May 22nd, 2008

Obama to deliver commencement address for Kennedy

Obama will deliver Wesleyan's commencement address.
Obama will deliver Wesleyan's commencement address.

(CNN) – Barack Obama will take Sen. Ted Kennedy's place in delivering the commencement address at Wesleyan University this Sunday.

According to Kennedy's Senate Office, Obama offered to take the Massachusetts senator's place earlier this week after Kennedy was diagnosed with brain cancer.

"Senator Kennedy accepted knowing it would be an historic opportunity for the school and all those attending, including his daughter Caroline Raclin who is graduating and his son Ted Jr. who is attending his reunion," Kennedy's office said in a statement. "He's enormously grateful to Senator Obama and the support he's received from all of his colleagues this last week.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. YES WE CAN ! (Kissimmee, FL)

C'mon Hillary supporters..dont cut off your nose to spite your face.

come on board the CHANGE EXPRESS.

OBAMA 08'/12'

May 22, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  2. sanger, tx

BROWN NOSING IS WHAT I CALL IT!! barack omamma is only in it for himself.

May 22, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  3. Noclinton

I'm just glad he didn't pick Hillary to stand in for him. She's terrible.

May 22, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  4. N

Big deal! Will there be a concert following?

May 22, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  5. RF

Giving a speech...about all he's good for.

May 22, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  6. mya

Mary said:
    **How sad that Senator Kennedy could not make the speech and what a poor substitute in Obama.
    I do wish Senator Kennedy and his family the very best. Senator Kennedy has served this country well.
    *******************
    Oh Mary, get over yourself already! Obama's a great speaker and you know it! He WILL also be a great president.

May 22, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  7. Yeswecan

This is THE MAN I could die for. This is called character. I do not want to spoil this lovely news by writing about Hiliary. Love you OBAMA.
    Some other thread maybe...

May 22, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  8. Rave

Great service you are doing Mr. Obama. Keep it up.
    People may say you are Elitist, Well Educated... but that is something you have earned with your hard work.
    I am not as educated as you, but I wish I was and I wish my kids would have a role model like you. America needs role models like you.
    In these difficult time, I can imaging how much comfort and strength it gives to your (and our) dear friend Mr. Ted Kennedy

May 22, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  9. Florida Democrat

What an honour! Lucky people!

May 22, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  10. Bush was never elected

You Hillary trolls are disgraceful. Obama will surely deliver an impressive and honorable speech, and you losers are gonna miss it because of your ignorance. You choose a washed up overly hyped flip flopper to lead the country. She is the ringleader in this mess of a circus. I think the only thing she is qualified for is to be a guest on the Jerry Springer show. It's a shame that everything has to be dumbed down for you all so you can catch up. You totally miss the point.

May 22, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  11. Anonymous

love it love him.

May 22, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  12. Hans-Erik Iken

All those posters who are ranting against Obama as if he is taking this to 'use' the Kennedy name for his own purposes:

Ted Kennedy was the first of his family to endorse Obama months ago, followed closely by most of the Kennedy family. Ted himself even likened Obama to his own brothers so first get your facts straight before you start your poisonous rants.

Well done Obama, you are showing that you are a friend in need indeed.

May 22, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  13. Sharon in Oakland, CA

Good people do good things for good people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We are not in this world just for ourselves, we are here for each other. At least that is what my parents taught me and obviously that is what Senator Obama was taught as well.

May God bless Sen Kennedy and keep his family and friends strong!

May 22, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  14. Terry

Barack Obama is a wonderful man and a once in a lifetime candidate.

May 22, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  15. ber6964

That right America fulfill Teddy, JFK, RFK and MLK's dreams and elect BO president. GOOO OBAMA

May 22, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  16. Teresa of Newport Beach, CA

That is WAY COOL, OBAMA. Senator Kennedy right hand man for the job.

No matter what anti-supporters of Obama say, your is high always.
    Give the speech from the heart and let it be felt.

May 22, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  17. Sandy

Way to show your support for a good friend Obama.

May 22, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  18. david

Good job Barack...and for those that think that he is taking advantage of the situation....well, Hillary could have made the same offer...it is after all her Alma Mater....I am actually suprised that she did not. But of course she was not endorsed by Ted,....which might have gotten in the way of actually giving a hoot.

May 22, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  19. Brian

This is pure marketing and nothing else!!!!! Try this spin....
    The Jews didn't believe me.....I'll try the kids.
    I can fill in for a Kennedy (like thats a challenge).
    I'm there for you man. (this is without any beers)

May 22, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  20. Lovely in VA

We love you Barack!

May 22, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  21. Hillary is unelectable

Thanks Obama! You are showing everyone who you really are.
    Great Job!!! We love you!!!

2008 Obama!!!!

May 22, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  22. FEDUP

If your not pro-Obama, you will not get posted.
    Blacks are notorious for violence..The Obama-bots are threating to riot if Obama is not the nominee? Either way, there will be riots. Look at the Cowboy celebration that turned to looting. It is to be expected. Why does it always turn to breaking windows and looting? Please explain that to me?

May 22, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  23. Brian

What a guy....what a sweetie pie.....gosh oh gee. Wake up Frank, Tom, JB, DBZ, Jewel, Army wife, Texas Girl and all the rest..........I'm tearing up reading how happy you all are. whaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

May 22, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  24. PRESIDENT OBAMA

TO: H May 22nd, 2008 5:28 pm ET

"WHAT A DISGRACE. TO USE SOMEONES ILLNESS TO GET FREE ADVERTISING. BARACK OBAMA WILL DO ANYTHING TO GET ELECTED."

go to H!

May 22, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  25. JB2008

Go Obama!! And I was reading the other articles regarding senator Hillary Clinton and the rally becuase of the Michigan and Florida votes..
    That's a disgrace!!!!!! WHY SHE AGREED NOT TO COUNT THE VOTES IN THE BEGINNING AND NOW SHE WANTS THEIR VOTES ? HELLO!! DESPERATION!! THAT'S ALL WHAT A TOTAL DISGRACE THAT WOMEN IS !!

May 22, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |