May 26th, 2008

Bill Clinton says wife is victim of a ‘cover up’

CNN

Watch Bill Clinton's remarks about the state of the race.

(CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton said that Democrats were more likely to lose in November if his wife Hillary Clinton is not the party’s presidential nominee, and suggested some people were trying to “cover this up” and “push and pressure and bully” superdelegates to make up their minds prematurely.

"I can’t believe it. It is just frantic the way they are trying to push and pressure and bully all these superdelegates to come out,” he said at a South Dakota campaign stop Sunday, in remarks first reported by ABC News. “'Oh, this is so terrible: The people they want her. Oh, this is so terrible: She is winning the general election, and he is not. Oh my goodness, we have to cover this up.'"

The former president added that his wife had not been given the respect she deserved as a legitimate presidential candidate. "She is winning the general election today and he is not, according to all the evidence,” he said. “And I have never seen anything like it. I have never seen a candidate treated so disrespectfully just for running.”

“Her only position was, ‘Look, if I lose I'll be a good team player. We will all try to win - but let's let everybody vote, and count every vote,’" he said.

The former president suggested that if the New York senator ended the primary season with an edge in the popular vote, it would be a significant development. "If you vote for her and she does well in Montana and she does well in Puerto Rico, when this is over she will be ahead in the popular vote,” said Clinton.

“And they're trying to get her to cry uncle before the Democratic Party has to decide what to do in Florida and Michigan” – which the party would need to do “unless we want to lose the election. "

The current requirement to claim the Democratic presidential nomination is 2,026 delegates, a formula that does not take into account delegates from Florida and Michigan, whose contests were not sanctioned by the party – although if those votes were to be counted as cast, Hillary Clinton would still currently trail rival Barack Obama in the overall delegate count.

The former president said Sunday that the media had unfairly attacked his wife since the Iowa caucuses, repeating an often-used charge that press coverage had made him feel as though he were living in a “fun house.”

"If you notice, there hasn't been a lot of publicity on these polls I just told you about,” he said. “It is the first time you've heard it? Why do you think that is? Why do you think? Don't you think if the polls were the reverse and he was winning the Electoral College against Senator McCain and Hillary was losing it, it would be blasted on every television station?”

He added, “You would know it wouldn't you? It wouldn't be a little secret. And there is another Electoral College poll that I saw yesterday had her over 300 electoral votes…. She will win the general election if you nominate her. They're just trying to make sure you don't."

1. Tired Of Poor Stepped Upon Millionaire Hillary

To Karen In Cape Cod :
    "Hillary has been smeared repeatedly" ???????

I agree..she has been smeared by Mark Penn, she has been smeared by her sniper story, she has been smeared by her inane and perverse husband, she has been smeared by creditors loaning unrealistically to her botched campaign, she has been smeared by folks not wanting to change the rules of this primary every day.

Her resume is an embelishment, her decision to support the Iraq fiasco is an embarresment, and above all her maniacal obsession to control this country is at the very least frightening and her legacy remains as the single most destructive personality in our Democratic Party.

Karen, I'm happy for you that your living in Cape Cod! You need to wake up and understand there is a whole country out here

May 26, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  2. Sammy

Bill, you are adding to the division in the party. Can you just shut up for a moment and let the process play itself out? Hillary could win and we'll all be happy.

May 26, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  3. Stop Pushing Women Out

I've never seen any candidiate for office treated as terribly as Sen. Clinton has been treated. The democratic establishment has acted outrageously in trying to push her out of this highly competitive race. The media has been utterly biased against her and blatantly in favor of Obama.
    The whole thing is disgusting. If this were a movie, everyone would say that the outrageous way she has been treated is over the top and unbelievable.
    I am disgusted at the Democratic party and I'm a life long Democrat. I will vote my conscience in November and will not fall in line with this conspiracy by the establishment to push aside the female candidate. I will also consider all of this as I vote down my ballot in the other races in November.

May 26, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  4. PhilT

Hillary has been slandered and treated so disrespectfully just for running?

As John Lennon said, Just give me the truth, all I want is the truth.

Hillary -
    "Obama is a christian, as far as I know."
    "You can't choose your family, but you can choose your pastor."

Well, you may not be able to choose your biological family, but you could choose not to stay with a cheating, lying, whining disgrace of an ex-president like Bill, who unfortunately I voted for twice. (Had I known then what I know now).

"Sniper-fire in Bosnia."

"I have 35 years of service (really?), John McCain has 35 years of service, Obama has a speech he gave in 2002."

"Sexism is obvious in this race, there is no racism, but he can't get the votes of working, hard-working, white americans."

"I always opposed NAFTA."

Bill, why don't you and the missus go on a long vacation? You clearly both need one, as do the american people need one from you.

Phil

May 26, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  5. Kathy

My question to the “under 30 generation” who for the first time in their lives “found their voice”… in Obama…..where have you been? Why not until now have you not exercised your right to vote? You place your faith in a man who has not been tested, pocesses little record of accomplishment and little to no experience in international or economic matters. For shame!

Life to you folks seems rather simple. I suppose in your minds, Obama offers a sense of entitlement - your time has come. The simple fact is that if you look past his rhetoric there is little substance. You buy into his chant of “change..yes we can” with little thought as to the complexities involved in bringing about change. Some of you worship him like he is a “messiah”, here to save us from ourselves. He may in fact be anointed the nominee, and you like him, will think nothing can stop you. The simple and relevant truth is……. One can fool some of the people some of the time…but not all the people…. all the time.

McCain may represent a party for which I may not find a lot of common ground however, I respect his honor, integrity and sacrifice to our country, the scars of which he still bears as a testament to his courage…. And I will place my hope for change in him. He has earned my respect and most likely my vote and the votes of millions of others who feel the same way.

For the sake of our country and that of our future….thank god there are more of us than you, and we will not allow this fantasy to continue past Nov. DNC party chairs and uncommitted superdelgates…..you either stop this false prophet now….or we will do so with our votes come Nov.

May 26, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  6. Susan

W O W ~ Ol' Billy-Boy has LOST it!

What a TERRIBLE shame! He sure likes that word TERRIBLE – too bad he doesn't like the WORD – H O N E S T

W H Y are the Clintons sooooooooooooooo desperate? Just what did they have in mind, if they were to have won? This REALLY makes me question their desperation and LYING...

May 26, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  7. Walt

Is there anything that Bill, Hillary, and that campaign manager won't say?

We are at the point where I would rather see Bush III than to have the Clintons back in the White House.

If I still lived in NYC I would not even want her to finish out her term in the Senate.

May 26, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  8. Y

When Obama wins the Presidency in November, Bill Clinton will be on record saying it couldn't be done. Bill and Hillary are writing the perfect movie script.

May 26, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  9. Chuck, Democrats United We Stand

Oh come on, what will be said next? This is getting to be extreemly pathetic!

May 26, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  10. jon

Hey Hillary! If you're reading this, very good! I have done the math. You can still win this race! You can make it to the convention, YOU can get the nomination, YOU can win the presidency!!!!!!!

VOTE HILLARY!!!!!!!

11. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Bill and Hillary, we have some moldy cheese in our refrigerator to go along with your whine. It's easy to blame others for your own failures and if you ever want to gain in credibility, which I doubt that you do, just take some adult responsiblity for yourselves and if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. It's tough living a life of constant lies and frauds.

12. Annette

Please do the math, before lashing out... do the math...this contest is about delegate math. Once again it's unfortunate that the "experience" campaign did not pay attention to the math. Bill continues to say if this was the general election... this is not the general election this is the primary. This is the kind of thinking that's gotten the Clinton camp behind in delegates. What happen to the experience that they should have learned from the "experience". The campaign is winding down. The argument comes on the hill of that.

13. No McSame

Super Tuesday will be tomorrow when the rest of the super delegates line up behind Obama and send Billary home to keep an eye on you Bill.
    Delegates unite and send her home to Bill. We don't need her or Bill to beat McSame.
    A vote for McSame is a shot in your own foot.
    A vote for Obama is a vote for a better world.

14. Donna

First it's sexism, now it is a conspiracy, soon it will be Alien interferance...how about the truth? she is losing because of HER INEPT, DEBT RIDDEN CAMPAIGN...It's always easy to blame others for you losing instead of saying what YOU DID WRONG...Bill needs to look in the mirror..he is a BIG PART of why she is in the boat she is...

The only conspiracy are the MILLIONS of folks who want something and SOMEONE different in the White House...why can't they just understand that folks don't want Hillary and leave it at that...

Talk about ego!!!!

15. Marcelino

Bill and Hillary have played the race card, the gender card, and now they are palying the conspiracy card. Is Bill now saying that Hillary is a victim of the big bad boys? Please, give me a break. It is pitiful. They expected a coronation on February 5th. Now, they are refusing to admit they just ran a lousy campaign. I voted for Hillary in Texas but now I'll never vote for her again.

16. Chris C from Florida

oh ya and one last figure... ya she won 7 out of the last 11... but obama won 33 of the last 51 contests

17. fred

ALL THE WAY TO THE CONVENTION HILLARY!!

Obama is unelectable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Tom

I know the obamakins will shout this down and make their usual derogatory remarks but the latest polls from Rasmussen show Obama losing to McCain by 2 and Hillary beating McCain by 5 while beating him by 8 in swing states. She's the best candidate to win the presidency and she always has been.

19. Sue,Texas

Bill, there's never been a more dedicated supporter of you than me. You and Hill's conduct during this primary has made me sick to my stomach. It's time you both stop this painful down spiral of self respect. One thing I've learned thru-out this process is that you both have nowhere near earned the respect that I've given you thru the years. Your thirst for power, in spite of the rules of the party, has made you & Hill look and act like you've lost your minds.

20. Karen

I can understand why the Clinton's have stuck together through thick and thin, and affairs too numerous to count. They're both absulutely nuts.

21. karen

I am sorry for this country if turn it over to another rookie as we did 7 years ago

we can endure we are a strong people

22. Terrance Miller in Atlanta

Bill this is Why Al Gore didn't want you Campaigning for him .He did win the popular Vote and the election of 2000.But the Supreme court overulled the votes in Florida. You didn't fight for him after that happened. You didn't say he was a Victim ,but you did go on tour with BUSH 41 .I believe you two have some dealings. The Bill I remember knew that these Bushes where toxic to the World let alone the U.S.

Now you want to Fix an election just like they did. I believe you will take this to court and then the courts will decide the primary.

Scary another Black man in a court fighting for freedom .On many levels it seems to be an ending that we see all of the time.
    I just hope that Barack Has a good lawyer ! He is in for a fight!

23. come on now

joe (from florida):
    ALL OF A SUDDEN NOW OBAMA WANTS OUR VOTES COUNTED

NOW THAT HE IS LEADING……WE ARE NOT IGNORANT

don't you realize that hillary didnt want your votes counted EITHER, until she realized that she might need them?

24. notinthiscountry

Hey Bill go smoke another joint...and look out for the Magic dragon. Its the one with Hillary on it. Insane people.

25. WINNING 101 for dummies

If Senator Obama isn't winning, then why is he WINNING?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15