May 24th, 2008

Clinton: Democratic nomination process needs to change

Clinton has been citing Karl Rove’s analysis as a basis for her argument.
Clinton has been citing Karl Rove’s analysis as a basis for her argument.

BRANDON, South Dakota (CNN) – In the face of Barack Obama’s insurmountable lead among pledged delegates, Hillary Clinton on Friday again declared victory in the popular vote and suggested the current nominating process fails to represent the true will of American voters.

“We’re going to have to change the system by which we pick the nominees, I believe, and we are with the system we have now,” Clinton said, responding to a supporter here who lamented the role of superdelegates in selecting the party’s nominee. “And I’m a big believer in one person one vote, and I believe in as much democracy as possible.”

Clinton told the supporter that “superdelegates will play a big role” in choosing the nominee, but said she would prefer a primary-only system in which nominating contests would be bundled together.

“I think that’s an issue for debate in the future because I believe we should have primaries everywhere, and everybody, as many people as possible should be encouraged to vote,” she said. “We ought to group them so that nobody is at the tail end, so everybody has a chance to participate. But that’s all for the future.”

Despite her apparent dig against superdelegates, Clinton and her campaign have routinely argued that those party elites should be able to exercise their independent judgment in choosing a nominee, regardless of vote totals or pledged delegate counts.

Clinton also entered into a lengthy fulmination on the question of electability, arguing that she can “put together the electoral map” to defeat John McCain and citing a sampling of Karl Rove’s electoral maps and polling data, obtained by ABC News earlier this week, that showed her performing better than Obama in key states.

“Ask anybody who is supporting my opponent to please tell you how he gets to the 270 electoral votes that we must have to win,” she said. “Every independent analysis that I have seen, some of them done by no friends of Democrats as well as objective news channels, show that I defeat John McCain in key states like Florida, like Ohio, and my opponent does not. Show that I have won states totaling 300 electoral votes. My opponent has won states totaling about 217 electoral votes.”

On her chances in South Dakota, Clinton said she is “racing against the wind here” because Obama has “a lot of the institutional support, a lot of the political establishment” in the state.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Conner from Kansas

Hillary Clinton's lead in the popular vote can only come from her counting the Michigan and Florida primaries. The people of those states need to have their say. However, in Michigan, Barack was not even on the ticket, and in Florida, Barack did not campaign because he was obeying the rules of the Democratic Party. Hillary should not be able to win with some kind of backdoor strategy that is in my opinion, ethically unsound.

May 24, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  2. Fish

Had there never been superdelegates, Clinton would never had had a lead going into Iowa. The only reason Obama had to catch up to Hillary was because of the 100 more superdelegates Clinton had prior to Iowa.

Either way, Obama has the majority of pledged delegates already and will win the nomination.

Im all for Clinton finishing her race, and am especially against the Electoral College and the idea of delegates as opposed to popular vote. But out nominating process is over, and Clinton coming out NOW to talk about changing the system is just not good politics.

Obama and Dems 08

May 24, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  3. k

Does she still here? Oh my...
    This woman does not have any respect even for herself.
    So sad... so shame...

May 24, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  4. BHO

Hillary want to bend the rules when she is losing. This woman must be checked by a doctor for mental disorder.

She expect some lunatic may kill OBAMA. Otherwise she has no reason to remind the murder of Robert Kenedy.

She can go and settle in Iraq.

May 24, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  5. Travis from Tennessee

Everyone needs to let up on Hillary, that includes you Brittany, she has the right to speak whatever is on her mind and she also has a write to stay in till June 3rd when all primaries have finished and the superdelegates have weighed in.

May 24, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  6. Billie Robberstad

I must say I;ve never been so ashamed of the people in America, as I am in this presidental race. And so much hate . Especially about the Clintons. Where are peoples brains any way.In watching and listening to all the hate on some one that has done nothing to these hate mongers. It makes me sick to think every thing Hillery says, they try and make something bad out of. But they are acting like Oboma is a God. Better wake up America you are promoting so much hate.aaaaIIt will come back one day to haunt you.

May 24, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  7. Make Love, Not War

fuzzy math all over again

May 24, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  8. Rolando J Mendoza

It's a joke to have the "math" be the deciding factor- she is more electable- he's taken advantage of caucuses that don't mean didly- just symbolic- like Iowa- what a joke. They should have winner take all like the Republicans- no wonder they keep winning the white house with losers like Bush- it is pathetic- and now we end up with yet another male effete elite from Harvard Law school- he's another idiot from the skull and bones club- oh who happens to be black- why do u think all the Alpha Male dogs of the party are supporting him- Kerry, Kennedy, Biden, Dodd, Edwards- good ole boys! The Frat House mentality is what rules Washington- there's no hope or change there SWEETIE- business as usual!!!

May 24, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  9. Q

i predict she will ask her supporters to write her in when she loses the nomination, ha, ha, ha, wont that be funny, she could play spoiler to the dems,,,, the best party to beat democrats are the democrats,,,,, we can sure screw up a wet dream folks

May 24, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  10. Trollmaster

Too many states are trying to leapfrog over other states primaries so they'll have a say. (which they've hadn't had much say since who knows when). This is getting out of control. At this rate the 2020 election will start in October of 2018. It's ridiculous.

One idea is 4 different rounds of primaries. Split the states in 4 different voting groups and rotate the dates every 4 year election cycle.

It would make more sense than the system we have now.

May 24, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  11. bernice

Liar Liar {Pants suits on fire]!!

May 24, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  12. Mohammad, Los Angeles CA

I think women should stop blindly supporting Hillary. Everytime I see a comment supporting her, I look at the name and loe and behold its a woman. Come on, please. I really wanted to see a woman in the white house. Just not THIS woman. She is one of the most viciously ambitious and conniving women I have ever seen. And today she suggested, in a way, that she is waiting for something terrible to happen to Obama.

This is a terrible woman and shame on women who blindly follow her just because she is one.

May 24, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  13. miltton zschiedrich sr.

hillaryclinton is the most experiance and nost smartes person out of the three runnjng . and she should get the supperdegates to vote her in if they want to win.

May 24, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  14. Please make it stop

Of course she wants it to change–she not winning. I've always like the fact the delegates are based on the precentage. Honestly, if someone wins 51% v 49% should they get all the delegates? Seems more democratic to me. All the folks who they it should change would you still be saying this Obama was staying this? Then she will bring up MI and FL–guess what they knew what would happen if they moved up their primiaries up. She doesn't do well in caucaus; so let get rid of those too. The longer the race continues; the more I loose respect for for her. She rather destroy party; than united it. Just shameful.

May 24, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  15. Jeanne, San Diego

Any system that doesn't declare her the winner is flawed, according to her. She knew the rules going in. Had she not done such a poor job managing her campaign, she might be in a different place. Sour grapes... sour grapes... sour grapes. She doesn't deserve the nomination and she's doing a pretty good job of self-destructing, making sure she doesn't get it. The smart thing would have been to suspend her campaign after Kentucky, when she could have left on a high note. Now she just looks sad and pathetic.

May 24, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  16. jason

yes, a topic for FUTURE debates: particularly at a time when here answer wont translate into either:

a) "There is always hope that the superdelegates will override the also-important votes for Obama"

or

b) "There is no hope and I will lose this election. Why are you all still here?"

To the "uneducated" hillary supporters, I will sum up the most important lesson you can learn after high school:

Someone is always better than you at something, but it doesn't matter. You don't need to retaliate by pretending to be PROUD of it – it simply doesn't matter.

May 24, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  17. Alex

What really needs change is your ego...up to now I used to respect you. I now know that you are a sick woman blinded by ego. Anybody who in some way has a wish for his opponents’ death so that he can be a president is a sick person. He is not even your real opponent if you have principle. For you it is not about principle it is all about power. You were republican until you met Bill...you could switch back to Republican if they promised you the nomination...there is no doubt. Anyway, you will be part of history not for what you real are but for a woman who fought to be the first Democratic Party nominee. The truth is you should be in the history book for the woman who wished her opponent death so that she can be the nominee.

May 24, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  18. Keith, Torrance California

This is the most pathetic, ridiculous group of voters. I joined the democratic party because I thought they were more open minded, liberal, accepting and understand. Reading blog after blog of hate, complaining, and self righteousness...I think I'll go back to the Republican Party. Unfortunately, I've now learned the Dems are no better than the Republicans but worse..hypocritical. I for one want no part of a party that is so hateful to each other.

May 24, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  19. bernice

No wait it's scrabble rules "i've won the states with the most states that have more value in scrabble rules' Idiots.

May 24, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  20. Kevin

So true she is. How can we let a bunch of Republican states pick a nimonie? That is beyond understanding ...

May 24, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  21. ABC Forever

Wow, I recall reading the comments from a Hillary supporter after Iowa spouting off that "It's all about the delegates Obama newbies!"

Funny how it was fair 21 debates ago and now it isn't. Let me make it perfectly clear: "If this nomination is not decided by June 4th, there will be a very heavy price to pay!"

ABC Forever!

May 24, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  22. bernice

I'm President, I won by SCRABBLE RULES!!!

May 24, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  23. rob

Clintons are like roaches, they just keep coming back! you gotta finish em once for all.

May 24, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  24. Enzo

funny thing lol. and why she didnt mention about this before the primaries kicked off? why only now?why only when she's losing badly to obama in superdelegates count?

she's getting more desperate now..that is just pathetic..

May 24, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  25. Ron

I love Americans, I love USA and I love the world, I am very much concerned for this election, the contest between Hillary and Barak is quite popular in the whole world. So many people outside USA hate Americans because of jealousy and it's a fact. Arabs and muslim countries hate Americans except Kuwait, if you talk American they consider it as white people and this constest between Hillary and Barak are considred by them between an American (Hillary) and a Muslim (Obama) because of his full name which is purely muslim which actually Barak was before he converted into Christian 20 yrs ago (why? because of his goal in life to strengthen and support his origin of belief). That is why you may be surprsed that BHO had showered by donations because of this pelople who contributed to him. For them their time had come that one of their brothers will lead to help them and destroy the power of the USA. I am not a supporter of any candidate but please make up your mind, I know that the angel will guide you one of these days and will wake you up in your bad dreams. Americans please save your country and the world. CNN please post this, this is very important. we must help one another, we must help the mandkind, we must save the earth!!!! There is a bogus person pretending to be a nice guy!!

May 24, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |