behavior. Please – no more Clintons on the campaign – please ride into the sunset, write some books and get on TV every now and then – but leave us alone!!

May 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  5. Charlotte

My advice to Chelsea, stay out of the nastist, dirtist game in the world..Obama has played the race card from the beginning and has managed to divide this country worse then I have ever seen. He has evoked MLK so many times it is unreal. He stole MLK's "the urgency of now." I have a dream was played in SC and Oprah was there talking about MLK and black people. He could not even give Best Wishes to Kennedy without mentioning Civil Rights. I have never heard so much about black people as I have this election. Bill was right about SC, anybody black could win that state. How many times have you heard Obama sound off about being a 46 year old black man being able to run for President? Michelles' "ain't no black people in Iowa." That was in the beginning so you tell me who played the race card.. Every speech he gives has racial undertones. The audacity of hope is all about race.

May 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  6. Sam

Contrary to what so many bashers on here say...I think the Clintons are way more intelligent, experienced and qualified to run this country than anyone else I have witnessed in my life time.

May 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  7. Dave

She should stay out of politics. The Clinton's are old news and they are big losers. Go McCain

May 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  8. John

It wouldn't surprise me if Chelsea Clinton would become a politician someday, following her family's legacy. Politics was obviously a success for both of her parents: Bill being a former President of the United States and Hillary being a Senator of New York and possible future President of the United States.

May 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  9. Kenneth M

THAT MUST BE WHY HIS PARENTS ARE TRAINING HER TO LIE, CHEAT, COMPLAIN, TRICK. OMITT, DIDACT, SLANDER, AND IMPOSE NOW. I AM SURE SHE WILL BE A FORCE TO REKON WITH.

May 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  10. Tim

I'm sorry. Nothing against Chelsea, but why is this on the Political Ticker. CNN, gas is at an all time high. Food, airline ticket, and other things are going sky. Is this all you have to talk about?

May 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  11. KK

I really like Chelsea and think she would be excellent in whatever she chose to do. I support her potential political career 100%.

May 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  12. Sarah B. MS

I thought that this country was a democracy, not a monarchy. The Clinton's need to go away.

May 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  13. Colie Brice

Cool.. She should some day. Hopefully she'll learn from her parents mistakes and just be herself.

May 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  14. Theresa

what a wonderfully supportive family.... very refreshing

May 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  15. Debra Austin, Texas

Who cares? Other than having another dysfunctional Clinton on the scene, why is this news?

May 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  16. conservative

Not another Clinton in politics. we have had enough of you. go away.

McCain 08

May 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  17. R.I.F.

She must be able to lie with a straight face too.

May 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  18. David, Hartford

It reminds me of how Damien ran for President in The Omen Part 3.

May 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  19. So Sweet

Chelsea Clinton is a wonderful girl and she takes after her mother. Her dad is a good guy too, so he made mistakes in his past, but he's a good man. I like this family and I think Chelsea will be a great public servant if she decided to get into politics. Hillary 08.

May 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  20. john

Chelsea Clinton has a problem. Hillary stated yesterday that she was taking this fight to the August convention, this will ensure a defeat for the Democrats come November and will forever damage the Clinton brand name.

If The supers do not jump before May 31st it will be tooooooooo late and the damage to the Democrats will be iredeemable.

Hillary is on the point of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in November general.

THe DNC really must make a move now do not leave this until August.

May 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  21. HC

Very very very bad idea!!

May 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  22. Ding, Washington, DC

First, Senator Obama needs to give Chelsea Clinton a big role in his camp. Join other wonderful team of women that run the Obama Camp. Chelsea has a brighter future a head; she can do whatever pleases her that includes running for anoffice.

May 22, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  23. Bryan

I think that she would be a great politician! just like her mother, but without the baggage! Go Chelsea..maybe 2020!

May 22, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  24. Tony S from NJ

Are they serious? This family is so power hungry and so desperate for acceptance AND the spotlight, it's pathetic. Just please go away, PLEASE!!!! Hillary LOST!!!! FACE IT!!!!!! They cannot grasp the idea that their time has come and gone. Sort of like when Bill's term was up, and he left the White House and went to some airport hangar for a goodbly party, and his first words were "I'm still here." PATHETIC!!!!!

JUST GO AWAY!!!! PLEASE CHELSEA, DO NOT RUN FOR OFFICE!!!!!

May 22, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  25. Amber

Awe...I love the Clintons!

May 22, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |