May 22nd, 2008

Obama to deliver commencement address for Kennedy

Obama will deliver Wesleyan's commencement address.
Obama will deliver Wesleyan's commencement address.

(CNN) – Barack Obama will take Sen. Ted Kennedy's place in delivering the commencement address at Wesleyan University this Sunday.

According to Kennedy's Senate Office, Obama offered to take the Massachusetts senator's place earlier this week after Kennedy was diagnosed with brain cancer.

"Senator Kennedy accepted knowing it would be an historic opportunity for the school and all those attending, including his daughter Caroline Raclin who is graduating and his son Ted Jr. who is attending his reunion," Kennedy's office said in a statement. "He's enormously grateful to Senator Obama and the support he's received from all of his colleagues this last week.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Joiner in Texas

I was impressed with Obama before, and I have high regards for T. Kennedy.

I believe this is great and don't care if Obama offered or Kennedy asked. What this is about is a person that really cares doing what he (cuz she can't) is right and just.

I am sure that some of you out there only think "what's in it for me" when someone ask a favor. I guess that is why you selfish people stick to Hillary

Obama is doing the right thing for a friend, and this country.

May 22, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  2. Cindy in California

Give Senator Obama a break all you negative talkers, what did he ever do to you.

May 22, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  3. Joiner in Texas

I was impressed with Obama before, and I have high regards for T. Kennedy.

I believe this is great and don't care if Obama offered or Kennedy asked. What this is about is a person that really cares doing what he (cuz she can't) knows is right and just.

Obama is doing the right thing for a friend, and this country.

May 22, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  4. teesha

Senator Kennedey I will never forget your brother John. I was twelve years old when your brother was killed. I was at school the time that it happened.You will probably never think that a little girl from Quebec, living in Montreal was so affected, I was.. Today I think of you and your family and wish you the best, and my feeling is you will win again this illness, because you are a fighter. God Bless

May 22, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  5. Anita - AZ

I completely agree with you, Obama Supporter. This is not the place to vent your frustrations with the Democratic Campaign. This is Ted's blog. Wish him all the best in life and prayer.

Best wishes for you, Ted and your wonderful family. Thank you, Obama, for offering your help when your friend needs it. That's integrity.

May 22, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  6. yvonne kelly

lots and lots of respect

May 22, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  7. julie

A true friend---Obama for President. God bless the Kennedy family.

May 22, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  8. An American in Canada for David

H.R. Clinton wins the majority of votes and she still is the best candidate for the presidency.

Hillary a true leader and the super delegates will come on board and give her the presidency...

H.R. Clinton go all the way to the convention and get that nomination!

May 22, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  9. Emeka, Florida

Barrack means Blessed of God. Do not curse a man whom God has blessed. The goodness of his heart show's he is genuine. You cannot fake goodness in these long grilling campaign season that has lasted over 16months.

May 22, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  10. A CANUCK

WOW.....HILLARY'S ALMA MATER.....THIS NEWS MIGHT JUST SEND HER OVER THE EDGE. SHE"S WEIRD LATELY!!!!!!

May 22, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  11. Tamara

WOW. Another speech!!! Gee just what we need. Can't Obama ever just talk with the voter. NO debates, NO questions. How easy does it get for him. Obama must do better if he is ever going to win in November.

I know, let Hillary be VP and help him out. She can handle all the tough question. like Policy issue. and the direction for the country. Obama can stand and smile.

May 22, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  12. Amy

Oliver – MD May 22nd, 2008 6:30 pm ET
    "Go Obama 08/12 …. Forever!!!"

Now, this is idiotic. Forever? do you know what are you saying?

What a big surprise for Obama to accept giving another speech!!! This is his job: speeches! Any other ability? No debates..

But who dares to say anything will be accused by the Obamamaniacs not only for being racist but for not being sensitive re Senator Kennedy's illness. Good job! way to go freedom of speech.

May 22, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  13. Nick in NY

He better beat McCain. Obama 2008

May 22, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  14. Sweety Todd

What is really scary is that the Obama-nuts have so much invested in their guy, that no matter what he does, they'll be behind him. I guess you call those people zealots, and they are probably the same crew that supported Clinton when he was getting impeached. They'll probably abandon Obama too when he tanks and something new and shiny comes along.

May 22, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  15. georgia

It's how freinds take care or freinds. The Clintons wouldn't know anything about that as they only use & abuse people, even one another.
    Peace & God's grace to the Kennedy's & Obama's. & of course the USA > REAL Change in 08 !!!!

May 22, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  16. Kim in Pa

Barack is a man of honor and integrity. Ted Kennedy is a hero to many of us. Obama is a fitting surrogate for a great man. I love Teddy and I love Barack. I can only hope that, by a miracle, Senator Kennedy survives his grim prognosis, and continues to represent all of us in the Senate. my thoughts and prayers will be with him and his family.

May 22, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  17. Karen in Cape Cod

Another freebie for Obama to campaign!

May 22, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  18. vic nashville,Tn

Empty vessel make noise

May 22, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  19. David D Kollie

Go right on BOXER.

May 22, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  20. Sylva

That's GREAT!!

COME ON DEMOCRATS - LET'S WORK TOGETHER AND GET BACK THE WHITEHOUSE FROM THE GOP...

OR DO YOU ALL WANT TO PAY 12.00 A GALLON FOR GAS.... THIS IS WHAT THEY ARE SAYING...

THINK ABOUT–

TIME TO STOP THIS HATING

Democrat vs GOP

WIN BACK THE WHITE HOUSE FOR YOUR FUTURE!!!

May 22, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  21. independent

there you go the protege.

Obama is a puppet, and Americans will soon know.

May 22, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  22. If not Hillary, then Mccain

Ever wonder why Keith Olbermann Hates Hillary, well Breaking all the commonly held stereotypes of news commentators as sexual dynamos, a woman who had a tryst with Keith Olbermann described her romantic experience with the MSNBC commentator as less than gratifying. From The New York Post:

May 22, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  23. Marlie:

It shows the degree of admiration that Sen. Kennedy has for Sen. Obama to ask him to step in for him. They are both great men abd God bless them.

May 22, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  24. bringin the pain

obama for mutt catcher

May 22, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  25. David Goldman for OBAMA

O YEA mar.

YOU SHOULD ASK YOURSELF THE QUESTION.

IF YOU COULD BE HIM, WOULD YOU.

OBAMA IS PRESIDENT WAITING TO BE SWORN IN.

May 22, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |