May 23rd, 2008

Obama adds two superdelegates, one's a former Clinton backer

Sen. Obama campaigned in Florida Thursday.
Sen. Obama campaigned in Florida Thursday.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama pocketed two more of his party’s superdelegates Friday.

California congressmen Jim Costa and Dennis Cardoza are endorsing the Illinois senator, according to a statement released by his campaign.

“While I continue to greatly respect and admire Senator Clinton and feel she has made history with her campaign, I believe that Senator Obama will inevitably be our party’s nominee for President,” Cardoza, who had previously supported Sen. Hillary Clinton, said in the statement.

Cardoza also waded into the controversy over seating the Florida and Michigan delegations at the Democratic convention. “I will not support changing the rules in the fourth quarter of this contest through some convoluted DNC rules committee process. Yet, we must find a resolution” to the situation with Florida and Michigan, Cardoza said. “I believe we need to avoid this potentially divisive situation by uniting behind one nominee and bringing the party together immediately,” he added.

Costa said electability had helped drive his decision. “In my opinion, it is clear that Senator Obama will be the strongest presidential nominee for the Democratic Party,” Costa said in the statement released by the campaign.

Obama leads the delegate race with a total of 1,967 total delegates including 309 superdelegates, according to CNN’s latest tally. Clinton has 1,779 total delegates, including 279 superdelegates. The number of delegates necessary to claim the Democratic nomination is currently 2,026 but that number may change once the Democratic National Committee decides how to resolve the situation regarding the Florida and Michigan delegations.

The DNC’s Rules and Bylaws Committee is set to meet on May 31 and hear appeals from both states that were stripped of all their delegates to the convention because they held their primaries in violation of party rules.

1. Susan

It's been fascinating reading these blogs. I've lived in many of the places where people are supposedly commenting from. Folks, look outside of your own community. You'll see that your opinion does not necessarily reflect what the U.S. as a whole thinks, or even needs, right now. Obama has already shown he has the wisdom to lead; just look at how effective and efficient his campaign has been.

May 23, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  2. Frank Ontario

Being a Clinton fan since 1992 it saddens me to see what they are doing to their image. Asking for more donations to support a hopeless cause is inexcusable. When multi millionaires continue to bilk ordinary working people of their nickels and dimes by asking them to give their money under false pretenses is simply deplorable.

May 23, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  3. Alice

Nooooooo to Hillary as VP. We have enough worries about his safety without choosing a successor that is just chomping at the bit.

That would be like making your estranged ex-spouse the beneficiary of your life insurance policy.

I'm not accusing her of anything - just noting that it adds significantly to existing fears.

May 23, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  4. Reality Check

Clinton is ahead in the popular vote. It is extremely troubling if the candidiate who won the most votes cast in the elections is not the nominee. In spite of everything against her, including the media, the Democratic establishment, Obama's outspending of her by huge margins, she still has won more votes and particularly in state's vital to the Democratic Party in November. If this were winner take all like the general election and Republican primaries, she would have secured the nomination by now (she has the most electoral college votes)..

It is completely lame for a superdelegate to simply support someone because they presume that candidiate will be the likely nominee. How about using some independent judgment and actually making a rational thoughtful decision. The job of superdelegates is to select the candidiate who can win in November and that candidiate is Hillary Clinton.

May 23, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  5. R.S.-St. Paul

I am a lifelong Democrat who has observed through this election/primary process such corruption in the way the "elitists of the Democratic Party" choose their nominee that, on principle, will now be voting Republican. It is obvious that the Republicans at least can keep the crap out of their nominating process, unlike the Democrats. I will not support the "liberal extremists" of the DNC in their stupidity. They will find out after this is done in November that the majority of Americans don't either. Obama will not be president because America will not be well-served by an extremist of any party. America needs a "centrist" president, one who can present arguments to the American problems in a way that is NOT all one way or the other. That is what Bush has done, and that is what Obama and his supporters are hoping to do. That will NOT DO. I encourage all other intelligent, "moderate", sensible Americans to show the Liberal Left of the Democrat Party that we are leaving you behind, and VOTE MCCAIN. McCain is moderate, he will listen to both sides of the isle in Washington, and he is a brave American who served our Country in Vietnam EXTREMELY WELL. It's time for us to vote in a PATRIOT, not an extremist!

May 23, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  6. OBAMA BIAS

Im still for Hillary. Screw Obama that Idealistic fraud!

May 23, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  7. Hell has no fury, like a woman scorned

these oil stubborn greedy politicians WILL TRY TO HELP HER, trust me, but fate has it, we will find out soon how washington is hiding things from the american people for they are about to be exposed!!

May 23, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  8. Lily

Anyone Democrat who says that they will vote for McCain if Hillary doesn't get the nomination is not a true Democrat and you may be a closet racist. If you believe in what the Democratic party stands for, and you really want a Democrat in the White House then grow up, and fully support the chosen nominee. I

May 23, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  9. Darrel from Denver

It appears to be getting clearer and clearer. The electorate has chosen Senator Obama over Senator Clinton to this point. The super-delegates are doing similar.

Reasons appear to be electability, capability, vision, and leadership. All these things Clinton claims, but Obama is getting the support for in the decisions being made.
    Fewer and fewer citizens are believing Clinton's wild and desperate claims these days, it appears. Quite the contrary, actually. They are not only dismissing them, they are actively refuting them.

It's about time common sense prevailed. Wasn't sure the Democrats had it in them.

May 23, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  10. DB

May 23rd, 2008 12:04 pm ET

Unless the DNC seats the Florida & Michigan delegates and honors the results of those primaries, there will be no party unity, That is a fairy tale.

There are over 18,000,000 people that have voted for Senator Hillary Clinton. We will NOT be falling in line unless the Democratic party does the right thing.

I hope the Democratic party leaders understand there is a good reason why Clinton leads McCain in the big states. She can win and Obama cannot.

–If the DNC does seat FL & MI then the Hillary supporters will find another excuse as to why she lost, and so it goes. As to Hillary being a better candidate against McCain, huh? She couldn't win the Dem nomination. And don't tell me that the polls show her winning against McCain. May polls can't predict Nov results. All of Hillary's arguments are used up. It is time for her to step aside. Then her supporters can either back the nominee or defect. It will make little difference as the huge new Democratic registration wlll overwhelm the crybaby vote.

May 23, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  11. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

Praetorian,
    Um, not sure where you're getting your numbers But it looks like record numbers of voters are registering as Democrats this year. That's why the Reps are currently very concerned "if we were dog food, they'd take us off the shelf".

But, I'm not opposed to your idea of having a strong third party. Because then, politicians couldn't pander to one set of demographics. Unfortunately for many, that's just not the case this year.

It's your right to vote for whomever you want, including writing in my name. But, doing so in this coming election cycle is a wasted vote and likely alters the outcome (much like 1992 with Perot helping Clinton get in and 2000 when Nader helped Bush get in.) Maybe that's what you really want.

But recognize this, much like Hagee and Parsley coming back on McCain when Wright was so blown up. Bob Barr is running as a 3rd party candidate and he'll likely take some votes from McCain. If he takes enough away in Georgia, Obama can win that state. So, be careful what you ask for.

May 23, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. MD

CNN: According to the latest news, 2 of Edwards' New Hampshire delegates also declared for Obama today.

If the Democratic Party is going to want to survive the latest Clinton Lunacy, super delegates must come out in droves by May 31, so that Obama can declare the nomination BEFORE the DNC Rules panel has its dog and pony show.

FL and MI must be punished, as they decided to break the rules, knowing what the consequences would be.

May 23, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  13. Janice

I don't see how he can say that it's clear that Obama should be the nominee when millions of people are strongly behind Clinton. I know Clinton would win Florida and Michigan if there was a revote. If my vote isn't counted then I'm not voting in November if Clinton isn't the nominee. Clinton has the most experience, she stands for everythng I believe in and so far I haven't seen any substance coming from Obama. People want him because he represents change. What kind of change I ask? Change just for the sake of change is not always good. Clinton tells us what she'll do, Obamma only gives us illusions. Wake up people.

May 23, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  14. wrong candidate

Obama is just a puppet candidate installed by the DNC and the democratic left wingers just to appease the youth vote and to prevent a threatened "blackout of the vote" by African Americans.

But... the youth seldom vote anyway, and African Americans ALWAYS vote democratic without much success. There have only been 2 democrats in the White House in the last 35 years. So, exactly how important and powerful IS the African American vote?

It sure does NOT translate into a win in Nov.

May 23, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. commonsense

How is Rev. Wright not a reason to not vote for Obama? Let me say this really slow Obama supporters, and see if you can follow this logic.

If you attend a church, do you consider your pastor a spiritual leader? Yes or No? If no, why do you bother to attend?

Do you agree that Rev. Wright's sermons were America-hating and white-hating? Yes or No? If no, please defend your answer, because to this ignorant white woman they sound quite hateful (That was sarcasm, if you are unfamiliar with the concept).

Do you believe that Obama never heard any of Rev. Wright's hate-filled sermons? Yes or No? If you do, you are willfully idiotic.

Obama has mentors, friends and supporters who have declared their hatred for this country. Rev. Wright is only one of many.

Maybe you need to ask yourselves, "Do you hate this country, too?"

May 23, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  16. Eli

WHERES THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE. She won CA. Since all the big DEM HEADS have been crying the WILL OF THE PEOPLE for a while. HILLARY CLINTON as a INDEPENDENT this fall. This is one of many LIFLELONG DEMS that will not vote DEMOCRATIC this fall.

May 23, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  17. kishon

I THINK IT'S TIME TO TELL HILLARY THAT SHE CAN'T HAVE HER WAY IN THIS MATTER, SHE WAS ALL RIGHT AS LONG AS SHE WAS AHEAD IN DELEGATES, SHE ALSO AGREED TO MICHIGAN AND FLORIDA BE SUSPENDED DUE TO HOLDING THEIR CONTEST TO SOON. NOW THAT SHE IS BEHIND SHE WANTS THE DEMOCRAT
    PARTY TO HERE HER CRY BOOHOO..... I'M THE BETTER CANDIDATE , SEAT FLORIDA'S AND MICHIGAN'S DELEGATES I DON'T CARE IF OBAMA WAS'NT ON THE TICKET GIVE THEM TOO ME NOW! SUPER DELEGATES PLEASE PUT A STOP TOO THIS MADNESS INDORSE OBAMA AND MAKE THIS LITTLE ROTTON GIRL GO AWAY!!!!

May 23, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  18. Peg Robson

I am so to the point now after these months of the campaign trail and the back and forth that I can't even bring myself to vote for any of them. Never did like obama from the beginning. He is just empty...going to unite the country...and how would that happen...hillary, used to be very supportive of her and she would still be my choice because I think she was BUTCHERED by the media and I believe she would pull us out of this terrible mess the bush years have thrust upon our country. mccain, well I actually like him, his life alone gives him credibiltiy but then I am a democrat and not wanting more of the republican pump up the rich at the cost of the rest of us. But then again we don't really elect our president. It is all a big game at the expense of the everyday people. Can't trust any of them.

May 23, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  19. Steve

I know some of you are not good with math, judging by the number of people who believe Clinton is ahead, but I'll try to make this straightforward.

Pick whatever poll you want, but let's say a poll shows Clinton would beat McCain nationally by 8%. That means 54% to 46%, correct? Let's also say that poll shows Obama and McCain are about dead even.

Scenario 1:

If Hillary was to run as an Independent, it would seem logical that the same 46% would vote for McCain, but the 54% Hillary vote would be divided between Obama and Clinton.

Even if she beat Obama 2 to 1 (which is what you gleefully hope to show), the final vote would be something like:

McCain 46%
    Clinton 36%
    Obama 18%

So you supporters would "win" because she beat Obama?

Scenario 2:

Let's say Obama wins the nomination, but 20% of the 50% Dems write in Clinton. The final then would look like this:

McCain 50%
    Obama 40%
    Clinton 10%

So now I guess you will have shown your displeasure with not giving Hillary what was "rightfully" hers (hi, Ann...), but see who wins? Remember, Hillary is not on the ballot in this scenario, so unless everyone writes her in, McCain's numbers would reflect his polls against OBAMA.

So, if you don't mind the Republicans winning another four years, go ahead with your protests and make your point. Unless McCain becomes so unpopular that polls show EITHER Democrat would beat him 65% to 35%, you CANNOT make the math work by Hillary running independently or getting written in.

I know this cannot accurately pin down the electoral votes, but if the Dems are splitting things, it won't work.

May 23, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  20. kkkkkkkyyyyTVivi

ThiskkkkkkkkkThis election is no longer about regular people like me but about the part about the party insiders who in the final decision will control who the nominee is. It's a real eye opener. Super delegates should not exisshould not have all this power.

May 23, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  21. Dru

From an unbiased mind:

I am an African-American from the state of FL now residing in the DC Metro area. Earlier this year I was on the fence of who I would chose, but as the campaign progress and I got to learn more about Senator Obama I became more intrigued about his possibility. I wanted to return to the glory days of the 90s w/ the Clintons, but even more so I wanted to see an honest, heart felt change in this country after the past 8 years. I have no party affiliation and I think Senator McCain has some reputable ideas and intentions. Everything really turned for me when Senator Clinton went negative. But not just negative but fearfully and racially negative...it seemed like something out of the page of a Rove/Bush tactic. Then for the news media to fall away from real issues to "water cooler, tabloid" talk was really disheartening for me to see. I Gas has double since last year, I've cut back on half of my grocery list yet still spending about the same, and I was just laid off a month ago – so, change is in real need for me...

I have three honest questions for the Clinton supports: 1) Why would you not support Senator Obama? He has not been as negative toward Clinton as she has been toward him, but yet in still, the other choice may be too much for this country to bear at this time. 2) If Senator Obama had won MI and FL in the same manner as Senator Clinton do you think she would be in such support of bringing these to states back in play? Probably not. 3) Lastly, would she really want him as her VP? Again, probably not – so let's stop pressuring him to make her the VP.

I like Senator McCain, I like Senator Clinton, and I like Senator Obama; and I think all 3 could be Presidents over this wonderful country. But the world and America are ready right now for the vision that Senator Obama will bring. Not including any of the negatives that are media and special interest driven.

I vote for a job in '08; I vote for a stronger international standing in '08; I vote for lower gas prices in '08; I vote for change we can believe in '08; I vote for Obama in '08.

May 23, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  22. carolflowery

YOur beloved brother Ted Kennedy took Jimmy Carter all the way to the floor so should Hillary because this is just good politics

May 23, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  23. How about this

Lets see now....If Hillary only counts the states she has won and we don't count any of the states Obama has won .....guess what...she would win....is that her next strategy to overcome a loss. Why doesn't she talk about how Billie Boy screwed up with all his stupid preaching that turned many people off....

Go Obama....

May 23, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  24. DB

The pain of the Clinton supporters is apparent. They are lashing out at everything and everyone. Their candidate takes no responsiblity for her failure. It will be o.k., really. President Obama will make it all better.

May 23, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  25. Against Obama!

How about if all you Obamanots read Foxnews about his lies as a politician...He is no different than anytoher Politician. By the way yesterday he changed his story for the 5th time about Iran!

May 23, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |