May 22nd, 2008

Ellen asks McCain to walk her down the aisle

CNN

Watch part of John McCain's interview with Ellen.

(CNN)— Openly gay talk show host Ellen DeGeneres pressed John McCain Thursday on his opposition to gay marriage.

The presumptive Republican nominee said he believes same-sex couples have the right to legal agreements for insurance and other purposes, but opposes gay marriage. “I just believe in the unique status of marriage between man and a woman,” McCain told DeGeneres.

McCain, who also opposes a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, said he supports and encourages legal benefits for same-sex partners particularly for insurance purposes. The Arizona senator has said individual states should decide the issue.

The talk show host pushed further, drawing parallels between the right to gay marriage and the suffrage movements for women and African-Americans.

“We are all the same people,” DeGeneres told McCain. “You’re no different than I am. Our love is the same.”

The Arizona senator said that she had given an “eloquent” defense of her position, but "we just have a disagreement. And I, along with many, many others, wish you every happiness."

Degeneres joked: "So, you'll walk me down the aisle? Is that what you're saying?"

McCain’s one word response: "Touché."

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Debbie,NJ

The one thing I agree with McCain on.

May 22, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  2. Susie

Vote for Hillary Clinton!

May 22, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  3. Greg, NY

He is old enough to be her father. He could walk her down the aisle.

I heard that McCain got his first wife by hitting her over the head with a club and dragging her back to his cave...

May 22, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  4. Anonymous

good for McCain.

May 22, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  5. Ding, Washington, DC

Talking to enemies gave us Senator McCain. Now, he keeps showing up everywhere he wants. Can somebody asks him why he thinks talking adversaries is a bad idea since he was released as a result of diplomacy of direct talk.

May 22, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  6. Hawaii Dems

Is this what you call newsworthy CNN?

May 22, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  7. anon

Oops... there goes his gay vote.

November is going to be a cakewalk for the Dems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 22, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  8. Jack Mpls

Great dialog. McCain does walk a fine line on the issue and he must be careful what he says on teh subject. I actually believe he would be for marriage but I doubt his party would like that very much. Good interview though.

May 22, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  9. Michael A

As a african american, I hate when people compare gay marriage and civil rights. Gay people arent being denied any rights besides getting married. Black people were denied everything so there is no comparison

May 22, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  10. Yes we can!

WHATEVER OBAMA/NAGEL 2008/2012

May 22, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. Raphael Tx

A Presidential candidate going in to the lions den to face his critics. I admire McCains courage even though I do not agree with his position.
    The more this race goes on the differences in character will become appearant.
    McCain is a war hero who stands up takes on his critics. Obama run and dodges and flip flops on the issues. A quote from Obama's book,
    "Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it," wrote Obama about what he would later say were "bad decisions." "Junkie. Pothead. That's where I'd been headed: the final, fatal role of the young would-be black man."

Wake up America, how would this man handle the pressures of the White House.

Go Hillary, if not Hillary go McCain

May 22, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  12. Festus, Montana

That would be too funny. dumb and dumber. lol

May 22, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  13. Jeanne, San Diego

Come on, McCain, walk her down the aisle. It'll be a beautiful wedding.

Yet another issue in which I disagree with McCain. Equal rights & protection under the law... that's what separates America from so many countries around the world.

May 22, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  14. Tiachi

Weak!!!

Well at least you need to give him credit for sticking to his GUNS on his beliefs.

Touche!

People should not be able to make laws about what other people can do when it comes to love and marriage of consenting adults.

May 22, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  15. AZM

Nice to see two people on opposite sides get along while discussing an issue.

I do agree with McCain on the constitional part... it should be up to the states... far to many issues go to the federal government...

May 22, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  16. Phil

Remember, this is the guy Hillary supporters want you to vote for as "payback" for losing the primary. I can't think of anything more childish.

Also, can you guys and gals hurry up and pay off Hillary's campaign loans, so she can finally drop out? She's not going to quit until you pay off the money she loaned herself. Donate today!

May 22, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  17. Jerry in Illinois

Please! My only comment to this bit of non-news is NO COMMENT.

May 22, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  18. silence do good

I disagree with almost every position I hear from McCain. But he says what he thinks. Next to him, Obama's empty preppy suit and canned speeches is going to be very weak.

Voters like some certainly as opposed to only vague dreams. Especially if the last days of the Bush group raises a scare or security alert.

Very sad day for liberals. Who will pull Obama's strings if he were to get in?

what do you think of [insert issues]?
    McCain – "I am against (or for) it"
    Obama – "I want change and am tired of politics as usual and I as a minority candidate I want the best for all the people all the time".

May 22, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  19. Ryan Indianapolis,IN

John McCain handled this brillantly ,,,Ellen tried to make him look like a Bible beater and that is just no the case. Ellen you are in the minority only roughly 15-20 percent of americans believe in Gay marriage, while only 5-10 percent of the poplulation is actually gay or lesabian. Stop pushing a small minorites wants onto the whole public. So if we give rights to same sex marriage where does it stop, can you marry your dog, your horse, a clone? America will not stand for it and frankly does not want it.

May 22, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  20. NO OBAMA,NEVER

WRONG.....black people ARE GIVEN EVERYTHING !

May 22, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  21. Independent for Obama

At least he had a sense of humor about it. At least he was willing to engage in a dialogue – more than we can say for the current President.

May 22, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  22. Proud1of 26% in WV

Who is going to give who away?.And doesn't the brides family pay for the wedding?.Who will change the oil in the car?Who will win the arguements?

May 22, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  23. trellskig

LOL @ Greg, NY...that's some funny stuff!

May 22, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  24. Independent

Ellen, I love you. I thought he was going to choke on his teeth!

May 22, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  25. Kevin

I think McCain handled it well..

May 22, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |