May 22nd, 2008

Obama begins VP search process

Obama is beginning his search for a running mate.
Obama is beginning his search for a running mate.

(CNN) - Barack Obama is quietly beginning his search for a running mate.

A veteran Democratic activist in Washington confirms to CNN's John King that former Fannie Mae CEO Jim Johnson has accepted Obama's request for him to begin a screening/selection process for the No. 2 spot.

The news was first reported by the Associated Press.

Johnson performed the same role in 2004 and 1984 for then-Democratic presidential nominees John Kerry and Walter Mondale.

The activist, a party operative who has been involved in democratic presidential campaigns and conventions dating back more than 20 years, said it was his information that the process was "at a very early point but that within the campaign itself they have been informally thinking about it for awhile."

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton declined to comment on the report.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Angela

If Hillary is not the VP, then I'm leaving the democratic party and voting for McCain....

I can't stand obama – Hillary, to me, is the WINNER and so if she doesn't end up on the ticket – I won't stay in the party....

I've been a democrat all my life, but this entire process has been disappointing and illegal – when you look at how the caucuses were handled.

May 22, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  2. Jack

Not sure if I trust a guy who chose runningmates for 2 LOSING TICKETS!!!

Although the problem wasn't John Edwards... it was the LOSER elitist John Kerry.

And I don't think Obama's runningmate will be the problem.... it'll be Obama and his status as a clueless, naive rookie!

LET'S PICK A WINNING TICKET THIS TIME!

GO Hillary!

May 22, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  3. Brown

Smart. We can't wait for Hillary to figure out how to add the math in her favor. This campaign has always been a step ahead. Ready from day one.

May 22, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  4. Steve Barnett

Still amazing to see the Obama haters out there making up reasons why there would never vote for him. Lack of experience, elitist etc etc.
    I suppose daddy's boy Bush had a lot of experience. Good guy to have a beer with though.
    Grow up people.

May 22, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  5. Tim in NC

Marilyn (and all you other idiots out there),

So you think that continuing the policies of the current administration, via voting for McSame, or not voting at all) is better for this country than putting a Democrat in the White House who may not hold all of your values, but will DEFINITELY change the course this country is going down?!

If so, then you have no right to call yourself a democrat!

May 22, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  6. slash

You Obama-ites, say what you will, but Hillary had better be at least offered the role, or you can expect MANY of us over 45 working women to NOT be there in the Fall. If he's such a great uniter, working across party lines and across oceans, you would think he could figure out a way to work with a fellow Democrat who's given her life to the betterment of America.

May 22, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  7. Chris from San Antonio

What arrogance from Obama!
    Just because he holds the lead in delegates, superdelegates, states won, popular vote and is 60 delegates away from the nomination is no reason to overstep his bounds.
    Do we really want such a far-thinking man as our President?

May 22, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  8. OBAMA

Please DON'T PICK HILLARY CLINTON!!! PLEASE!! IS NOT WHAT YOU STAND FOR!!

May 22, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  9. Tim from New York

As a Clinton supporter who is undecided about whom to vote for in the upcoming election, the VP choice is going to seriously help my vote, and I doubt that I am the only one who feels this way.

Even though many Clinton voters say they will never vote for Obama, many will come around to him. (I actually voted for him in the primary) People often ask why and how. I tell them that before Super Tuesday I was undecided and leaned toward Clinton, but there was something about Barack Obama that as a young person, you couldn't resist.

After super tuesday, he lost his luster in my eyes. I am really trying to find a reason to support Obama in the fall, but the negatives keep coming out in my eyes....maybe a VP choice will push me over the edge

Thoughts?

May 22, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  10. faye, NV

Mr Obama is doing exactly right, go ahead and begin the search for a honest, fair and trustworth person. The Clintons should not be considered.

May 22, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |