May 23rd, 2008

Update: McCain in 'excellent health,' doctor says

Sen. McCain, who turns 72 in August, could become the oldest person elected to a first term as president.

FOUNTAIN HILLS, Arizona (CNN) – - There's no medical reason to prevent Sen. John McCain from being president, the doctor for the presumptive GOP nominee said in a statement the McCain campaign released Friday.

"At the present time, Sen. McCain enjoys excellent health and displays extraordinary energy," said Dr. John D. Eckstein, an internal medicine specialist at the Mayo Clinic who has treated the candidate for 16 years.

"While it is impossible to predict any person's future health, today I can find no medical reason or problems that would preclude Sen. McCain from fulfilling all the duties and obligations of president of the United States."

McCain, who turns 72 in August, would be the oldest person to be elected to a first term as president if he wins in November. He has been treated for skin cancer three times and was a prisoner of war in the Vietnam War for 5½ years.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Jim

Hey, do any of you Obama-bots know if your candidate is still smoking cigs, like he was early last year, when the campaign got started? Those things cause lung cancer, heart disease, chemical dependency, and other nasty things. As a good liberal who knows what's better for others, he should disqualify himself from office if he's still on them.

May 23, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  2. Bill Stapp

How old is "too old" to be president? Is there no upper limit? I'm not talking Constitution here.... I'm talking constitution.

He wants to show us that his medical reports are good... for a guy 72 years old.

I believe in experience and wisdom... but there is good experience and bad experience. Not all young people lack wisdom. Not all old people have it.

Senator McCain takes positions that older people like to take. He wants to have the GI Bill be progressive.... the longer you stay in the military, the more you get. That's great... so if I stay in the military for 15 years, I can get out and go to college at age 35?

I was drafted during the Viet Nam conflict for two years and got full college benefits. Why couldn't he have voted on that bill in the Senate?

He wants to not talk to people who hate us. I tried to teach my children to not hate back.

He wants to diminish his rivals' counsel on military matters. With all of his experience, shouldn't the war be going better by now?

He wants to have a tax holiday on gas this summer... but he doesn't seem to be pushing very hard for that idea.

Older people can get away with a lot. The can correct the young people with words like, "Don't talk to me that way, you whipper-snapper!"

I respect every veterans' service. But being old is no advantage to being president. If it is, why doesn't someone change the US Constitution? I think the minimum age is somewhat lower than 72.

May 23, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  3. Marie in California

I sure hope he's in good health because he'll be getting my Democratic vote now that it seems Hillary may fall by the wayside.

As for Obama.....No 'American Idol' president!

May 23, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  4. Ken

Good for McCain, he is as strong as a bull. I would put my money on him if he were to arm wrestle Barack.

May 23, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  5. Judy

Interesting that the same folks who were extolling the judgment of Robert Byrd, age 91 and Teddy Kennedy, age 76 because of their backing of Obama are now so sure that McCain is too old to be POTUS. What's with you people?

May 23, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  6. The Don

The guy would not get preferred status on Life Insurnace.

May 23, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  7. keke

I'm very glad for McCain. He is a good man, and a dedicated public servant. I'm glad that he is getting the very best care this country has to offer. That's the way it should be for all Americans. It's unfortunate that neither McCain's record, nor his current political rhetoric, illustrate an effort on his part to afford the same healthcare to his fellow Americans. I do not dislike the man, but why should McCain , at 72, be allowed the top job in the nation, when at 67, most of us couldn't get a job as a receipt checker at the exit of a grocery store ?
    Take a long summer cruise with Cindy and the grand kids, McCain.
    We sincerely appreciate your service to the nation, but please let a new generation of leaders move this nation forward.

May 23, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  8. Crush Rush

Why should I ever doubt any republican,they never lie?Rush told his faithful dittoheads at the end of his show today that if they couldnt afford to have a cookout or drive to someone elses cookout that they should just go and walk to a parade.Gee that was nice of him,while he has a feast for his big oil lobby.

May 23, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Richard

WHAT ABOUT MCCAIN'S MENTAL HEALTH ??

May 23, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  10. Conservative and Proud

Wow, you guys are sly with your constant joking of mental health. That's seriously funny. You all must have saw that on Huffington post or something. Really. I can't stop holding my sides and slapping my knees.

McCain can't lift his right arm above his head due to his torturing.

He had melanoma that left a scar on his face.

Hmm...for such a people who's so Politically Correct, you seem to not mind making fun of mental patients, veterans (in this case, POWs), or cancer survivors. Is this the "change" you speak of? The "Hope"? Get real. You people hate hate hate everything that does not agree with you. So you disagree with him on an issue or two? Does that mean he's less fit to run the country? Of course not.

Now if you wanna talk about unifying the country, then why not let McCain die in office? Isn't it customary for our country to unify after a national tragedy? Kennedy gets a tumor (which even as a conservative, I feel sorry for, he is a respected man) and you people feel he's fit to continue to be Senator.

Please stay consistent with your views, at least. Don't be afraid to respect someone because you disagree with them.

May 23, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  11. Ian

He'll be the healthiest warmonger we've seen in a long time.

May 23, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  12. Relevant

Obama is going to completely destroy this guy in the general election.

It's going to be an unthinkable landslide.

May 23, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. Albert

This is just media spin. Regardless to whom or what, the man is still 71 with 3, count them, 3 bouts with melanoma, the most deadliest form of skin cancer and the media acts like he is some sort of exception to the rule. If he has had 3 instances of melanoma, the 4th isn't far away. The sun just isn't kind to white people. That's not a "racist" quote, just a fact. Look at the numbers. During this campaign, he will be outside a lot and the summer months are just beginning. He's taking these medications that you see on the commercials with all types of side effects and the press just wants to ignore them. Why do you think McCain had all these stipulations before they were allowed to be reviewed? Pressure buss pipes or makes diamonds. I can't wait until Obama and McCain debate. McCain wants to attack Obama on everything but won't say ANYTHING about debating. If Obama is so "naive" debate the man!

May 23, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. D.H

It would be smart for Clinton to leave now so as not to hurt the party anymore. Obama is the best at this time for anyone. McCain & Hillery are to much alike. We need change for the better–NOT the same!

May 23, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. HAWK,TEXAS

WELL THEY DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HIS MENTAL CONDITION. WHICH SEEMS TO BE IN BAD SHAPE.

May 23, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  16. m,aca

If is Obama-McCain , McCain will be President!!!!!!

If is HILLARY/MCCAIN< HILLARY WILL BE PRESIDENT!!!!!!!

I have been in this country for 10 years and for me it is so clear!!!!!!!!

May 23, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  17. mndharmas

excellent physical health , but what about mental integrity, he seems to have no respect for veterans , the status that has brought him this far.
    do we need a soul-less president again.

May 23, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  18. Robert C. Nickisher

Why is it that the press puts republican candidates under the microscope, but doesn't seem to care about digging up anything about Clinton and Obama. i.e. How about Obama's birth name? That's an interesting story.

May 23, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  19. nate

Haley you got it all wrong. I love this country. In fact my stepson is fighting for it in Kabul rite now. I love my country. Its people like you I hate.

May 23, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. FedUpDem

Will all of you obamabots please understand. I do not care if obama offers HRC anything, I am not voting for him PERIOD.

I will never vote for someone who began negative and played the race card and now has all his supporters trying to place the blame on HRC for the division within the party.

I am a moderate Democrat and would rather see John McCain dealing with a Democratic Congress as Bill Clinton had to deal with a Republican one, than have obamas left wing programs rubber stamped by a Dem Congress. Thats just dangerous from my point of view. Now I realize all our sheltered cloistered highly educated students living the ivory tower existence on their extended apron string liberal bastions of education may think thats a good idea. However, they also think Art Mann Presents and Girls Gone Wild are high forms of entertainment when they are not drinking themselves into oblivion.

John McCain has a track record and it includes being able to reach across the aisle (like Ted Kennedy) and compromise. When you have two diametrically opposed wings...radical left and radical right...nothing gets accomplished. When you have willingness to compromise you have movement and change. Do you obamabots get that? It is easier to compromise from the middle or from left or right of center. There is no compromise between the far right and left.

Nobamprah racists!

May 23, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  21. brenda

McCain looks like he is getting some symptoms of Bells Palsey on the left side of his face. (Or maybe it is residual from the past).

May 23, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  22. Lorna, NY

Can someone set Clintons pants suit on fire!

May 23, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  23. shelly

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD

May 23, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  24. Paul

"Obama doesnt have enough experience"...??

Thomas Andrews, (the Chief designer of the TITANIC.. for those uneducated Clinton supporters), studied ship design from the age of 16!!

He had over 30 years experience when the Titanic sank..with him on it!

Judgement matters!! Experience doesnt...thats what advisors are for!

May 23, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  25. FedUpDem

Rus in St. Paul, MN May 23rd, 2008 2:05 pm ET

Didn't they say Titanic was unsinkable also?

****************************************************************************
    you obamabots should remeber that!!!!

May 23, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |