May 24th, 2008

Clinton: Democratic nomination process needs to change

Clinton has been citing Karl Rove’s analysis as a basis for her argument.
Clinton has been citing Karl Rove’s analysis as a basis for her argument.

BRANDON, South Dakota (CNN) – In the face of Barack Obama’s insurmountable lead among pledged delegates, Hillary Clinton on Friday again declared victory in the popular vote and suggested the current nominating process fails to represent the true will of American voters.

“We’re going to have to change the system by which we pick the nominees, I believe, and we are with the system we have now,” Clinton said, responding to a supporter here who lamented the role of superdelegates in selecting the party’s nominee. “And I’m a big believer in one person one vote, and I believe in as much democracy as possible.”

Clinton told the supporter that “superdelegates will play a big role” in choosing the nominee, but said she would prefer a primary-only system in which nominating contests would be bundled together.

“I think that’s an issue for debate in the future because I believe we should have primaries everywhere, and everybody, as many people as possible should be encouraged to vote,” she said. “We ought to group them so that nobody is at the tail end, so everybody has a chance to participate. But that’s all for the future.”

Clinton also entered into a lengthy fulmination on the question of electability, arguing that she can “put together the electoral map” to defeat John McCain and citing a sampling of Karl Rove’s electoral maps and polling data, obtained by ABC News earlier this week, that showed her performing better than Obama in key states.

“Ask anybody who is supporting my opponent to please tell you how he gets to the 270 electoral votes that we must have to win,” she said. “Every independent analysis that I have seen, some of them done by no friends of Democrats as well as objective news channels, show that I defeat John McCain in key states like Florida, like Ohio, and my opponent does not. Show that I have won states totaling 300 electoral votes. My opponent has won states totaling about 217 electoral votes.”

On her chances in South Dakota, Clinton said she is “racing against the wind here” because Obama has “a lot of the institutional support, a lot of the political establishment” in the state.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Corey, Maryland

Cause thats going to help her get elected!!!!!

Obama Richardson 2008

May 24, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  2. Mary

How much longer are we going to have to listen to Hillary whine ?

May 24, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  3. Thomas

This woman has just lost all respect and sense of reason.

May 24, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  4. Lorenzo Atlanta, Georgia

Here we go again. Moving the finish line. This is what we call a sore loser. I wonder how Bill could take years of her twisted logic.

May 24, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  5. HillarySkank on myspace

Tough cookies Hilly. The rules are the rules. You agreed to them now sit down and shut up before the secret service comes by to arrest you.

May 24, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  6. Gerald F.

Just do the best you can.

May 24, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  7. Jim

First it's "MI and FL need to be punished" when she didn't need their votes, she thought....

Then it's "MI and FL need to count for civil rights' sake!!"

First it's "I am the inevitable nominee because I have so many superdelegates in my pocket"

Now it's "I am losing so we need to change the system"

CAN ANYONE FIGURE OUT WHERE SHE REALLY STANDS ON ANYTHING??

YES!! I have figured it out! She stands for anything that benefits THE CLINTONS and the Clintons ONLY.

May 24, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  8. Haffer R

Is anyone really listening to this woman? Well let me tell you about those who I think do.

Its amazing that such an intelligent woman is supported by the most unintelligent in each state. I guess marketing yourself as a bitter hack goes along way...

Nearby, there is a Hillary headquarters and everyday I drive by and see the same racist over 40 white women out there parading around. They are typically over weight and look like they have been sipping on the Hillary kool aid way, try sugar free...

As far as sexism goes, Hillary Clinton acts and talks like a man, not a woman and appeals to the bitter mid 40's divorcee trying to put their life together who thinks they are still hip, but inside deeply insecure about aging and their role in life.

Hillary supporters are easy to spot, they are angry about everything and never make amends with those they be-little....I see them everyday.

May 24, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  9. JC

Hillary is not electable from Day One.
    How ironic the Democrats let her run this far!
    Luckily, Obama will fix them up fast.

May 24, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  10. Joe M

This is a joke. This is the same woman who claimed some sort of huge victory in Pennsylvania after having huge advantages in endorsements from high-level politicians (senators, the governer) to local mayors of PA's biggest cities. She grew up there, but somehow after managing just point win in Pennsylvania, claimed some earth-shattering come-from-behind victory in the state. Now she's complaining that she's "running against the wind" in South Dakota. I see, Hillary. When you have all the advantages in a state, its a huge victory, but you are already making excuses when your opponent has more support in a contested state. It really has been truly amazing watching her twist reality day after day to suit her now hopeless candidacy.

May 24, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  11. joe

the good thing is we are not in the third world country We don't change rule last minute to fulfill the dictetors need. Enough is enough just hung your jersey or whatever you have to hung.

May 24, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  12. Cohiba

No surprise here...Hillary is losing and it certainly cannot be her fault, so let's blame the process. This woman will do and say anything to get what she wants. PATHETIC.

May 24, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  13. Eric

It's very likely that the nomination process will change, but not until AFTER it is over this time around. You should be worrying about repairing your reputation now, Clinton, because it's pretty clear your presidential aspirations are over.

May 24, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  14. Joseph

Go Hill-dawg! I love her and I will be VERY disappointed if she does not receive the nomination.

Hill '08

May 24, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  15. Michael

Sad that she can make such a contradiction, out loud, that she can say superdelegates and the like shouldn't matter in the future, but then at the same time need them desperately to get her the nomination, and none of her supporters care! Why are Clinton supporters so blind as to the reality of this race? The people of the US elected Obama, plain and simple. If he had been of the ballot in Michigan, he would be ahead even by Clinton's ridiculous math, and she wouldn't be able to claim any of these things.

It's just really sad that after 8 years of Bush, we STILL haven't opened our eyes.

May 24, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  16. FrankSmith

Freud said it best:

Our "unconscious" motives are BEST expressed in SLIPS of the TONGUE (mis-speaking). Well Hillary just revealed her "unconscious feelings" about Obama!

May 24, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  17. jm from sc

The process needs to remain the same. It should not be changed to make Sen. Clinton look good. Anyways, the states won in the primary does not exactly reflect the outcome of the general election. Rush Limbaugh will not be campaigning for Clinton in the fall.

Obama 08

May 24, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  18. June

Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional
    Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional
    Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional
    Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional
    Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional
    Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional
    Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional
    Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional
    Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional
    Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional Delusional

To think I actually donated to her campaign. As woman, I think she is
    destroying everything good she has done in the last 15 months.

May 24, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  19. Edward Lynn

So, as usual, whatever makes her right is the right way to go, huh? Hillary, it's against the rules to change the rules in the middle of the game... in any game. Nobody likes a sore loser.

May 24, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  20. Hurm...

I dunno... Obama did a pretty good job with change...

You are just complaining now Hillary. You thought you had the nomination in the bag going into Iowa.

As an Iowan, I saw right through you. It seems as if you did not want to be here campaigning. As if it was a 'waste of your time' because you expected to win here. And now you're wanting every vote counted because you are behind. It is no wonder you came in third here...

May 24, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  21. Rafi, NY NY

"Despite her apparent dig against superdelegates, Clinton and her campaign have routinely argued that those party elites should be able to exercise their independent judgment in choosing a nominee, regardless of vote totals or pledged delegate counts."

I'm glad this paragraph was included, because that was the first thing that entered my mind.

May 24, 2008 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  22. mike

soo umm if she cant win the nominationby FOLLOWING the rules... How can she win the White House by following the rules? or are we going to have to change that too?

The point of a nomination is to come up with a strategy ti win the most delegates then focus on the general election. Obama is doing just that.

FLORIDA FOR Obama

May 24, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  23. chuck

She is right, check the current poll results at http://www.electoral-vote.com

Better than that she is actually ahead now in delegates elected in Primary states. Obama's lead in "pledged" delegates is now all caucus states and Edwards switches.

May 24, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  24. Casey from Atlanta

i wonder how it is for Hillary.... being in la la land and all... where voodoo math rules, political pixie dust makes magic changes, some states are more important based upon her logic...

she must be tired spinning the multitude of desperate lies about how she's actually winning with a 'popular vote' that disenfranchizes several caucus states...

Hllary, are you tired yet? because I am... I love you... but you're killing me with this mess...

oh, i forgot... my opinion doesn't matter becasue I didn't vote for you.

May 24, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  25. bill in pa

She's done. After the RFK comments she'll be lucky to be elected as dog catcher in Podunk, WV.

May 24, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |