May 23rd, 2008
1 year ago

Supporter says Clinton getting desperate

Paterson disagrees with Clinton over Florida and Michigan.
Paterson disagrees with Clinton over Florida and Michigan.

(CNN) – New York Gov. David Paterson, a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, said Friday the New York senator is showing signs of "desperation" in her continued push to get the full delegations of Michigan and Florida seated.

"I would say at this point we're starting to see a little desperation on the part of the woman who I support and I'll support until whatever time she makes a different determination," Paterson told New York radio station WAMC, according to the New York Daily News. "I thought she was the best candidate and I thought she had the best chance of winning."

The comments come a day after Clinton delivered a fiery speech in Florida demanding that that state's delegation, as well as Michigan's, be fully seated at the party's convention in August. The party stripped both states of their delegations last year after the state legislatures there voted to hold their primaries before February 5.

Clinton won both states' primaries, though Barack Obama removed his name from the ballot in Michigan. Clinton uses popular vote totals from both Florida in Michigan in her claim that she is beating the Illinois senator in the overall popular vote.

“I have heard some say counting Florida and Michigan would be changing the rules,” she said at a rally in Boca Raton. “I say not that not counting Florida and Michigan is changing a central governing rule of this country, that whenever we can understand the clear intent of the voters, their vote should be counted.”

Paterson, a Democratic superdelegate, said he disagreed with the party's initial decision to penalize the states, but added he thought the party should now "leave it where it is."

He also noted none of the presidential candidates - including Hillary Clinton - objected to the penalty when it was imposed last year.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. mike

The last sentence says it all. None of the candidates, including Hillary
    objected to the rules which disqualified MI and FL votes. Nothing more to say.

May 22, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  2. Gloria

Deb, I too participated in our Texas two-step process. However, just because Texas has a screwed up process is no reason to blame it on Senator Obama. I suspect that your choice of candidate is the one that is behind, right?

She wanted to participate in the process; she has; and now she has lost. If you want to compete in the big leagues, part of that is accepting defeat gracefully!!

May 22, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  3. CJ

I'm glad this man has said something.

May 22, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  4. Matt

Whatever Deb. I voted in the "Texas Two Step" and saw no funny business except by Hillary supporters. After waiting for 2 hours I was told I was at the wrong precinct by a Clinton supporter and was not allowed to vote (even though I had the card to prove I was in the right place). Another Hillary Supporter took down names of people in line and wrote down their votes for them (all for Hillary in a precinct heavy for Obama). Some of the numbers were called and it was confirmed most of those people were for Obama and their vote had been changed. This was published in the paper. Even with cheating she was blown out in the Caucus. By the way, the caucus was at night and there was plenty of time to get there after work even for us blue collar people.

I'm sure there is funny business on both sides but Clinton and here supporters seem to get caught red handed on many more occasions.

May 22, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  5. Jen

If she doesn't get her way I bet she files a lawsuit. Her rules or no rules is the game.

May 22, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  6. Pam

Ann May 22nd, 2008 4:56 pm ET

I don't think she's desperate….I think she expects to get what is rightfully hers. Obama is not President material…and he CANNOT win against McCain….Obama cannot hold a candle to Hillary Clinton. She's brighter, more experience, and has more integrity than Wright's right hand man, Obama. The very fact that he is already looking for a running mate…he hasn't even gotten the nomination and he probably won't…by the grace of God…God Bless America…..Hillary 08

What is rightfully hers??? Wow, you Hillary supporters are scary! NOBODY has a RIGHT to the presidency.

May 22, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  7. Kay-Arizona

I think the people sitting in the Obama campaign headquarters office writing these blogs should get back to work.

May 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  8. Elisabeth

Another MAN is talking. It´s time to realize that this nomination is not fair. "Sweeties" are suppressed by media and men.

May 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  9. Concerned

Obama's a sexist, a cheater, and a racist? I'm sure he will enslave white people (Clinton's people) everywhere if he is elected. Does this sum up the fantasy land that some Clinton supporters live in?

May 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  10. David, Silver Spring, MD

Yeah, but he's not from a swing state, so his opinion doesn't count.

May 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  11. Mike in Scranton, PA

And, by the way, I'm still waiting to hear why Obama had his lawyers fight a REVOTE, fair and square and in the height of his popularity a few months ago. It's because his camp did the research and concluded that they would likely lose both states even on a revote AFTER campaigning! A REVOTE in both Michigan and Florida was arranged, at no cost to the taxpayers, and Obama sent his lawyers to quash it - all so his camp could then keep repeating that they were ahead in the popular vote and delegates. What kind of change is that? Send out your lawyers to make your problems go away? Sounds like "sam ol" politicing to me. Way to disenfranchise voters. Hope Democrats pay for that one. Never did I think I would see the DNC go along with leaving voters out like this. No more for me. I'm done with it. I will not only vote for McCain. I will actively campaign for McCain. And I've also changed my registration from lifelong Democrat to unaffiliated.

May 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  12. larry King Live

get a eye's openned up !!!! how lame can NYC get ....

May 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. Diane, NY

Why can't the Democrats and the DNC SEE that this isn't about them...it's all about her. It always has been. If the situation was reversed she would have shown Obama the door a long time ago. Where was all this insistance that votes count back a few months ago....oh that's right....she didn't need the votes then.

I can't believe any intelligent person in Florida really believes Hillary cares about their vote. She and Bill didn't make this huge of a fuss in helping Al Gore out. Why now?

May 22, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  14. jnkekoa

Stay in Hillary, keep fighting, keep lying and making stuff up!!
    We don't want to face any future risk that you will be a national political figure–you are an unprincipled, distasteful, genocidal buffoon who, notwithstanding the "conventional wisdom," is obviously not very intelligent.
    You are as dangerous as George Bush, and probably a better Republican.
    Please, keep on keepin' on and make sure you have not national political future–you may even end up alienating New Yorkers like Gov. Patterson!!
    Please?

May 22, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  15. Terry

Desperate? Come November when Obama loses, her point will be proven that she was the most electable of the two in the November election to be PRESIDENT. The election in November isn't to be NOMINEE. Silly Obama voters fail to think deep on this one and keep thinking that key states and voters don't count in November just their empty box hopefuless. Koolaid drinkers seem to think they will be the only people voting in Nov and Obama will win. Reality check Obama supporters. You're not the only ones voting come November. When your "winner" becomes the "loser" for the contest that counts the most (President) you will only have yourselves to blame for being naive beyond a primary election.

NOBAMA!

Hillary 08!

May 22, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  16. Jay

Hillary is out of control, and her logic is insulting. The intent of the people in Florida and Michigan? Really? Really? You think when a candidate doesn't campaign and takes his name off the ballot that those states reflect an accurate representation? Her logic here is a tremendous turnoff. Tremendous. You have lost, Hillary. You are now breeding enormous resentment.

May 22, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  17. Lucy Windy Chicago, IL

Hillary – please take your medication.

May 22, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  18. Gloria

Senator Dodd said it best...the person she beat in Michigan was him. Everyone knew the rules at the beginning of this process. Only a sore loser would want to change them...especially in her favor. She definitely wouldn't be pushing this hard if the change benefited Senator Obama!!

May 22, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  19. VINCIE

what do you expect from a black. they all voted in a block against clinton, and the gov of new york would to if it wasn't ny.

May 22, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  20. Michael

I will not and never respect any supporter for Hillary Clinton.

May 22, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  21. Bear

Hillary needs to get out and let the party get behind one candidate. She is getting very desperate as she continues to run her campaign into a huge debt of $31M. Do we really want her to be in charge of our National economy??????

May 22, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  22. Gustave ( Germany)

Thank you Petterson to open your mind officialy. She agreed with this decision last year, why the Democratic convention would change the rules now?

May 22, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  23. thetruth

i guess i'm wondering how her agruement has any substance, i mean after all she agreed not to seat FL&MI, now she's saying she's fighting for them??? that makes no sense unless it's desparation.

May 22, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  24. Ramses

Hillary is a victim of bad advise and her sense of entitlement to the presidency. She can not be trusted to tell the american people the truth. Florida and Michigan should be seated based on the punishment for breaking the rules. Anything other than that would be Hillary's desparation attempt to steal this election by any means necessary.

Obama 08'

May 22, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  25. Liza

Is her plan to just take all the delegates from both states and just nuke Obama? What kind of White house would she run?

May 22, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |