May 23rd, 2008

Supporter says Clinton getting desperate

Paterson disagrees with Clinton over Florida and Michigan.
Paterson disagrees with Clinton over Florida and Michigan.

(CNN) – New York Gov. David Paterson, a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, said Friday the New York senator is showing signs of "desperation" in her continued push to get the full delegations of Michigan and Florida seated.

"I would say at this point we're starting to see a little desperation on the part of the woman who I support and I'll support until whatever time she makes a different determination," Paterson told New York radio station WAMC, according to the New York Daily News. "I thought she was the best candidate and I thought she had the best chance of winning."

The comments come a day after Clinton delivered a fiery speech in Florida demanding that that state's delegation, as well as Michigan's, be fully seated at the party's convention in August. The party stripped both states of their delegations last year after the state legislatures there voted to hold their primaries before February 5.

Clinton won both states' primaries, though Barack Obama removed his name from the ballot in Michigan. Clinton uses popular vote totals from both Florida in Michigan in her claim that she is beating the Illinois senator in the overall popular vote.

“I have heard some say counting Florida and Michigan would be changing the rules,” she said at a rally in Boca Raton. “I say not that not counting Florida and Michigan is changing a central governing rule of this country, that whenever we can understand the clear intent of the voters, their vote should be counted.”

Paterson, a Democratic superdelegate, said he disagreed with the party's initial decision to penalize the states, but added he thought the party should now "leave it where it is."

He also noted none of the presidential candidates - including Hillary Clinton - objected to the penalty when it was imposed last year.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jason

Like the rest of us, Patterson can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

May 22, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  2. Darryl

Well, isn't that surprising. Gee is he included in that 92% that is for Obama on the "issues".

May 22, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  3. JJ

Well at least some of her supporters at the top are now realizing what she's doing. Desperate is the key word here. She is puliing out all the stops and I really hope that she will stop after June.

May 22, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  4. christine

I agree – does anyone besides Clinton folks believe their own bull? Her campaign's reasoning is completely nuts!

May 22, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  5. Real Feminist

"Desperate" doesn't begin to describe it...

The once inevitable nominee has been bested and cannot accept it...

May 22, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  6. Mike

I noticed the deperation too recently... She has been desperate since she realized she was running against other people.

May 22, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  7. Joe - Wilmington, DE

Twisting the truth - that is what Hillary does so well.

In so many words even her backers, the ones with brains, are telling her it's time to stop.

May 22, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  8. Chuck, Democrats United We Stand

One of the smartest comments I have seen come from anyone in a long time. Petterson is dead on with his comments and thank you for stating so publically.

May 22, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  9. Terrence (Winston Salem, NC)

She is desperate. If they are seated "just the way they voted", then what are the rules for?

There has to be some kind of punishment.

May 22, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. Bridgette-PA

He just noticed?! Well, better late than never. Hopefully, he can get the other supporters to see the obvious too!

OBAMA-08!

May 22, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  11. Deb

I know that what I witnessed in our "Texas Two Step" was horrifying!

What happened wasn't close to meeting election laws and it was not democratic!

It is why I know that Obama and his thugs have stolen this Primary season.

The fact that they ended up with more delegates then possible is the sure proof of "Funny" business.

I will never vote for a cheater!

May 22, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. AJ, IL

Notice the following two sentences that Patterson spoke:

He says he is still supporting her but used past tense in describing her candidacy now. Patterson show have said 'I THINK', not "I THOUGHT"!

It's okay Patterson. We know you want to support Obama.

Obama in 08!

May 22, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  13. Paul In Seattle

Clinton agreed to the arrangement. Obama took his name off the ballot in Michigan. Neither gave speeches in Florida.

Saying that you "won" in Michigan is ridiculous. That's like having an illegal street race where one driver pulls out cause he knows it's wrong, but then the other keeps going, claiming a victory in a race that wasn't even valid, against an opponent that didn't even race.

But hey, at least you won in West Virginia right? That means you'll be President, doesn't it. Time to bow out gracefully and endorse Obama.

Democrat '08

May 22, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  14. Mike in Columbus

Getting?... um, think you mean "Has been since Super-Tuesday"

May 22, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  15. JT

Rule-breaking for HER benefit. Not our country's. Desperation indeed.

May 22, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  16. White Woman FROM FLA supporting Obama

Did any of you think that many people who want to vote for obama didn't go to the polls .. did any of you think that there was a realestate thing on the ballot in FLA at the time. and that why there was big turn out.. C'mon .. she desprate and backstabbing the democratic party..

May 22, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  17. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

EVEN THE BLING GOVERNOR CAN see WHAT HILLARY IS DOING!

May 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  18. Ann

I don't think she's desperate....I think she expects to get what is rightfully hers. Obama is not President material...and he CANNOT win against McCain....Obama cannot hold a candle to Hillary Clinton. She's brighter, more experience, and has more integrity than Wright's right hand man, Obama. The very fact that he is already looking for a running mate...he hasn't even gotten the nomination and he probably won't...by the grace of God...God Bless America.....Hillary 08

May 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  19. cnn loves hillary

–wow,

what took him so long to notice that?

she is worst than bush..

only fools would vote for someone who said yes to war, only fools.

May 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  20. Independent for Obama

Well, I appreciate the fact that Patterson is sticking by Clinton, but at the same time presenting a fair view of where the nomination is headed. I think he should be commended for his loyalty, even though it is apparent to him that it is only a matter of time before Obama is the nominee.

And I hope his eye is better after the surgery!!

May 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  21. Truth

I thank God for giving this man the true honesty to say that. "No one objecting to it.". I also agree that the 2 states should not be seated for their lack of character to the rules. If they change the rules for Hillary what message does that send to our country and to the world!

May 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  22. AK

He is cheating again.

May 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  23. Elly

Hillary does not have the dignity or integrity, or concern for her party to
    gracefully exit this race even with the odds stacked against her
    She is so self absorbed she would rather tear the party down until it becomes so devisive a democrat will never win in the fall
    The media keep putting her up on some pedestal and tearing Barack Obama down at every chance they get
    Well guess what *hes still standing* and ahead
    the only way they the Clintons will win this is to cheat lie and steal!!!
    how any American can vote for them in good conscience is beyond my comprehension
    Obama will walk to the white house with his negatives in a suitcase
    The clintons would need a moving van for theirs
    you stay strong Senator Obama you have *good energy* on your side

May 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  24. R.I.F.

I'm sure about 95% of the top democrats agree 100% with the Patterson. It's just that Clinton and her bullies have to be treated delicately unfortunately since she's so childish.

May 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  25. Really?

Even a blind guy can see it!

May 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |