May 23rd, 2008

Obama adds two superdelegates, one's a former Clinton backer

Sen. Obama campaigned in Florida Thursday.
Sen. Obama campaigned in Florida Thursday.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama pocketed two more of his party’s superdelegates Friday.

California congressmen Jim Costa and Dennis Cardoza are endorsing the Illinois senator, according to a statement released by his campaign.

“While I continue to greatly respect and admire Senator Clinton and feel she has made history with her campaign, I believe that Senator Obama will inevitably be our party’s nominee for President,” Cardoza, who had previously supported Sen. Hillary Clinton, said in the statement.

Cardoza also waded into the controversy over seating the Florida and Michigan delegations at the Democratic convention. “I will not support changing the rules in the fourth quarter of this contest through some convoluted DNC rules committee process. Yet, we must find a resolution” to the situation with Florida and Michigan, Cardoza said. “I believe we need to avoid this potentially divisive situation by uniting behind one nominee and bringing the party together immediately,” he added.

Costa said electability had helped drive his decision. “In my opinion, it is clear that Senator Obama will be the strongest presidential nominee for the Democratic Party,” Costa said in the statement released by the campaign.

Obama leads the delegate race with a total of 1,967 total delegates including 309 superdelegates, according to CNN’s latest tally. Clinton has 1,779 total delegates, including 279 superdelegates. The number of delegates necessary to claim the Democratic nomination is currently 2,026 but that number may change once the Democratic National Committee decides how to resolve the situation regarding the Florida and Michigan delegations.

The DNC’s Rules and Bylaws Committee is set to meet on May 31 and hear appeals from both states that were stripped of all their delegates to the convention because they held their primaries in violation of party rules.

1. McCain is the flip flop express

Republican for Obama here.

McCain the king of flip flops.

People make sure you know what you are getting he has a long history of flopping.

May 23, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  2. Roger

The Superdelegates are doing more harm than good by going towards Barack. The party is doomed if he's the nominee. Obama is going to ruin this country even more just like Bush did.

May 23, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  3. Priscilla for Obama

What a go Superdelegates!!! Now if the other superdelegates would just get on board, Obama could concentrate his full attention on the general election. He needs this time to prepare.

Obama for President – Yes We Can!!!

May 23, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  4. Rus in St. Paul, MN

The unelectable arguement is waining as well. New Surveyusa polls today in Obama v McCain:

Ohio: Obama – +9
    Virginia: Obama – +7
    Pennsylvana: Obama +8

May 23, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  5. Ted

Hey Heads Up: I have to agree with you, people who advocate voting for McCain if Hillary loses are likely Repubs anyway. No thinking Democrat would vote for 4 more years of the mess Bush has inflicted upon this country and which McCain will continue.

May 23, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  6. Ian

Gosh, I don't know who to vote for between Hillary and Obama. One person seems to know that the GOP is VERY afraid of Obama, but then another says that they are VERY afraid of Clinton. How did they get this information and who can I trust??? I need to put my own opinions aside and vote for who is most likely to win so I need to know. Please help!!!

May 23, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  7. LifeLongDemocrat

We know that most of these politicians do not have the courage of their convictions but are only interested in their own reelections!

May 23, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  8. Keith from WI

Billary has been moody, angry, weepy, mean, hostle, points to no one in the crowd every time with that fake smile and rambles on and on. hmmm......on one has suggested this ..but.....these are all the signs of going thru menopause....yes....menopause.....

Why on earth would we dare take a chance on someone where she would be so unstable and no one could stop her.....very scary!

It takes years for that to end.....we can't take that chance!!!

May 23, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  9. Conner

Whew! I feel as if I've already been through the general election because of Hillary. She played way more dirtier than the GOP will ever do. That's because they are smart enough not to wake the sleeping giant of race. If you want to go there, then go there, but it won't be pretty and Barack will come out on top. Most intelligent Americans no that race does not have a place in any election.

Obama 08

May 23, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  10. Marcella lasley

I wonder why all of these people that are crazy for Obama, don't remember that he would'nt take an oath of office on the Holy Bible. He insisted that he be allowed to take the oath on HIS bible...The Korhan..That my friends is the bible of ALL Musulims..Wake up America...We are going to be taken over by our oun faults...I'm really afraid for our country....

May 23, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  11. Salomon

What happened if Senator Obama was in Mrs Clinton position: The DNC would tell him: Buddy its time to go. Why even look at the Rules when Both candidates signed the same agreements before going to that battle. This is insane. This need to stop. Democrats are so stupid: by saying that they will not vote for Sen. Obama if he is in fact the DNC nominee not Sen. Clinton. WOW!!! Go Democrat!!!! The Republicans are laughing out loud... I was Republican... Not anymore after I see the transparence & ability of Sen. Obama... Finally we the American people can have a REAL PRESIDENT that will listen and negotiate for peace instead of bully the world with our supremacy of weapons. I AM JEWISH AND I AM VOTING BIG TIME OBAMA... All who's talking about RACE, RELIGION.... Forget all that. I will go to every Temple and tell my friends to achieve REAL PEACE & SECURITY OF Israel there's only one man that can do it in our time. OBAMA... OBAMA.. OBAMA... He is real, fresh, young and ready.

Salomon

May 23, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  12. Liz.

The movement continues.

There is plenty of room on the Obama Bus.

ALL ABOARD!!!!

May 23, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  13. NELSON Colorado Springs, Co

Right choice, GO OBAMA

May 23, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  14. Tired of W, OH

Obama will have the nomination. Everybody knows this (even Clinton). The superdelegates could and should come forward now as a group and end this fiasco. Then, the DNC could give in and seat the Michigan and Florida delegates to end this divisive and futile attempt by the Clinton campaign to give the general election to McBush.

May 23, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  15. Freida, NYC

I may also add, that after the biased media coverage (especially from the MSNBC pundits; Chris Matthews, and Keith Olbermann), derogatory statements, and insults among the Dem candidates (and their supporters)...I have decided to become and Independent voter.

I had enough!

May 23, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  16. Obama in 2016

He WILL NOT WIN this election. Clinton will beat McCAIN or McCain will beat Obama.

PLEASE AMERICA BEFORE ITS TOO LATE REALIZE HE WILL NOT WIN THE NATIONAL ELECTION!

May 23, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  17. Peter Damoah-Afari

That is great. Obama will lead America come November. Gob bless Obama.

May 23, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  18. Robert, Madison, WI

I think Clinton may have made a mistake coming out with tough talk on potentially taking this convention. This may cause Super D's to come out sooner, rather the later and make results of FL/MI not matter no matter how they cut it so she can't win.

She might have shot herself in the foot.

May 23, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  19. Mario

Patrick, Indianapolis May 23rd, 2008 12:11 pm ET

Well it is pretty ironic to know that if Florida had stayed at March 4th and allowed campaigning and Clinton won by 15 points then Obama would have been finished. Florida would have been THE deciding state if it didn't move up its primary. I always get a chuckle at that.
    Love your analysis. However, the dynamics of the race would have changed in that span. I am pretty sure that Obama would have carried Michigan by the time they were supposed to vote and most likely the margin in FL would have been lower.

May 23, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  20. Larry

So, now that CNN continues to post a majority of pro-Obama threads...let's be clear...it's OK for Superdelegates to change sides.

Please no whining from the Obama campaign or his media lackeys if/when any of his current superdelegates change sides.

May 23, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  21. Jim-Saint Paul Minnesota

It is strange that the party that complained that votes weren't counted in 2000, would decide not to count them now. It was a fair election in Michigan and Florida. Obama made the decision not to campaign in those states, while Hillary did. It's no fault of her's that Obama chose to ignore voters in both of those states and wants to continue to ignore them. The vote happened, Clinton won. The problem with the caucus primary system is that the Iowa and New Hampsire voters and the early states get to choose a nominee. I don't blame either Michigan and Florida for moving their voting up. If Minnesota could move their voting up to the first couple of days of the election season, I would support that too.

May 23, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  22. C DRUMMOND

I AM OF ONE OF THOSE FLORIDIANS WHO DID NOT VOTE IN THE PRIMARY SINCE I WAS TOLD THAT MY VOTE WOULD NOT COUNT. HOW WOULD THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY FACTOR IN MY VOTE IN THIS PROCESS? I WILL VOTE FOR BARACK OBAMA IN THE FALL.

May 23, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  23. goran

From a safe distance(Sweden) I can´t help wondering what´s going on. Not that I´d vote for either candidate(Clinton/Obama) but still...
    I live in a country for which I have less admiration than I have for the US. Here, however if a political party went on a roadtrip like the democrats they´d be literally obliterated in the next election.
    Maybe the smoke-filled rooms were not that bad after all...

May 23, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  24. Susan

Excellent! Thank you, Congressmen!

Obama only needs what, 40 or so by May 31st to sew this up? If the uncomitteds would stand up and think of the good of the party, they would come out over the Memorial Day weekend and endorse the candidate who was against the war from the beginning.

The Clinton camp said it would stop when there is a nominee. Ok, give us a nominee – by May 30th. This would hopefully make the FL/MI discussions less of an issue, halt some lawsuits and appeals, and start the process of healing that has to occur if we are going to have a Democrat in the White House next year.

May 23, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  25. HILARY IS FROM THE STATE OF DENIAL

CNN PLEASE REPORT THEY ARE 4. ADD THE 2 OF EDWARDS DELEGATES FROM HEW HAMPSHIRE!

May 23, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |