May 23rd, 2008

Supporter says Clinton getting desperate

Paterson disagrees with Clinton over Florida and Michigan.
Paterson disagrees with Clinton over Florida and Michigan.

(CNN) – New York Gov. David Paterson, a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, said Friday the New York senator is showing signs of "desperation" in her continued push to get the full delegations of Michigan and Florida seated.

"I would say at this point we're starting to see a little desperation on the part of the woman who I support and I'll support until whatever time she makes a different determination," Paterson told New York radio station WAMC, according to the New York Daily News. "I thought she was the best candidate and I thought she had the best chance of winning."

The comments come a day after Clinton delivered a fiery speech in Florida demanding that that state's delegation, as well as Michigan's, be fully seated at the party's convention in August. The party stripped both states of their delegations last year after the state legislatures there voted to hold their primaries before February 5.

Clinton won both states' primaries, though Barack Obama removed his name from the ballot in Michigan. Clinton uses popular vote totals from both Florida in Michigan in her claim that she is beating the Illinois senator in the overall popular vote.

“I have heard some say counting Florida and Michigan would be changing the rules,” she said at a rally in Boca Raton. “I say not that not counting Florida and Michigan is changing a central governing rule of this country, that whenever we can understand the clear intent of the voters, their vote should be counted.”

Paterson, a Democratic superdelegate, said he disagreed with the party's initial decision to penalize the states, but added he thought the party should now "leave it where it is."

He also noted none of the presidential candidates - including Hillary Clinton - objected to the penalty when it was imposed last year.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. hakeemsdad, Florida

Why is she doing this?
    To bring more problems to the already divided democratic party.
    What is your goal? Is it to give Billary the nomination even though you and everyone know that she signed and approved both Michigan and Florida shouldn't be counted?

I guess you will continue to BS until she is the nominee.

Just think about everything happened during this primary season and ask yourself:
    What did Obama do to upset Billary supporters?
    Why is this much hatred against him?
    Did Obama make the rules?
    Did he force Billary to agree on MI and FL issues earlier?
    How is it fair to even mention that Billary won MI?
    Why is she a victim of gender knowing that more than %56 percent of the democratic voters were in fact women?(many of whom supported Obama )
    Why is it that only the states she wins are important?
    Do you really think Billary will win Florida knowing Christ is the governor? (I don't)
    Do you still think the election results will be similar to the previous two?
    What about the possibilities that Obama will win many old days Republican states? (Georgia, Alabama, Virginia, etc)

And finally, you claim that she was treated unfairly but your majority says she attacked Obama unfairly on the polls but then you voted for her (See Kentucky and W. Virginia polls!). What a contradiction? Do you really know what you want or what is best for the democratic party/this country?

I don't believe so, since more than half of you would support the Republican values then your own (your Clinton desire, just like hers, made you deaf and blind). I forgot maybe you don't have any!

See the reality, be fair and honest.
    Good luck with your decision "whatever she may be"

May 22, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  2. Tommy

She is shamelessly desperate! Pitiful really!

May 22, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  3. Mike

McAuliffe created this mess and now Hillary needs this to be undone to rob the nomination. She has a problem with it now because she is losing if she was winning she would not care if they were seated. The person we need to fix this country is OBAMA. Her is the only candidate left that is not in corporate americas pocket other than Nader. This country needs a fresh start. OBAMA '08 '12

May 22, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  4. kentucky

Florida and Michigan should get a revote. Their so called leaders who pushed up their primaries should be out of office. Wonder why Obama took his name off the ballot in Michigan? Did he know he wouldn't win? If Clinton gets robbed of the nomination I'm voting for McCain.

May 22, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  5. Liz in SD

Tell me SD's - how does allowing Clinton to de-legitimize Senator Obama's nomination help the Dems in Nov??? You people are clearly not leaders. You're allowing the Clinton's to hold our party hostage. We will not forget.

May 22, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  6. Mary

Darryl, you are ridiculous. Governor Patterson has been one of her biggest supporters. I bet you are one of those people who complains that people call you racist for not supporting Obama. But look at you... anyone that doesn't support the scheming and manipulationg by Clinton must be pigeon holed into some demeaning characterization.

May 22, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  7. Real Change

What's so desperate...makes since to me.

1) Count Florida and Michigan (even though you yourself said they shouldn't count, and there was no campaign there, and Barack was not even on the ballot in one of them)
    2) Through out Maine, Nevada, Iowa and Washington (even though they did play by the rules)
    3) Count Puerto Rico (even though they can't vote in the general)
    4) Then completely arbitrarily use "popular vote" instead of delegate count to determine the winner.

Uh...I dunno, I guess so. Makes since to me.

May 22, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  8. Mookie

I find myself immediately changing the channel whenever Clinton or her cronies spout the inevitable "I/she received more votes than any other candidate" drivel. I guess we know where the adage "rules were meant to be broken" comes from!

May 22, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  9. Jim

Ann, keep on telling your self Hilary is smarter, more experienced
    and ready to govern from day one. Eventually, if you say it long enough,
    you will believe it; and at the end, it does not mean a thing. The people have spoken, and they just do not want a liar in the White house.

May 22, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  10. TG

I guess Hillary Clinton is desperate enough to get the Florida and Michigan votes counted, since she needs every chance she can get...so ok, we should seat both delegations: Florida by Hillary & Obama's share, and Michigan by dividing up the delegates evenly, since Obama's name wasn't on the ballot. If the two states had abided by party rules in the first place we wouldn't have this problem but that's a moot point now.

Even if you did it that way Obama would still be ahead...so I don't know how reinventing the math or saying 'I'm more electable' would help her at all

Interesting to note that Patterson seems to be changing his mind about Hillary since he said he thought she was the best candidate even as he says he supports her! I guess the superdelegates will get knocked off the fence come June 3 so we can end this thing. It's gone on too long enough! That being said, we'll probably go all the way to the convention on this one...

May 22, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  11. Louis

I can see another party-switcher like Bill Richardson.

Good to know, because when Hillary secures any sort of political nomination. These people can be counted 'OUT'.

May 22, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  12. Rob K

Governor Paterson's last comment is most telling to me. Sen. Clinton AGREED to the rules that the DNC is using now, AGREED to sanction FL and MI, and AGREED to the delegate portioning plan at the beginning of the process. Every candidate signed off on it. Every candidate said "This is our primary, and these are the rules we will follow." Trying to slam these rules now with fiery rhetoric is simply absurd.

Nobody cheated you, Senator Clinton...except maybe your own, inept campaign strategists and fundraisers. You had a good campaign, and by all means, make history by finishing off these primaries. But, you're going to lose. It's o.k. Sometimes you put in the best fight that you can, but you just don't get enough to win.

I've respected your service, and your husband's service, for many years. I look forward to your support for Sen. Obama once he reaches the requisite number of delegates. I also hope to hear many more fiery speeches with the theme "We are Democrats". I look forward to you uniting the party for the nominee when the nominee ISN'T you in the same way YOU would expect the 2nd place finisher to unite the party for YOU.

May 22, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  13. Mike

Hillary needs to step down before she hurts the party even more. Even IF somehow she gets to have Florida and Michigan to count (which she won't) how many Obama/democracy supports will go vote for McCain or no one at all if she snakes her way to a nomination? I for one will be absolutely livid if she snakes her way in there somehow and refuse to give her my vote...

May 22, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  14. Less, Austin Tx

Just starting to see the desperation? I've seen that look on her face for months now.

Hillary is a spoiled brat. Oh yeah she cares about the American people, causing chaos among the Democratic party.

She has obivously lost the meaning of what "Standing Up For the American People" is all about. She's all about, "I...", and "Me..." (meaning herself), and not "we".

This was her first verbal expression that I quickly caught, and because of this obvious verbal expression from the beginning, being about "herself", was why I chose to support Obama, who has obiviously been for "We" from the very beginning.

Someone needs to put Hillary in "Time-Out" so she can have some time to think about what she is doing. Shameful!!

May 22, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  15. Jack

As a moderate Hillary supporter, even I was really surprised to see her statement in Florida.

I think the game is over and Obama is our nominee. Obama is not that bad anyway. I am happy for him as well.

May 22, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  16. Mike

McAuliffe created this mess and now Hillary needs this to be undone to rob the nomination. She has a problem with it now because she is losing if she was winning she would not care if they were seated. The person we need to fix this country is OBAMA. He is the only candidate left that is not in corporate americas pocket other than Nader. This country needs a fresh start. OBAMA '08 '12

May 22, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  17. James Nelson

Ann– "she expects to get what is rightfully hers..."

Sad news...It's a democracy, Ann. Not a hereditary monarchy. Nothing is "rightfully" hers unless the voters say so and they have thus far indicated that she is not their chosen representative.

Given the tremendous name recognition, the sizable war chest and all the endorsements from Party bigwigs, she should've been a shoo-in. But she mismanaged her campaign, made strategic error after strategic error and now is running 30 some-odd million bucks in the red. She blew it. All on her own, her own responsibility. She just blew it.

We've already suffered enough under leaders able to turn success into disaster, we don't need her to continue the trend.

May 22, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  18. Steve

I love all the comments like Deb's above where an agreed upon election process took place and didn't go Hillary's way, so Obama is a "thug." You over-the-Hillarys are acting like your candidate.

May 22, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  19. sweetC

Hillary now thinks she can pressure Obama into making her his running mate by playing her last card, 1rst race, 2nd feminist last and 3rd., sympathy!!!! If he is smart he will emphatically reject the notion.

May 22, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  20. James

The DNC changed the rules not Hillary nor Florida and Michigan and the rules they changed just happen to be our consitutional right that garanties all Americans right to vote and have their votes counted entirely!
    So when are you Obamawama people going to stop following him blindly and open yours to what's happening in our country with this DNC dictatorship? Probably after he loses!

May 22, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  21. Nita

she is up to something and it ain't good, that's for sure...

May 22, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  22. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

Glad to hear that at least one Clinton supporter is honest about what is going on. The others seem very delusional and ICKES is at the top of that list. If Queen Hillary does somehow manage to pull this off, I will be staying home. I'm not a loyal Dem, who will just fall in line behind Billary and vote for her. Obama has won in every category. If this is now taken from him, I bet there will be quite a backlash.

May 22, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  23. Linned

As my grandma used to say tell the truth and shame the devil,

May 22, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  24. Former Hillary supporter

Hillary, I no longer have respect for you, every day goes by and you still there, it shows me how selfish you are, if you cared why did not you spoke about from the beginning, this is just a typical old politics.

May 22, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  25. Randy - Denver

For those of you who have missed civics instrution while attending school please allow me to point out the comment above is a LIE!

We are NOT a Democracy where every vote counts we are a Representative Republic. basically what this means is that while in a Democracy the majority rules (see mobs) in a Republic a few are Selected to represent the will of the Majority when they feel it is correct and proper and ot refute the will when they feel the majority is wrong. THAT is what a representative of the people is supposed to do. THAT is what a President is supposed to do!

how can you run for POTUS when oyu have no idea of the basic principles of our country?

Let me but it easier for those of you who STILL do not get it. Our Representatives can ASK for your input but it is NOT required that they follow it.

A final comment about this LIE the SELECTION process for a PARTY is NOT covered in the Constitution and you have NO RIGHT to have a say in who is selected by the party exxcept for the rights the party grants you. they could draw a name from a hat and it would be just as legal and binding as the selection process we are forced to suffer thorugh every 3 years (I know you would think 4 years but they go on SOOO LONG!)

May 22, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |