May 23rd, 2008

Supporter says Clinton getting desperate

Paterson disagrees with Clinton over Florida and Michigan.
Paterson disagrees with Clinton over Florida and Michigan.

(CNN) – New York Gov. David Paterson, a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, said Friday the New York senator is showing signs of "desperation" in her continued push to get the full delegations of Michigan and Florida seated.

"I would say at this point we're starting to see a little desperation on the part of the woman who I support and I'll support until whatever time she makes a different determination," Paterson told New York radio station WAMC, according to the New York Daily News. "I thought she was the best candidate and I thought she had the best chance of winning."

The comments come a day after Clinton delivered a fiery speech in Florida demanding that that state's delegation, as well as Michigan's, be fully seated at the party's convention in August. The party stripped both states of their delegations last year after the state legislatures there voted to hold their primaries before February 5.

Clinton won both states' primaries, though Barack Obama removed his name from the ballot in Michigan. Clinton uses popular vote totals from both Florida in Michigan in her claim that she is beating the Illinois senator in the overall popular vote.

“I have heard some say counting Florida and Michigan would be changing the rules,” she said at a rally in Boca Raton. “I say not that not counting Florida and Michigan is changing a central governing rule of this country, that whenever we can understand the clear intent of the voters, their vote should be counted.”

Paterson, a Democratic superdelegate, said he disagreed with the party's initial decision to penalize the states, but added he thought the party should now "leave it where it is."

He also noted none of the presidential candidates - including Hillary Clinton - objected to the penalty when it was imposed last year.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Michael

The Obama people seem more concerned about taking the nomination from Hillary than they are about Obama winning in November which makes me question the agenda of those writing on this blog and those who are voting for Obama. Hillary is consistently shown in poll after poll to beat McCain in the swing states democrats must win in November, yet, these Obama people still hate her. I find that suspicious.

May 22, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  2. The Oracle

I've noticed after talking to some people in FL., and MI, that most of them understand it was teir senate and not Obama that messed them up. They also know that Clinton didn't care until she needed them. And thats from some that support her. I also hear Obama would have won Mich.

May 22, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  3. Trollmaster

If Hillary truly cared about MI and FL, she would have demanded they change the rules BEFORE the election, not now when she's losing.

May 22, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  4. Terry

Hillary you are the best but the media and government doesn't want you. So they are force feeding us Obama.
    I will write Hillary on my vote in November just like alot of people will. Obama will no way win in November.
    Most of all Hillary supporters will write her name in or vote Mc Cain.
    The End

May 22, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  5. Chris, Silicon Valley, CA, USA

The party of illegal immigration & amnesty.
    Since when do Dems care about rules?

May 22, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  6. lugina

HILLARY I LOVE YOU..!!!!

HILLARY 08!!!

May 22, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  7. M.C.

Hillary is fighting for the voters of Florida who were FORCED to move up their election, because of the dictation of the Republican controlled state legislature in Florida. People, check this yourselves. New polls today: Hillary will easily beat McCain in Ohio and Florida-Obama would not. Please don't think that Obama has Virginia or North Carolina in play. He can win no states that Hillary can't also win. Superdelegates: Do you really want a Democrat in the White House? HILLARY 08

May 22, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  8. Montana is Obama Country

Hillary is willing to disenfranchise ALL othre VOTES across Amreica for her own giddy -knee-slapping -over-zealous -self righteous quest to be the president.

I believe to be a good president a person needs to show some "humility" and "strength"..

Well she sure is humiliting those who have been supporters.. She needs to take the high road and leave after the last primary in June.

May 22, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  9. Jill

Don't any of her political supporters (including the gov.) have enough sway to tell her that she is making a fool of herself? Every day it's worse...she's starting to look scary. Someone, please lead her away to a quiet secluded place for a few months.

May 22, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  10. rudy

see, even a blind man can see that hillary is desperate. when will she give up??

May 22, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  11. Sarah

Good bye Hillary, go away, dishonest woman. OBAMA 08'

May 22, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  12. Pam

Wow, a Hillary supporter showing reason. How refreshing.

May 22, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  13. Concerned

As DNC chairman, McAuliffe wrote about threatening to strip Michigan of 50% of its delegates if it moved up its date. Bill Clinton has also called a 50% penalty “appropriate.”

Ickes sits on the committee and last year voted to strip Florida of its delegates.

May 22, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  14. deroy

is this a 48 state union or as oabma says '57 with one to go'.

this will have to be settled by a judge.

15. Jeff

We often hear the expression that "there is time for everything," a time to win and a time to lose and it appears that her time has come to lose this nomination based on the delegate count. This is the only metric that counts in this election and Obama has a commanding lead and so as a leader of integrity, she should gracefully accept it and help the party come together. This is what we expect of good leaders.

16. Kay-Arizona

Situations change. but the bottom line is, why should not ALL democrats be able to pick who they support as the Democratic candidate for President? We let Republicans and independents in some states voice their opinion, why not DEMOCRATS in all the states. The phoney "punishment" because they held their primary to early. Who cares? The DNC and party bosses are the only ones because it allowed them to munipulate the dates.

Were it me, and I was not allowed to voice my opinion I would be outraged as should all Democrats who care.

17. s.b.

She's still the best candidate with the best chance of winning.

Polls of swing states and the electoral college vote clearly show that. Dems either want to win the white house or they don't.

18. rich

Hillary is trying to get paid. She is 20 mil in the whole and counting. She will drop out when she breaks even I guess. As far as she is concerned to hell with he democratic party and winning the white house in November. She has got to recoup her money.

19. Trollmaster

Hillary would have been the nomineee a long time ago if she did the right thing and voted NO on the Iraq war. She only has herself to blame.

Democrats don't need another flip floping "I was for it before I was against it" John Kerry like canidate. They rightuflly chose someone that was smart enough to against the war from the start.

20. bruce

I think that Senator Clinton has every right to pursue any avenue. If you add it up she has been winning since the Wisconsin primary. A lot was learned about Obama after that time and he is probably weaker than her now. What right does anyone say she cannot pursue what she believes in? She has a better perspective on world problems and she should fight on. I think that it should go to the convention. She is going to win Puerto Rico and maybe more. The Florida and Michigan vote are not included now but an authorized settlemnent could be made. The Democratic Party can do what it wants and it is nobodies business but the party. This is not a colllege sporting event. This is our lives.

21. Chris In California

Hillary Clinton is not desperate. The American people are desperate. We are desperate for REAL change that only an EXPERIENCED leader like Hillary Clinton can give us. This country is in a mess and we need someone who is not going to just be learning the ropes when he steps into the Oval Office. We need a President who can get straight to work because she knows what needs to be done to get this country back on the right track from the first day she is in the White House.

Moreover, as a lifelong Democrat, I will not so easily hand over my country to a person who thinks it is all right to exclude the voters of two states in this union to manipulate things so that he can steal an election. The ONLY way I would consider voting for Barack Obama is if the votes of the voters of Michigan and Florida are properly counted and the delegates seated at the convention in the numbers decided BY THE PEOPLE – THE CITIZEN-VOTERS OF THIS COUNTRY who voted in good faith in a Presidential election. It makes no difference to me what Howard Dean or the DNC says. The votes of The People should not be tampered with. Moreover, if I see my November ballot and Hillary Clinton's name is not on it, I will either WRITE-IN her name in the WRITE-IN section of the ballot or I will vote Republican.

Wherever Hillary Clinton's name is, so goes my vote!

I would also like to express that I am so dismayed with the way Hillary Clinton has been treated in this election. I thought misogyny was long dead, but it is not. It is a thriving entity and men in the media are getting away with it as are some politicians – even Democrats. It is the FIRST TIME as a lifelong Democrat that I have ever thought about leaving the Democratic Party. I just think what has happened has been unacceptable.

22. MonaP

She is desperate all right – desperate to save the Democratic Party from itself with the sure loser it is trying to nominate. Hey folks there are 50 states despite what BO thinks – and each state deserves to have it's votes counted – if that is desperate – then so be it!

Look at the Electoral College – BO doesn't stand a chance – Clinton is the true winner there. The whole caucus thing was a desperate move by the left-wing of the Democratic party to have their puppet nominated.

As a middle-of-the-road life long Democrat I am appalled. I'm voting McCain if Clinton doesn't get the nod – voting for the left wing is as bad as voting for the Republican right!

23. Big Rod

The super delegates are between a rock and a hard place. they are compelled to go with Obama and lose the general election. Snub Florida and Michigan VOTERS and lose the general election. Snub 17 million Hillary supporters and lose the general election. Go ahead, all of you Obama supporters, beat your chest, herald your too far left leaning candidate as the presumptive nominee. Obama took this nomination by winning all of the wrong states, by getting votes from independants and republicans who crossed into the dem's primary to vote against Hillary in those republican states. Argue to me she did not win in the democratic States' primaries and all the crucial swing state primaries. Argue to me she has not already won more Registered DEMOCRATS' votes. Hillary should be the Democratic nominee for President. THAT is why she's not backing off or backing down. Look at an ELECTORAL MAP before its too late. THAT is why she's not backing off or backing down.

24. lap

madou sick, common boi, desperate is the RIGHT word. she won the two states without an opponent? mother flip. if i were to hillary, i should make a graceful exit and support OBAMA and the party. BILL ur time is up, hoping u know/understand whats going on. LOOK AT THE NUMBER.

25. Jeff

Why didn't Hillary object to the Michigan and Florida sanctions from the beginning when her protests might have made a difference if she really believed in her voting rights argument? After all it was just as "undemocratic" then as it is now. If she really believed what she is now saying she should have declared that she didn't accept the DNC position and that she intended to count all votes cast for her and fight for all delegates.At least then the other candidates would have been put on notice that Florida and Michigan may be put back into play.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17