May 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton says Chelsea may go into politics

Bill Clinton says Chelsea may go into politics someday.
Bill Clinton says Chelsea may go into politics someday.

(CNN) - Is politics in Chelsea Clinton's future?

Bill Clinton says maybe.

In an interview with People Magazine, the former president said he thinks his daughter is a natural campaigner who may one day follow her parents into the family business.

"If you asked me [whether Chelsea would go into politics] before Iowa, I would have said, 'No way. She is too allergic to anything we do.' But she is really good at it," the former president said in the latest edition of the magazine

Clinton also said Chelsea was deeply upset by her mother's disappointing third-place finish in Iowa in January.

"It all changed after Iowa," he said. "She realized her mother lost Iowa 100 percent because of younger voters. She was upset, bawled, went to her employer and said, 'Look, you got to let me go or give me an indefinite leave of absence. I'm not letting my mother go down like this.' "

Read more from Bill Clinton's interview

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Chelsea Clinton
  1. WArt

Did Chelsea think just because she was young, it would make the young voters vote for Hilliary. Give the young people credit, they have a mind of their own. They can make their own decisions and doesn't need Chelsea telling them to vote for Hilliary.

Her mother did the damage to herself?

May 22, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  2. Max

Hey! I will campaign for Chelsea for sure!

May 22, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  3. taylor richmond virginia

I'm an Obama supporter but you have to give it up to her mom, even though she won't get the nod, she really has broken alot of barriers. I think its entirely possible for Chelsea to run and do very well, as well as many other women. The day will come soon when this country elects a women president.

May 22, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  4. Lucyna

Oh please, not another Clinton. They are like deadly cancer that spreads all over the body. Clinton clan needs to be send to the mood with no way to return.

May 22, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  5. usct

Only if she is more truthful than her parents.

May 22, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  6. Susan

Chelsea would probably run things better than either of them. Even though she supports her mother, I think she's the apple that fell further away from the tree.

May 22, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  7. Ramses Vargas

These guys really don't know limits to their ambission. Shame of them, but specially: SHAME OF AMERICA

May 22, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  8. Chris

What a wonderful women. The Clintons have to be proud.

May 22, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  9. Phil-Little Rock

Chelsea has an employer? Why isn't that brat living off of her mommy/daddy's millions? You know, the millions he makes giving speeches to foreign countries to move our jobs over there?

Oops, just answered my own question. Hillary took $20 million from the family's cookie jar, now they'll be able to apply for welfare.

Is it any great wonder how a woman worth $109 million managed to call Sen. Obama elitist? Or am I the only one that noticed that?

GO OBAMA '08!!!

May 22, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  10. ron

Here's a scenario. If Hillary ever becomes president (hypothetically impossible) then some day Chelsea will run and tout her parents' combined experiences in politics as hers. Then the Bush twins who will have come of age will run after that, citing their experience as the first daughters, and we are back to the old England our founding fathers weaned us from. Talk about building politcal dynasties.

May 22, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  11. truthurts

so now Chelsea is a cry baby...
    what hard working american could go to their employer and demand a leave of absence? This family is a piece of work. Chelsea won't even answer a question from a 9 year old but she is thinking about going into politics? Geez... if this doesn't make Hillary fans think twice nothing will.

May 22, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  12. Maggie

Good for Chelsea. She needs to stand up for her mother. She is a smart woman. If Hillary was not "white" and the "golden boy" was not "black" this race would have been over a LONG time ago. It makes me sick to see the reverse racism in the Obama camp.
    I was a young Republican until the first Clinton Run. I found myself to be a moderate Democrat. I don't like that Obama is so far left, I don't like that McCain is so far right. I like Clinton as she is in the middle. He comment that she is like "goldilocks and the three bears" is right on the money. She is not too left, Not too right, she is in the middle. I would vote for Obama if I could determine what type of change he is attempting to make however, the only changes I have been able to verify from his past experience is the following:
    1) He sponsored a bill in 2004 to create an organization for the immigrants, which alots them housing benefits, special loans, Medicare/medicaid, food stamps, WIC.
    2) He has more missed votes in the Senate than Clinton, but ties McCain in missed votes
    3) His Senate voting record has more "Present' votes than Yes, no or absent
    4) He waits for others to make a decision, then jumps on board and if you disagree with the decision, he places the blame on others

We need a leader that will stand tall and put themselves out to protect us and make sure our future is not dismal. I cannot see that Obama has the capability to lead us and the only place I see him leading us to is distruction, confusion and hate. Not a leader for America.

May 22, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  13. Dave in Albuquerque

Chelse Clinton will have a full and happy life, I hope, but the last thing this country needs is a third Clinton in politics. This, from someone who sided with Bill Clinton during the impeachment process and was looking forward to voting for the nation's first woman president. The current nomination race has exhausted my patience with their political amorality.

May 22, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  14. Bob Indianapolis, IN

If she does, she needs to chose a mate who won't be an albatross around her neck down the road...

May 22, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  15. NAMANDE - MA - CNN THE MOST UNRELIABLE NEWS IN THE PRESS

CNN PLEAAAAAAAAAASE!!!! WHERE IN THAT STATEMENT DOES IT SAY THAT SHE MAY GO INTO POLITICS???? IT SAYS "SHE IS GOOD AT IT"

May 22, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  16. Robert

I believe Bill (for once) when he says Chelsea is "allergic to anything we do." Her parents are both toxic.

May 22, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  17. Ernie

HA!HA!Ha!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!....Please, No Way.....

May 22, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  18. Already voted in Oregon

God I hope not. We've had enough of the Clintons. I'm getting tired of not voting for them.

May 22, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  19. paul

And yet all her help is wasted because her mother is just not likable.

And I see her becoming just like her mother, another woman that would do and say anything for a vote and could not be trusted to lead any one.

Bill, Hillary and now Chelsea all becoming a big family of liars. Gee when will it end!

May 22, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  20. DoneWithDems

It's a good thing I'm a gentleman but don't let that keep you guys from having fun.

May 22, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  21. Chipster

After the way her mother has been treated, despite decades of public service and fighting for rights for all Americans, I'm not sure why she or anyone else would ever bother.

Sen. Clinton has had more lies told and baseless accusations made about her than probably anyone in history. For example: those who keep saying that she signed an agreement not to count the votes in FL & MI – that is completely false. There was no such agreement for anyone to sign. She signed an agreement not to campaign in FL & MI and she did not campaign in those states. For the number of times she has been wrongly accused of lying, she's perhaps the most lied about candidate in history!

BTW, Dean had no problem moving a couple of states up, knowing they would go to Sen. Obama and give him an early boost. South Carolina's date change was certainly blessed by the Obama-supporting Chairman.

Good luck, Chelsea. I hope you have your mother's ability to focus on getting the job done without any expectations of appreciation or respect.

May 22, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  22. mark

Great, all this country needs is another Clinton in politics. Just because she campaigns on her mother's behalf , Bill feels she's qualified. It's time to stop political inbreeding!!

May 22, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  23. mike

Don't they have terms for parents who live vicariously through their children?
    I love how she goes to her boss and tells him what he has to do. Give me a leave of absence, I'm Chelsea Clinton.
    You're right Bill, she is ready for politics.

May 22, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  24. j williamson

Chelsea has grown into a lovely and poised young woman – I have a clear memory of her even before her Dad became president. She's certainly very bright and articulate and could add to the polictical discourse in any way she chooses.

May 22, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  25. alvin|

well said !!! but I don't think we should let you be in the white house, we don't need another Clintons in the hood

May 22, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |