May 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton says Chelsea may go into politics

Bill Clinton says Chelsea may go into politics someday.
Bill Clinton says Chelsea may go into politics someday.

(CNN) - Is politics in Chelsea Clinton's future?

Bill Clinton says maybe.

In an interview with People Magazine, the former president said he thinks his daughter is a natural campaigner who may one day follow her parents into the family business.

"If you asked me [whether Chelsea would go into politics] before Iowa, I would have said, 'No way. She is too allergic to anything we do.' But she is really good at it," the former president said in the latest edition of the magazine

Clinton also said Chelsea was deeply upset by her mother's disappointing third-place finish in Iowa in January.

"It all changed after Iowa," he said. "She realized her mother lost Iowa 100 percent because of younger voters. She was upset, bawled, went to her employer and said, 'Look, you got to let me go or give me an indefinite leave of absence. I'm not letting my mother go down like this.' "

Read more from Bill Clinton's interview

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Chelsea Clinton
  1. Robert

It is amazing how she can get "indefinite leave of absence" and the average person who was not connected couldn't.

Who is the elitist?

May 22, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  2. Lame

Chelsea is not cute... Pandering politics won't work for her.. Sorry..

May 22, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  3. Doug R.

She can run. So could almost anyone else.
    And Bob...we don't need another 4 years of Bush policies (i.e. McCain).
    And Mary56...most politicans will do anything to get a vote (look at the flip flopper McCain). Once they are elected, it's a different story. Where have you been?

May 22, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  4. Gabrielle, Lancaster SC

I am an Obama supporter, but I would never support or criticize Chelsea based upon what I like or disliked about her parents. The same way I did not jump on the HRC bandwagon because I liked Bill, I will wait and see what she says. Where she stands on issues, and how she plays the political game.

May 22, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  5. Judy

I really think Bill and Hillary are addicted to the spotlight. They simply can't and won't believe Hillary isn't going to win–they act like the White House is theirs and they want it back. So it doesn't surprise me that they are looking for another way to get back to the White House. Hillary lost because of her own behavior-I wish they could accept that and move on!

May 22, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  6. Jaci

I always liked Chelsea. She is probably the only sane Clinton in their household. Hopefully their shenanigans didn't ruin that poor girl!
    I wish her well...
    Chels, Just don't get your mom's people to campaign for you. You will lose FO' SHO'

May 22, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  7. Josh

Sweet Baby Moses!!! They want a royal family and people are actually glad for that. I feel ill. :(

May 22, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  8. Independent for Obama

Well, she won't be able to pick and choose her questions like she does now. Her father's philandering will never go away.
    I for one, don't want a Clinton dynasty.

May 22, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  9. Alex

I sure would love to quit my job and go work with my parents on the campaign trail. Must be nice. Basically saying, "You can take this job and shove it. My father used to be the President and my mother is trying to be the next President. I'll get paid by my parents." Spoiled brat

May 22, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  10. Fredi

maybe she can repair the damage that her mother is doing to the family name ... Or maybe Hillary should take her daughter as a role model ...

May 22, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  11. Caroline

Chelsea Clinton has indicated several times that she is NOT interested
    in politics. Bill Clinton just stated that she has "allergies" to politics.
    If you look closely at Chelsea, she always has the expression of a
    12 year old being forced by their parents to "perform" for the guests at
    dinner.

May 22, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  12. Dee

I would take Chelsea over momma Clinton any day.!

May 22, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  13. MC, Pa

If I were her, I would be deeply ashamed by my parents. Hope she will be a different kind of Clinton, the good kind.

May 22, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  14. Ron, LV

Before she can run she will have to answer questions from the press. Also, I guess she could claim she has years of experience because she is the duaghter of a president and she even wen to Bosnia and ducked the sniper fire. I think it is time for Bill to go away and be quiet.

May 22, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  15. ltd1974

Yawn! Please no more Clintons

May 22, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  16. tidho

The Sith Lord has chosen a new apprentice?, lol.

j/k Clintonites...relax.

She does seem like she'd be good at it she's very cool under pressure. She could probably succesfully run for a seat in the House right now.

May 22, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  17. Tone

She doesnt have a poker face, cant handle tough questions, WE DONT REALLY KNOW HER, whats her middle name, WHy dont she wear a lapel pin, isnt her former pastor up on molestation charges, Questions questions questions.

May 22, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  18. paul

Why does it bother people that this country has not elected a woman president? If a person is not worthy of being president then their gander should not come into play at all.

I would not care if no woman ever becomes a U.S president. This country needs a real leader not one that cries about the media being sexist as well as voters.

It is funny when she gets treated like a women she tells you to treat her like a man and when you treat her like a man she cries like a woman.

Someone check on Hillary I think she is going though menopause!

May 22, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  19. R.S.-St. Paul

Because of who their daughter is, I say they are good people. Any "good people" raise good children. Hillary is "my girl"! Chelsea is a wonderful, caring, smart young woman. For women like myself-strong women, Hillary is a good example of how you create a "good society", by raising good children. To all you Hillary haters--I'd like to see your children and who they are as people. I'm sure they are spoiled brats!

May 22, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  20. Dave

Oh, come on! There are 350 million Americans. This country doesn't need to be run by two families!

May 22, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  21. andrea, Illinois

she would have to learn a lot...... (especially how to not do things....)
    I find her effort for her mom very honorable, however Chelsea comes over very awkwardly and uncomfortably while talking in the campaign.
    I doubt she has the charisma or the toughness for it!!

May 22, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  22. Democrats for Obama

she is a woman! stop acting like she is a protected little baby. Talk about over protecting. Most people have real jobs at that age. ah, the life of an elitist.

May 22, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  23. Anthony

Good for Chelsea. It is her right to do with her life whatever she wishes. No one has a bone to pick about that. She is young and educated. Her record is clean. If you really think about it she has a better background then Bush your current President. I would encourage her to go for it. There is plenty of room to replace old thinking there in Washington.

May 22, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  24. Dia Akin

Just when we thought we'd FINALLY be done with the Clintons.

I dont think it'll work out too well for her. As much as her mother has done to damage the deomcratic party, no one will take her serious enough to risk dealing with another Clinton. She wont be able to ride on her parent's coat tails as Hillary has tried with Bill.

But Hillary's nasty, demeaning, and poorly run campaign ruined any chance for Chelsea in the future. ESPECIALLY if the Dems lose this year. She'll be known as "the daughter of the woman who costs the Democratic Party an easy election."

May 22, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  25. Realist in Maryland

Oh yay! Could we be so lucky? The Clinton dynasty will continue! She has such bang-up role models. This would be so great for the USA.

(Sense the sarcasm)