May 23rd, 2008

Obama adds two superdelegates, one's a former Clinton backer

Sen. Obama campaigned in Florida Thursday.
Sen. Obama campaigned in Florida Thursday.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama pocketed two more of his party’s superdelegates Friday.

California congressmen Jim Costa and Dennis Cardoza are endorsing the Illinois senator, according to a statement released by his campaign.

“While I continue to greatly respect and admire Senator Clinton and feel she has made history with her campaign, I believe that Senator Obama will inevitably be our party’s nominee for President,” Cardoza, who had previously supported Sen. Hillary Clinton, said in the statement.

Cardoza also waded into the controversy over seating the Florida and Michigan delegations at the Democratic convention. “I will not support changing the rules in the fourth quarter of this contest through some convoluted DNC rules committee process. Yet, we must find a resolution” to the situation with Florida and Michigan, Cardoza said. “I believe we need to avoid this potentially divisive situation by uniting behind one nominee and bringing the party together immediately,” he added.

Costa said electability had helped drive his decision. “In my opinion, it is clear that Senator Obama will be the strongest presidential nominee for the Democratic Party,” Costa said in the statement released by the campaign.

Obama leads the delegate race with a total of 1,967 total delegates including 309 superdelegates, according to CNN’s latest tally. Clinton has 1,779 total delegates, including 279 superdelegates. The number of delegates necessary to claim the Democratic nomination is currently 2,026 but that number may change once the Democratic National Committee decides how to resolve the situation regarding the Florida and Michigan delegations.

The DNC’s Rules and Bylaws Committee is set to meet on May 31 and hear appeals from both states that were stripped of all their delegates to the convention because they held their primaries in violation of party rules.

1. zivo24

I just wish everyone would remember that Clinton agreed to the DNC's decision to penalize Florida and Michigan when it was made.

Now she's acting like she's the patron saint of the poor disenfranchized voters of those states...but only because she's behind.

Shameless and shameful.

May 23, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  2. KC Atlanta

I am not surprise they are flocking to his side,the amazing phenomenon surprises me was the fact some came out from her side,thats alone carries fat meaning if you can reason with me.

May 23, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  3. Tom B

Typical Democratic/Republican Politician.

Try to find the winning Band Wagon and not pay any attention to who or what the candidate is all about.

From a Republican

May 23, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  4. Jennifer NY

turncoats – no matter what happens, Hillary is a wise person for pursuing her goals and someday, people will see the widsom of it....you can never call her weak or a quitter. The people of the remaining states deserve to have her stay in for the primary votes. Good luck to the blowhard Obama for trying to win in the big states – ain't gonna happen. The DNC really blew this election. If I'm wrong – then I will say I was wrong – but from where I sit – I don't see it.

May 23, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  5. sheryl

Thanks!!!! Keep coming we need all SD to step out and that the leap!

Let's all unite!!!

Obama 08/12!

May 23, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  6. John - MN

As a Clinton supporter, I'm disappointed she wont be the nominee but I greatly respect Obama....any Dem. is better than a 3rd term of failed Bush policies.

May 23, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  7. vic nashville,Tn

We don’t care
    I am sure Hillary will go up to the convention
    If she don’t get the nomination we will vote for Mc Cain
    I am sure Hillary will have more popular votes end of the primary
    If DNC give the nomination to Obama that is against voters wish that is called broker nomination
    We will select Mc Cain
    We don’t like Hillary to be VP ticket she can wait four more years
    Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08

May 23, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  8. rich

Even with Michigan and Florida, she'd still need the super delegates to overrule the popularly elected pledged delegates. This course of action won't help her win but could certainly inrease the number of her supporters unwilling to vote for Obama. Pure and simple this is a case of, "if I can't have it, no one will."

May 23, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  9. Crush Rush

Hillary is the only true Republican left to vote for,just ask any Walmart greeter.

May 23, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  10. Maria Davis

It's obvious that people that once supported Hillary are "wisening up" to the fact that she's acting like a child having a "tantrum" because things are not going the way that she was "so sure" would go. Hillary, you need to step aside with whatever little pride you have left and let the Demovcratic Party heal so that we can have an election in November!!!
    You go Senator Obama!!!!

May 23, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  11. YES WE CAN ! (Kissimmee, FL)

KEEP EM COMING !!!

C'mon Hillary supporters. Dont cut off your nose to spite your face. Come aboard the CHANGE EXPRESS. and unite.

OBAMA 08'/12'

May 23, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  12. joaquin

Again, time to Hillary to get off and show support for Obama.

Otherwise, she will end up giving us 4 more years of McBush.

May 23, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  13. Tam/Stone Mountain

What a trickle for Obama. I guess another one saying." Oh well I guess we are stuck with this nominee." Better unite the party so let me switch. The way the DNC has treated Hillary is a disgrace and the party will not unite unless she is on the ticket.

May 23, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  14. RB

Thank goodness the superdelegates are nearing their fill of HRC and her divisive tactics! I can't understand why on earth women are so supportive of HRC. Is it solely because she's a woman? For Pete's Sake! If that's the case, couldn't you have picked a more professional flag bearer? There has to be at least one woman who is able to tell the truth, not cheat, not break the rules, and not take advantage of "less-educated" Americans??? How ironic that HRC is acting like the stereotype all women claim to loathe. I would not have her as my flag bearer!! Women have worked too hard for too long to have HRC make you all look like fools. RUN AWAY FROM HER. SHE IS HURTING YOUR CAUSE.

May 23, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  15. Graduate Stduent

I am so tired of MI and FL!!! Thank God some of her supporters are coming to their senses. This primary reminds me of a pre-school
    tug- a- war match. It's mine-no it's mine. Enough already!!

From the start, we were told FL and MI did not count. ALL of the candidates including Hillary Rodham-Clinton agreed to rules set by the DNC. Now, everyone is blaming the DNC and Obama for this mess. I believe if Hillary had not started whining because she is loosing the delegate count, we would not be confused about FL and MI. But, I say let them count because she still can not win!!! Do the math as I have!!

Obama 2008!! It's time to turn the page; change is long over do!!

May 23, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  16. Maxine

I question why so many of the SD haven't moved forward...I think this is going to be played out at the convention. The DNC let this go too far with Hillary screaming unfair (once she realized she wasn't the winner) since February 5. Once you let a child start throwing a fit (Hillary) you can't get them to stop. She is also having her attorneys get papers ready to stop Obama's nomination (NPR) quoted today.

What a mess.

May 23, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  17. Jason from Colorado

The pretty simple fact is that Hillary agreed to the rules from the start. What she is doing is like shaking on a bet and then not paying your friend after you lose.

I just really hope that the "Hillary or McShame" morons snap out of it before November.

May 23, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  18. I have a great idea

A fight to the death... liberals vs. conservatives

May 23, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  19. mel

Hillary need to step down and bring unity and looking for seat on the
    surpreme court judges or maybe secty of state. It is time to move to
    defeat Mccain in november. Time to stop and Obama defeat mccain.

May 23, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  20. big gal

can't change horses in the middle of the road!
    keep to the plan and get on the "Obama unite us train"

May 23, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  21. Elisabeth

FLORIDA and MICHIGAN have to be counted. Obama will not be a truthworthy "foreign policy negotiator".

May 23, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  22. Mike

Hey obamaosama, if you are a democrat, fine, if you are a republican, fine, but don't be ignorant. The thing that will ruin America will be stupidity like yours.

May 23, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  23. cant we all just get along

Democrats come together behind Barack Obama Clinton supporters your candidate will support Obama and you should to so that we can take back the white house!!!

May 23, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  24. Enlightened Voter

Great for Obama, these superdelegates aren't dumb. But I have a question, how is Clinton more electable when she is losing in pop vote (which includes Mich & fl), super dels and delegates and states won? Isn't the more electable person supposed to be winning?

May 23, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  25. Law O.

So people,who won WV,Kentucky and Oregun?

May 23, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |