May 23rd, 2008

Obama adds two superdelegates, one's a former Clinton backer

Sen. Obama campaigned in Florida Thursday.
Sen. Obama campaigned in Florida Thursday.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama pocketed two more of his party’s superdelegates Friday.

California congressmen Jim Costa and Dennis Cardoza are endorsing the Illinois senator, according to a statement released by his campaign.

“While I continue to greatly respect and admire Senator Clinton and feel she has made history with her campaign, I believe that Senator Obama will inevitably be our party’s nominee for President,” Cardoza, who had previously supported Sen. Hillary Clinton, said in the statement.

Cardoza also waded into the controversy over seating the Florida and Michigan delegations at the Democratic convention. “I will not support changing the rules in the fourth quarter of this contest through some convoluted DNC rules committee process. Yet, we must find a resolution” to the situation with Florida and Michigan, Cardoza said. “I believe we need to avoid this potentially divisive situation by uniting behind one nominee and bringing the party together immediately,” he added.

Costa said electability had helped drive his decision. “In my opinion, it is clear that Senator Obama will be the strongest presidential nominee for the Democratic Party,” Costa said in the statement released by the campaign.

Obama leads the delegate race with a total of 1,967 total delegates including 309 superdelegates, according to CNN’s latest tally. Clinton has 1,779 total delegates, including 279 superdelegates. The number of delegates necessary to claim the Democratic nomination is currently 2,026 but that number may change once the Democratic National Committee decides how to resolve the situation regarding the Florida and Michigan delegations.

The DNC’s Rules and Bylaws Committee is set to meet on May 31 and hear appeals from both states that were stripped of all their delegates to the convention because they held their primaries in violation of party rules.

1. Luckyj

Two month ago HRC had my vote. Desperation is not good. Makes her look weak. Desperation is like stealing from the Mafia: you stand a good chance of attracting the wrong attention. Sorry Hillary.

May 23, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  2. Joseph, Los Angeles

Congratulations and I agree with both congressmen. We need to get behind our nominee and move forward. Much work to be done.

Also, there were rules. You can't change a games rules just because you fell behind, and being a ring-leader arousing such animosity to be directed at the DNC is un-presidentual like. I'm sorry Senator Clinton, I cannot support you on this one.

May 23, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  3. New York

Thank you!! I totally agree and I'm thrilled that people are seeing through this shamI

May 23, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  4. Djnha

If Obama doesn't win the elections against McCain, it'll be because you didn't vote/didn't vote for him. Sounds obvious right? But some people are speaking about an Obama loss as an inevitability. In actual fact, you have the power to bring a democrat to the White House. Don't blow it because you are suspicious of blacks. (Frankly, most of you who are against Obama are only so because of the Rev Wright controversy. And who the heck cares what some angry bitter Pastor has to say?) John McCain wants to hand over the judiciary to the conservatives. Do you know to what degrees of regression we will be subject if we let him? It's much more insidious, ultimately, than anything some raving pastor with absolutely no power (and a lot to be bitter about if we're honest) can fathom. In very real terms, Obama has your best interests at the forefront. Give him a chance.

May 23, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  5. Dena in SC

Great job, super delegates! I smile when people write that Obama can't win. They are so angry. If he can't win, then they shoud be happy, not upset. So I conclude that they know he will beat McCain all to pieces this November.

May 23, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  6. Chet

I hear Barack has a lot more superdelegates, but they will come out when needed, after each primary, especially after Puerto Rico, because they changed from a caucus to a primary because it favors Hillary, their choice and the pill of the century.

Obama 08 and beyond.

May 23, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  7. marie greene

rules are rules

what do we teach our children if we ourselves break the rules

Hillary broke the rules
    now she is crying to her supporters and is encouraging them to demonstrate in her speak made yesterday

this is wrong and two wrongs do not make one right

marie greene

May 23, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  8. Wanda Reed

Face it America, Obama will win no matter what we do because it is meant to be. I don't want him for President and would never vote for him and I am hoping that Hillary would not accept a VP slot if offered. She is so much more capable and smarter than he is that I would be offended if she accepted. People so misjudge her, she is trying to fight on because she really believes she is the best candiate and I like so many others agree.

Talk about her supporters all you want, but its minorities and left wing nuts and college kids who havent' been around long enough to know anything who vote for him. But we will all understand in the end why he won.

May 23, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  9. Sarge in Florida

You people have to get your facts in order, the Democrats had nothing to do moving up the primary to January. It was the majority Republican controlled house here in Florida who moved it up. The Democrats hold a minority in the house and they lost the battle. So stop blaming the Democrats for what the Republicans did. This is a Red state and they knew it would hurt the Democrats. That is why that just Half of the Republicans delegates will be seated at their convention. Howard dean needs to fix this injustice. Once again my vote here in Florida is worth nothing....

May 23, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  10. Go Obama 08/12

Superdelegates this madness must end asap PLEASE bring them on and lets get the show on the road all the way to the Oval Office .

WE are tired waiting and what it is causing .

Please Obama

"NO HILARY FOR VP"

NO HILLARY FOR VP

NO HILLARY FOR VP

OBAMA 08/12

May 23, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  11. Darrell

I Agree with you Jim

Hillary or McCaine 2008

Jim May 23rd, 2008 12:34 pm ET

Well, since Florida did not recognize the vote that I cast for Hillary, and since 1.7 Million Democrats did go out and vote as this was the only day and chance we could, it just didnt count. Let's blame the people that are really responsible, and signed this into law. Charlie Christ. Our governor. Since they wont count my vote as a democrat, then I have no choice but to vote republican. At least I know when I vote it will count.

May 23, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  12. Clinton has the popular vote

And Obama has the vote of people who won't even come to out to Vote in November.

I love how they are saying he is registering record of numbers of youth votes. Remember the last time it was all over the news that record numbers of youths were going to help the candidate they were supporting win by a nice margin?

I remember it, because they never showed up, suprising everyone, and thats why Gore lost to Bush.

May 23, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  13. Sweetfriend

I was a die hard Democrat and knew in my heart that they are the most crooked minded people ever but stifled my conscience and supported them.Now that the evidence is all clear I can no longer support them.
    I predict that both California and Florida will be won by my new Party -Republican.

May 23, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  14. Chi4Obama

As we all know,
    This race has been over for weeks. The reality is, Obama STILL has droves of "uncommitted" superdelegates that will be backing him. However, they are refraining from making their public commitments known at once, out of respect for Hillary. Which is why you only see a handful of delegates pledging their support about every other day.

I am pro Obama, but not anti-Hillary. I just hope that she, along with many of her supporters will not express any "bitter" feelings once he becomes the nominee. Democrats we need to put all of this fighting aside, and unite for the betterment of our country. This is the only way that our nominee will have a chance to defeat John McCain in November.

May 23, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  15. Blayze Kohime

"Clinton backer switches to Obama"
    Me thinks the news has been getting repetitive in that department lately.

May 23, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  16. Sweetie

Calling a woman, "Sweetie," is like calling a black man "Boy."

You Obama fans don't get it. We "sweeties" think the Democratic party doesn't deserve to win while sexism is ignored or trivialized. I have never seen so many truly nasty people get behind a single candidate, and I refuse to honor such people with my vote. Obama attracts real haters. I don't want a government made of up Hitler Youth, thanks anyway. At least McCain is straightforward and doesn't attract people like you. Disrespect and Hate for other Americans is what you sow with your foul mouths.

I, for one, am tired of voting for the lesser of two evils. I've been doing it for years. No more of that. I don't have to, and millions of others don't have to either. And don't give me your "the sky is falling if McCain is elected so you have to vote for B.O. or you're evil" argument. You accuse Clinton of that silly position all the time. What's another four years? McCain it is!! Let's just worry about what these wives look like in jeans-that's the only interesting thing about women in America. Get somebody else to match your sox, boys.

May 23, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  17. PDM

"YES WE......." better luck next time, Hillary.

May 23, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  18. Caryn, Washington DC

Clinton said that she might take her fight all the way to the convention. I hope that more Superdelegates will get behind Obama before she makes even more of a mess.

Hillary PLEASE STOP. We'll pay down your debt just get out of the race and forget about being VP.

May 23, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  19. FRED, Atlanta GA

Hillary supporters PLEASE just let it go and REALIZE she is not going to be nominated no matter how much she claims the POPULAR vote which her numbers don't even add up! FACE FACTS!!! it's just not going to happen I just wish the superdelegates would just close this out so all of you will finally WAKE UP!! Hillary ran a horrible campaign and I honestly feel she doesn't deserve the VP spot like I said before we need to put our petty differences aside and unite instead of you stating you vote for mccain which is not going to help you especially all of her women supporters in the long run. FACE IT SHE IS NOT GOING TO GET THE NOMINATION so protest all you want in DC and while your protesting ask hillary why she AGREED not to seat FL & MI in the first place where you guys then if she was so adament about having your votes count she would have said so from the beginning BUT SHE DIDN"T!

OBAMA 08/12 YES WE CAN and YES

May 23, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  20. Maria

all this Super Duper Delegates who are swithing to Obama will regrets later,since, many of us Clinton supporters will change our votes in favor of Senator McCain. Hispanics for McCain. Period.

May 23, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  21. Wouk

This is one elderly, white male for Obama!

Hillary supporters:

Take your pick.

Obama who essentially agrees with your candidate on most issues, or

McCain who essentially agrees with George W. Bush on most issues.

Who do you want picking the next Justices of the Supreme Court?

Support unity for the Democratic Party and work toward an outcome in November that will turn the tide against the ravages of the last 7 and a half years.

May 23, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  22. ExPat

It's entertaining reading just how bitter both the Clinton AND the McCain camps actually are. As entertaining as looking at a car crash.

May 23, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  23. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

This is good news! Clinton IS desperate, by the way!

May 23, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  24. Nancy

So many Americans seem to view this set of primaries and the election as akin to a high school election for prom king and queen. Choosing NOT to vote for either nominee if "your" nominee is not it, is childish and irresponsible. Americans, wake up. Your vote is not just about you or your hurt feelings or your taxes or your pet cause or pet candidate, it impacts many important aspects of this nation and the entire planet. No time for petulance!

May 23, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  25. Old Women from Minnesota for Barack

Welcome aboard sir(s). Next stop: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

May 23, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |