May 23rd, 2008

Update: McCain in 'excellent health,' doctor says

Sen. McCain, who turns 72 in August, could become the oldest person elected to a first term as president.

FOUNTAIN HILLS, Arizona (CNN) – - There's no medical reason to prevent Sen. John McCain from being president, the doctor for the presumptive GOP nominee said in a statement the McCain campaign released Friday.

"At the present time, Sen. McCain enjoys excellent health and displays extraordinary energy," said Dr. John D. Eckstein, an internal medicine specialist at the Mayo Clinic who has treated the candidate for 16 years.

"While it is impossible to predict any person's future health, today I can find no medical reason or problems that would preclude Sen. McCain from fulfilling all the duties and obligations of president of the United States."

McCain, who turns 72 in August, would be the oldest person to be elected to a first term as president if he wins in November. He has been treated for skin cancer three times and was a prisoner of war in the Vietnam War for 5½ years.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. USAF Sr. Airman

Wow. If McCain is in excellent health, after reading that article, it sounds like I must be in Super-Human health.

"McCain's cholesterol levels are potentially worrying, Gupta found, but his blood pressure is good.

Heart disease, the leading cause of death in America, could be a risk factor for McCain because of his age and family history, making his blood pressure and cholesterol levels relevant."

But ignore that, he is in excellent health. Oh, and he takes half a dozen medications. Oh, and his father died at 70, but not important.

What this doesn't mention is that he has worn adult diapers for the past 4 years. (Kidding, as far as I know)

May 23, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  2. Wake-Up America

This is a right out fraudalent claim by his doctor. These exams are easily twisted to justify.

May 23, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  3. carrie

GOOD TO KNOW
    I AM FOR OBAMA ALL THE WAY,
    BUT ITS GREAT TO KN OW HE IS WELL.
    JUST WISH WE COULD SAY THE SAME FOR HILLBILLY

May 23, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. Jeff

Well, I'm glad that he's in good physical health, but what about his mental stability? I think his severe mental issues should preclude him from serving as President. At this time in our history possibly more than any other, we do not need an(other?) unstable rage maniac in the White House.

May 23, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. Shon

This is so bogus. There is absolutely no way to know if any information to the contrary has been left out. And honestly, how healthy is a person that has 400 pages of medical records? Let's be for real.

May 23, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  6. Not So Delusional

Ya right. There's been enough presidential medical cover ups in the past to not believe this garbage either. Sorry old man, i'm just not buying it. But apparently you bought some silence from these so called doctors.

I sure hope you pick a decent VP, because he's going to have to take over the office for your old butt in less than 1 term. I guarantee it.

May 23, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  7. JJ

That is Great news!! I would vote for McCain even if he was in a Coma.... NOBAMA.

May 23, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  8. Rave

Good for you Mr. McCain.
    Now step down and vote for Obama

May 23, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  9. Randy - Denver

Well I, for one am glad that his health is good. As an independant I have been supporting Mr. Obam, and will continue to do so. However, if Ms. clinton steals the nomination from Mr. Obama it is nice to know that there will still be someone I can vote for in this election.

For those of you who cannot understand how I can go from Mr. Obama to supporting Mr. McCain I can only say this, I am an independant, I do not believe that ANY candidate will get all the issues they support through congress and past the Supreme Court, that being said I think what you have to look at is general trends and personalities. Mr. Obam and Mr. McCain have struck me as two things, reasonable (on most things) and honorable. While their opinions on certain subjects diverge widely I trust them both to be true to the core idea that they will do their best to see that America is looked after and is strengthened. Ms. Clinton, on the other hand, stirkes me as two things, unreasonable (my way or the highway) and dishonorable. This whole Fl/MI thing has really turned me off on her, her unwillingness to compromise (two weeks ago when they aoffered her a solution to solve the problem in MI and gave her 10 more delegates than Mr. Obama in the compromise and she turned the offer down struck me as someone who is not interested in SOLVING the problem but only in using it to her advantage). So to answer your question how can I support Mr. McCain over Ms. Clinton if I support Mr. Obama. Simple I would rather have an honorable, reasonable enemy than a dishonorable, unreasonable friend, I can deal with those who disagree while being able to discuss their disagreement much better than those, like Ms. Clinton (and bush) who have no ability to compromise and are not trustworthy.

May 23, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  10. Major Michael in Lorton, Virginia

Now, with the medical statement provided, his health should not be a factor in the general election..........but the media will find another venue to explore the weakness of McCain........if not his healh or age.......the will be attacking his policies or positions. No candidate becomes "immune" to the media's scrutiny.

May 23, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  11. F

Did they check for mental capacity?
    This guy is not stable. We will go to War with Iran if this wanna be neo-con becomes President.

May 23, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  12. Rus in St. Paul, MN

Didn't they say Titanic was unsinkable also?

May 23, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  13. Former Hillary supporter

How much did Cindy pay?

May 23, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  14. Paul

What about possible psychological issues??

Important study's have shown that judgment, i.e. the ability to make good decisions, deteriorates with age!

Now im not saying John McCains judgement has or definately will deteriorate, but i am saying that its a possibility!!

Take into account any repercussions of serving in the Vietnam War. (which often effects veterans more in old age)
    I would not be comfortable with this man making final descisions on behalf of the U.S.A.

May 23, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  15. proud army and navy mom

see, this is why Romney is circling mccain like a vulgar, he knows that the old man is about to croak

May 23, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  16. Val

This will hopefully put an end to McCain's age discussion. For 71, he look great!

Now, I do question Obama's inexperience when it comes to the subject of national security. This is a bigger problem then McCain's age.

How about this? On May 18 Obama says that Iran is a "tiny" threat, then two days later on May 20 he says Iran is a "grave" threat. Does this make any sense? Aren't these two statements condradicting each other? Please, I would like some answers. Also, please someone explain to me how Obama's raising taxes will help our economy. This is another subject that Obama has no idea what he is talking about.

May 23, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  17. seah

Where is Obama Medical Records

May 23, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  18. Jeanne, San Diego

It doesn't change my opinion that he's too old and has a real statistical probability of dying in office due to his age.

May 23, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  19. Nia

I'm not a McCain supporter, but I think having to release his medical records was truly unncessary. I think all the candidates should do it. Youth doesn't guarantee good health. Women in seemingly decent health around Hillary's age struggle with heart disease. African American men are 2 too three times more likely to dies from health related issues then thier white counter parts. Point is: they all should have to release thier records.

May 23, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  20. faulpelz

Excellent health? So is my 77 year old grandmother, but she can't get around so good and her eyesight is a lot less than it was a year ago and her mind's a little slower and her driving a car has since stopped and she can't jog or swim laps in the pool or chase men. But she's in excellent health otherwise.

May 23, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  21. Brendose, Oceanside CA

For now........................wait 2 years

May 23, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  22. h in cali

someone needs to evaluate and report on McFossil's mental health.

May 23, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  23. Dr. Truth, Boston

I hope he is well but metastatic melanoma is notoriously hard to detect and can show up at any time.

May 23, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  24. John WA

His father and grandfather died in their 70's of stroke/heart attack. This is more indicitve of his genetic potential then his mother. Being president ages one very quickly and stress increases the risk of stroke and heart attack. He would not be allowed to have a job as a cop, boarder patrol, or join the armed services at this age. HIs hot temper does not help much in prevention as stroke or heart attack either. He is not a wise choice for this office.

May 23, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  25. Linda31

I find that statement misleading. Execellent health for 72 year old maybe, but the body naturally declines as you age.

May 23, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |