May 23rd, 2008

Obama adds two superdelegates, one's a former Clinton backer

Sen. Obama campaigned in Florida Thursday.
Sen. Obama campaigned in Florida Thursday.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama pocketed two more of his party’s superdelegates Friday.

California congressmen Jim Costa and Dennis Cardoza are endorsing the Illinois senator, according to a statement released by his campaign.

“While I continue to greatly respect and admire Senator Clinton and feel she has made history with her campaign, I believe that Senator Obama will inevitably be our party’s nominee for President,” Cardoza, who had previously supported Sen. Hillary Clinton, said in the statement.

Cardoza also waded into the controversy over seating the Florida and Michigan delegations at the Democratic convention. “I will not support changing the rules in the fourth quarter of this contest through some convoluted DNC rules committee process. Yet, we must find a resolution” to the situation with Florida and Michigan, Cardoza said. “I believe we need to avoid this potentially divisive situation by uniting behind one nominee and bringing the party together immediately,” he added.

Costa said electability had helped drive his decision. “In my opinion, it is clear that Senator Obama will be the strongest presidential nominee for the Democratic Party,” Costa said in the statement released by the campaign.

Obama leads the delegate race with a total of 1,967 total delegates including 309 superdelegates, according to CNN’s latest tally. Clinton has 1,779 total delegates, including 279 superdelegates. The number of delegates necessary to claim the Democratic nomination is currently 2,026 but that number may change once the Democratic National Committee decides how to resolve the situation regarding the Florida and Michigan delegations.

The DNC’s Rules and Bylaws Committee is set to meet on May 31 and hear appeals from both states that were stripped of all their delegates to the convention because they held their primaries in violation of party rules.

1. MI Luvs Obama!

This is more great news!

I am a former Republican and I support Barack Obama!

OBAMA 08 & 12!

Michiganders just love Barack!

May 23, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  2. pat, FLORIDA

Hillary supporters are not going to support Obama in the convention and in November, so he can try all he wants to win us. The point is that Hillary will be running again in the next 4 years, because Obama is going to be crashed in November. I want to state it right now, I will stay away in November.

May 23, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  3. vw

Probably it is the right time for HRC to drop out of Democratic Party and run as an independent, she can still win and save USA.

May 23, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  4. Jeff

I wouldn't mind seeing this go all the way to the convention. Who cares? If gives all candidates more time to talk about issues. Isn't this what we all wanted? Solutions to current problems in America?

I'm an Obama supporter, but not a democrat through and through. Instead of picking a candidate based solely on party affiliation, I chose to look at the issues and align myself with whom it was that I felt closest to. I don't understand why each of the supporters for both candidates can't see past this fact...are people really that ignorant?

May 23, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  5. matt

Hillary Clinton has known she would not get the nomination since Super Tuesday. She is now running for the 2012 nomination. She has stayed in this race to drag down Barack Obama. She needs Obama to lose in November so she can run again in 4 years.

May 23, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. hilloboma

No matter what happen obama have to include Clinton to the ticket,i knew is not going to be easy for him,but he have to do it.

May 23, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |