May 23rd, 2008

Supporter says Clinton getting desperate

Paterson disagrees with Clinton over Florida and Michigan.
Paterson disagrees with Clinton over Florida and Michigan.

(CNN) – New York Gov. David Paterson, a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, said Friday the New York senator is showing signs of "desperation" in her continued push to get the full delegations of Michigan and Florida seated.

"I would say at this point we're starting to see a little desperation on the part of the woman who I support and I'll support until whatever time she makes a different determination," Paterson told New York radio station WAMC, according to the New York Daily News. "I thought she was the best candidate and I thought she had the best chance of winning."

The comments come a day after Clinton delivered a fiery speech in Florida demanding that that state's delegation, as well as Michigan's, be fully seated at the party's convention in August. The party stripped both states of their delegations last year after the state legislatures there voted to hold their primaries before February 5.

Clinton won both states' primaries, though Barack Obama removed his name from the ballot in Michigan. Clinton uses popular vote totals from both Florida in Michigan in her claim that she is beating the Illinois senator in the overall popular vote.

“I have heard some say counting Florida and Michigan would be changing the rules,” she said at a rally in Boca Raton. “I say not that not counting Florida and Michigan is changing a central governing rule of this country, that whenever we can understand the clear intent of the voters, their vote should be counted.”

Paterson, a Democratic superdelegate, said he disagreed with the party's initial decision to penalize the states, but added he thought the party should now "leave it where it is."

He also noted none of the presidential candidates - including Hillary Clinton - objected to the penalty when it was imposed last year.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Nancy

If the shoe were on the other foot (Obama trailing), then she would be screaming that he should follow the rules that were set by the DNC. She can't change the rules just to make herself win. It's disgusting!

May 22, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  2. NO-BAMA

Please...

PATTERSON – this liar & cheater has the nerve to talk.

He doesn't even know which way he is looking.

What's wrong Patterson...afraid you'll lose your APPOINTED governor's job ???

KEEP FIGHTING 4 US HILLARY !

May 22, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. JoAnn

I too believe Clinton is showing desperation. Its time to give it up. Admit is just isnt going to happen.

May 22, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  4. James, SC

Even a blind man can see through this behavior of Hillary; and he is a supporter!

May 22, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  5. Justice

Say what you want, it still will NOT make Obama a winner in November!

Clinton's campaign did suffer from Mark Penn's lack of attention at the start. However, this does not change the fact that OBAMA IS UNELECTABLE.

I guess the loser is the Democratic party in general. They have squandered their best chance at the presidency, and they only have themselves to blame.

It is unfortunate for the people that do need reforms in our government. BUT I will not let this be a deterrent to voting for the better qualified candidate. Between Obama and McCain... there is no choice! McCain will prevail. Only Hillary can win against him.

May 22, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  6. David, Silver Spring, MD

What I don't get is why people who want to see these votes counted don't acknowledge that those votes are not a fair representation of the will of the people of those states.

In both Michigan and Florida, good Democrats stayed home or did not indicate a preference for nominee specifically because they were told that their states delegates would not be seated. Why is Hillary Clinton so willing to disregard them? They did nothing wrong and were fully abiding by the rules of their Party in not casting their votes. Is she just saying to them, "Too bad, so sad."?

Try this on for size: A rumor sweeps through the state–show up at the local library on Saturday and cast a vote for President. A bunch of people do. The event isn't sanctioned by the government. There's no legal validity to the event. But after the fact, the "candidate" who got the most "votes" starts making noise that those "votes" must be counted and "the will of the people" must be respected. If we can turn any event into an election after the fact, heaven help our democracy.

May 22, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  7. Democrat for Hillary or McCain

If you want to make a Kerry reference, then Obama fits the bill.

Kerry was weak and his wife was appealing as a first lady.

Just like Obama!

May 22, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  8. Robert Bauer, Sonoma County, CA

Getting desperate? Her entire campaign has been an exercise in desperation and futility since Iowa.

May 22, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  9. Mary

I just came back from a parallel universe where Hillary was in the lead and laughing at the notion of allowing FL & MI.

She kept on saying, my opponent is desperate. He wants to change the rules AGAIN. How can we now change the rules at this late stage in the game? My opponent agreed to these rules in 2007. We need a president that abides by the rules.

The point is, would Hillary fight this hard if FL & MI would benefit Obama?

Can we call this more SNIPER FIRE and call it a day?

May 22, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  10. michigan dem.

As a Democrat that has lived in MI all my life, all I can say is that it was the state democrats own bloody fault for this mess. They knew there was a price to pay for changing the date of the primary. What irks me most, is that Hillary KNEW what would happen if they held the new primary. We were disenfranchised by the Democratic Gov. and House, not, by the national Democratic party. Do not patronize me with platitudes and bovine excrement, Hillary. I know who to blame and who is taking advantage of me -again!

May 22, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  11. Brian

MonaP

Vote for McCain and watch your right to choose disappear all because you're a sore loser...that's brilliant.

May 22, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. Sigh

Her real job now is to kill the distain that her suporters have for Obama, and make this about a batle of political parties instead of Hillary v Barack.

Taking this decision from disagreement to a battle of distain has been the biggest wound in this whole process.

For her to 'win' now, and have the superdels go against the del majority would not only rip a hole in the dem party, but just kill any hope people had for the Dems to change the country.

You can always run again in 2016 Sen. Clinton.

May 22, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  13. Kate, ex-GOP

I am so CONFUSED!

Hillary supporters say things like "Every vote should be counted including those in Florida and Michigan."

But when she counts her votes, she leaves out caucuses. I guess the only votes that should be counted are those cast for her in states that aren't Iowa, Texas (kind of), Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, North Dakota, Nevada, Nebraska, Washington, Maine, and Wyoming. But according to Hillary supporters like BIG ROD ("Obama took this nomination by winning all of the wrong states"). Fine job, citizens.

"Senator Clinton cares about all Americans and voters." Sorry MAI, but she has proven time and again that she only cares about herself and the amount of power she has.

I voted for Bush, and I'll not make the Republican mistake this time around. Nor will I support a grasping woman just because we're the same sex. I'm a convert.

Obama/Gore '08

May 22, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  14. jaylo

Clinton is campaigning on counting every single vote. But also that every Democratic delegate should be focused on who can win in November.

Obama is campaign on disenfranchising voters so he can win, regardless of whether he's got the strongest case for November, which he does not.

May 22, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  15. Mary H

I think the votes should be counted the way they were voted. What are they afraid of? I guess they want the republician party to win again in November.

May 22, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  16. Maria

As a democrat who will be voting for McCain in Nov. if Obama is the nominee for the democrats – those who speak about loyalty to the "party" should realize that our loyalties should first and foremost be to the USA – and if we think the party has chosen a candidate who will be incapable of leading this country nationally and interantionally and will cause it harm, we have the MORAL duty to vote for the candidate who we think is better. As a BA (summ cum laude international studies), JD (magna cum laude) and MSed (4.0 gpa) who has worked jobs from waitress to attorney, who is only a few years younger than Obama, I think a vote for Obama is a vote for a return to the Carter era in US history – something I am not willing to live through again.

May 22, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  17. Jay

At first I thought they should just give her what she wants, because this appears to be her last desperate play, following the gender/race/general victim card. However, after thinking about it, even if they give her what she wants, she's still behind, so they'll just find some other 'injustice' to gripe about and further the cause of McBush in the process. Get her off the scene now, before she does damage that won't be undone quickly.

May 22, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  18. chisom

Gov. Patterson thank you. I mean, coming from the governor of your state??, It can't be worse. How it feel if the DNC ignorantly concede to Hilliar's silly claim, and make her the dem's nominee when she is behind in, 1) Number of STATES won, 2) Number of Popular Votes, 3) Number of Pledged delegates, and now 4) Number of Supers. What is she thinking?

May 22, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  19. Nile

To all concerned parties:

Ms. Hillary & Mr. Bill - it is time to get off your platform box for the good of the Democratic Party . . .

America and the World are watching . . . .

May 22, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  20. TGTGUY

Hillary, even your own people are saying enough. Uncle. Thanks for playing in this little experiment called Democracy. This is a country founded on rules and people following the rules. That is the beautiful thing about a democracy, the rules can be changed. But not during the game. It would be like if the NBA got rid of the 3 point shot or the dunk during a game because one team was better at it than the other. I truely feel for the people of FL & MI but to fix the problem, they need to change their state leaderhip. They are the ones who made the choice. Sue them not the DNC. Welcome to this experiment called Democracy. And if you are wondering, I am not a Obama supportor. He scares the hell out of me, but so does Clinton. That is why I supported Edwards.

May 22, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  21. NO OBAMA

Thank you Cris in California.......I hope you speak up more often. It's Clinton or McCain for me also. I feel the DNC are traitors to this country.

May 22, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  22. Telling it like it is !!!!!

Hillary schould have been BOWED OUT gracefuly !!!!!!

She is selfish !!!!!! If she can't be the captain of the ship, she would rather sink it.

And for Anybody to say that they will vote for McCain over Obama.........
    they are just as raciest as ever !!!!!!

If the favor was pionting toward Hillary (sorry, but it NOT ) I would have voted for her.

Anybody who vote for McCain........ has a mind issue !!!!!!!!!

May 22, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  23. hmmmmm.....sounds fishy

Has anyone else noticed that most these fairweather democrats are emotional woman who are jusr angry for the sake of being angry.......I'll tell you what that if Obama loses......we won't see another female candidate for a long while........guaranteed.....people have seen this crap.....we have watched it play out like an episode of Jerry Springer......and the black man wasn't the star this time.....she has ruined it for woman from my eyes........"Theres No Crying in Baseball".....and for all the fighting that she has done; it has been too little too late

May 22, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  24. Jim

I will be writing in Hillary Clinton, not because of Bill, not because of any distraction. Since when is not giving up considered desperate?

May 22, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  25. rladdi

How does he know? He's been ill.

May 22, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |