May 24th, 2008

Clinton: Democratic nomination process needs to change

Clinton has been citing Karl Rove’s analysis as a basis for her argument.
Clinton has been citing Karl Rove’s analysis as a basis for her argument.

BRANDON, South Dakota (CNN) – In the face of Barack Obama’s insurmountable lead among pledged delegates, Hillary Clinton on Friday again declared victory in the popular vote and suggested the current nominating process fails to represent the true will of American voters.

“We’re going to have to change the system by which we pick the nominees, I believe, and we are with the system we have now,” Clinton said, responding to a supporter here who lamented the role of superdelegates in selecting the party’s nominee. “And I’m a big believer in one person one vote, and I believe in as much democracy as possible.”

Clinton told the supporter that “superdelegates will play a big role” in choosing the nominee, but said she would prefer a primary-only system in which nominating contests would be bundled together.

“I think that’s an issue for debate in the future because I believe we should have primaries everywhere, and everybody, as many people as possible should be encouraged to vote,” she said. “We ought to group them so that nobody is at the tail end, so everybody has a chance to participate. But that’s all for the future.”

Despite her apparent dig against superdelegates, Clinton and her campaign have routinely argued that those party elites should be able to exercise their independent judgment in choosing a nominee, regardless of vote totals or pledged delegate counts.

Clinton also entered into a lengthy fulmination on the question of electability, arguing that she can “put together the electoral map” to defeat John McCain and citing a sampling of Karl Rove’s electoral maps and polling data, obtained by ABC News earlier this week, that showed her performing better than Obama in key states.

“Ask anybody who is supporting my opponent to please tell you how he gets to the 270 electoral votes that we must have to win,” she said. “Every independent analysis that I have seen, some of them done by no friends of Democrats as well as objective news channels, show that I defeat John McCain in key states like Florida, like Ohio, and my opponent does not. Show that I have won states totaling 300 electoral votes. My opponent has won states totaling about 217 electoral votes.”

On her chances in South Dakota, Clinton said she is “racing against the wind here” because Obama has “a lot of the institutional support, a lot of the political establishment” in the state.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. john

TO,

ALL THE OBAMA SUPPORTER AND GENERAL PEOPLE OF AMERICA AS A PROUD CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY REJECT AND STOP ANY ACTIVITY OF HILLARY.

TELL YOUR FRIEND AND NEIGHBOUR TO STOP HILLARY ACTIVITY.

May 24, 2008 04:37 am at 4:37 am |
  2. mkeey

This lady is terrific. Are people now birdbrained to understand that Hillary Clinton thinks that America belongs to her.She has been doing and saying all what she wanted and she always gets away with them. She is a pathological liar. She lied to the whole nation about Bosnian, she did intentionally deceived the DNC by letting them to believe her barefaced lie on Mi. and Fl. She admitted in the first place like every other candidate that these votes shouldn't be counted, she lied to Ohio and Pennsylvania about NAFTA, she deceived America about
    Columbia. She said and keep saying she has the most popular votes, instead of repudiating racial divisive comments, she invokes using the racial card. She plays the gender card now she is falsely instrumentalizing the death of Edward Kennedy..... I can't take this anymore, enough is enough! E N O U G H! Wolf Blitzer should objectively say what is right and tell her to quitt!

May 24, 2008 04:38 am at 4:38 am |
  3. Chi4Obama

"Patty" May 24th, 2008 1:15 am ET

– I actually agree with you regarding holding all primaries on the same day. I never understood the rationalel behind holding them over the course of several months under our current system. My only guess would be that having primaries over a 5-6 month timeframe, enables the media to microanalyze the voter results for each in every state. It makes for great storylines as they can spin who has momentum, etc. As we all know, the General Election is only one day. So I don't know why the primaries don't follow this format??
    Yikes, I just realized that I may be agreeing with Hillary on this. Scary thought....

May 24, 2008 04:44 am at 4:44 am |
  4. Joseph in PA

As much as I have tried to be civil to Senator Clinton as of late, for the good of the Party, respect her service, and allow her to bow out gracefully, I must say that she has completely discredited herself.

She continues to claim falsely that more people voted for her, which is just false.

She flip flops on the rules and on which states are important and matter.

She has continually put her foot in her mouth, most recently today with the RFK remark and misquoting the history of the 1992 campaign.

Now...the process is unfair.

As a child, when I would whine, cry, and complain, my mother would smack me and tell me to knock it off or she would really give me something to cry about.

I implore the Super delegates to do what they are charged with to protect the Party nomination process and secure the best campaign going into November, and END this madness of the Clinton Campaign. It has just become destructive to the Party as a whole.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing the Fat Lady who wishes now to sing for you..."

May 24, 2008 04:46 am at 4:46 am |
  5. Time to move on

The same rule her husband used.What else would this woman not try.Infact she is behaving like a spoilt child of late.Please she need help.
    DEM UNITE BEHIND OBAMA TO WIN THE WHITE HOUSE.

May 24, 2008 04:47 am at 4:47 am |
  6. ALEX

YOU GO CLINTON

May 24, 2008 04:48 am at 4:48 am |
  7. ALEX

honestly, the caucus system should have been destroyed years ago because its a system of the past. Its all about primary's because this will accumulate the actual voter turnout and not a bland overview..

May 24, 2008 04:49 am at 4:49 am |
  8. Peter in NY

All of those who are so afraid that Barack won't get the nomination or the presidency at that, please stop with your constant, desperate attacks on Hillary. Everything she says is being taken out of context just to make her look like the most horrible person ever to walk the planet. Your responses are childish and ridiculous.

Besides, if you think Barack is such a strong candidate overall, than why give poor ol' Hillary so much credit for ruining his chances? That shows that you don't have faith in him either.

And please, please do not blame the Clintons, if Barack loses in the general election; that is if he even makes it out of the primary stage. I suggest that you just suck it up and let the process play out.

May 24, 2008 04:54 am at 4:54 am |
  9. Sally in Cali

Where are Senator Clinton's records? Did she get psychiatric counseling after the Monica ordeal? Some counseling might be a good idea, considering today's events.

This race has gone on too long.

May 24, 2008 04:56 am at 4:56 am |
  10. John Democrat

Hillary wouldn't be complaining if she was the front runner.......Obama read the DNC rules and followed the rules. Its clear Hillary didn't read the DNC rules before getting into the race. So much hot air about experience Hillary....Its delegates that counts. Not popular votes! HILLARY GET OUT NOW YOU' RE SPOILING THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!!!

May 24, 2008 04:56 am at 4:56 am |
  11. fojohnson

Where the hell are these super delegate? Are they going to make up their mind before Hillary destroy the party? I wonder what some of them are faired of. I hope they will remain on the fence and see how Hillary is willing to ruin the party. What are these leaders of democrat doing? Why do they want Obama to choice Hillary has VP? Hillary is not about change. They don't belong to the same ticket. Moreover Hillary said Obama is not electable, so why does she has she has to be his VP after all what she has put Obama through and say about him? Really politics is a dirty game. Democratic party leaders do you think there is no other person that fit the VP position than Hillary? If that what you leaders are thinking then I don't think you want democrat in the white house.

May 24, 2008 04:59 am at 4:59 am |
  12. Redbug-Oh

She is to the point, if she can't win (and she can't and won't), she doesn't want Obama to win. To use her words SHAME ON YOU hilary, SHAME ON YOU.

May 24, 2008 05:01 am at 5:01 am |
  13. Andy

HRC supporters, I WILL NOT VOTE FOR HILLARY IF SHE BECOMES THE NOMINEE. Hmm, seems sort of irrelevant now, doesn't it? She's toast.

May 24, 2008 05:04 am at 5:04 am |
  14. Kay Dennis

I THINK SHE IS REALLY MAKING HERSELF LOOK BAD, I WOULD HAVE VOTED FOR HER, BUT NOW I SEE HOW EMOTIONS CAN TURN A COUNTRY UPSIDE DOWN, AND THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO WITH HER AS PRESIDENT. I WAS IN THE MILITARY AND IN THE MIDDLE EAST AND THEY DONT RESPECT WOMEN IN POWER ANYWAYS, THEY WILL SEE HER AS AN WEAKNESS AND WILL BOMB US AWAY, BECAUSE THEY HAVE HIT US WHERE IT HURTS, ECONOMY AND SOLDIERS, THIEY WILL CONTINUE TO KILL US UNTIL WERE WEAK IN NUMBERS, THAT FIGHT OVER THERE WILL NEVER END. YOU DONT PLAY WITH THOSE PEOPLE EITHER YOU TAKE ALL OR FIGHT TILL YOU DIE, THEY WILL NEVER ACCEPT OUR VIEWS OF GOVERNMENT. ITS NOT A GOOD TIME FOR A WOMEN PRESIDENT. I SEE TWO TYPES OF PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD GOOD AND EVIL AND A SERIES OF EVENTS FOLLOW EACH BEHAVIOR AND HILARY IS ON THE GREEDY AND EVIL SIDE NOW. SHE HAS A HARD TIME FACING REALITY AND ACKNOWLEDGING HER AGREEMENTS, THIS IS NOT WHAT I HOPED FOR AS THE FIRST WOMEN PRESIDENT, SHE HAS NO BEARING, WE NEED SOMEONE TO REPRESENT US WITH SOME BALLS, NOT AN EMOTIONAL CRY BABY, ILL VOTE FOR OBAMA FOR NOW UNLESS HE SHOWS ME ANOTHER SIDE OF HIM, I THINK HE'S SMART AND HAS TO HEART TO BARE WHATS AHEAD OF HIM AND I TRUST HE WILL US HIS RESOURSES AND REVIEW THEM THROUGHLY BEFORE HE MAKES A DECISION , UNLIKE HILARY, I THINK HE'S MOST SUITABLE, AT LEAST HE'S HONEST AND CARRY HIMSELF WITH DIGNITY, A TRUE LEADER.

May 24, 2008 05:07 am at 5:07 am |
  15. amila

I feel sorry for the kid who stold his video game and his bike to donate to Hillary.

May 24, 2008 05:08 am at 5:08 am |
  16. JD

The Republicans would have a field day with the democrats in the fall if Sen Clinton is on the ticket as Vice-President or President. She is entirely polarizing to the vast majority of Americans by her uncanny ability to constantly show her complete lack of ethics and character!

The Democratic party will survive with or without the Clintons. Sen Clinton needs to think what kind of legacy her campaign is leaving for the next female Presedential candidate.

Sen Clinton is desperate!

May 24, 2008 05:08 am at 5:08 am |
  17. Javone77

At first I was mad at Hillary Clinton for the type of campaign she ran. Now I really do feel sorry for her. The Bible says that out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. To have that kind of hate in your heart that you would stick around in the race just in case something happens to Obama. She may not have meant it, but there are just some things YOU DO NOT SAY!!!!! "35" years of experience should have taught her that! It's sad to se that it has come to this. It's no longer about her desire to finish the primaries anymore. Now it's about the fact that not only is she killing her political career, she is taking the whole democratic party down with her. If she really cared about the party as a whole, the LEAST she could do was run a clean campaign. It's really sad.

May 24, 2008 05:11 am at 5:11 am |
  18. Walt

Well, we now know who the Vice President WON'T BE!! I can't believe that at one point I was going to vote for Hillary. Anyone want to wager whether or not she will do a Lieberman?

May 24, 2008 05:20 am at 5:20 am |
  19. mel in sd

Here's an idea for the future...
    Condense and even out the primaries. Just throwing out numbers, but perhaps 5 states per week, or 10 states every other week? It would take 2.5 months, there would be no "super Tuesdays" or mediocre Tuesdays (those with one state), and the candidates would still have time to campaign. Maybe it could go back and forth from east to west (to make campaigning more convenient/efficient- not to mention saving some of the ridiculous carbon emissions that occur when all those people have to constantly fly zig-zag across the country!) The schedule would hypothetically be set up in a logical way by the DNC (and really the RNC too- since another thing I believe should happen is to have all primaries be open) and states would simply NOT have the option of changing their dates.
    Just a thought...

May 24, 2008 05:26 am at 5:26 am |
  20. christoph

i've noticed that all the hillary supporters have no argument when it comes to defending their candidate, all they say is 'go on, carry on, we're all for you!' but they always fail to mention the reason why they want her to do so! the polls are right when they say that most of her voters are uneducated, they haven't got a clue, to be quite honest, this woman is brain dead and right out pathetic, enough already, go away and don't come back!

May 24, 2008 05:31 am at 5:31 am |
  21. Mike

Hillary! For your own sake and that of ur husband's legacy plz GET OUT OF the "HISTORY'S WAY!" before you are run over by the will of CHANGE and get totally SMASHED! Remember that Time and Tide will not bear resistance! How fat an EGO do you have!!??

May 24, 2008 05:59 am at 5:59 am |