May 26th, 2008

Poll: Obama leads in Montana

Sen. Obama campaigned in Billings, Montana last week.
Sen. Obama campaigned in Billings, Montana last week.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama appears to be headed for a win in one of the final contests of the Democratic nomination race, according to a new poll of likely Democratic primary voters in Montana.

Obama’s support stands at 52 percent and Clinton’s is at 35 percent. Thirteen percent of those who participated in the survey were unsure who they preferred as the Democratic nominee.

The Mason-Dixon poll of 400 likely Democratic primary voters in Montana was conducted May 19-21 and has a margin of error of plus or minus five percentage points.

Montana and South Dakota will hold the last Democratic presidential primaries on June 3; sixteen pledged delegates are up for grabs in Montana’s primary and 15 in South Dakota.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Montana • Polls
  1. Comedy Central

The Montana Standard published a Lee poll in yesterday's paper that also said McCain would beat Obama in the general. Montana will not vote Dem in the GE so the fact that he is winning in the primary means nothing. I know...I was born there and my family goes back to the 1800's in Montana. Except for a few blue spots, Montana is red. Also Obama is ahead in the Dem primary because they would never vote for a woman. While there are some progressives around, they still have an attitude that a woman's place is in the kitchen.

May 26, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  2. Richard

This primary is over. Hillary please give it up, you can't win.

May 26, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  3. Denial

Is this a surprise ........... S.D & Montana is Obama's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

May 26, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  4. Obama Nation

An Ohio Voter, I know the whole 'polling process' might be a little hard for you to understand but usually when polls are conducted they don't go and ask every single voter in the state. It's usually done by choosing a small sample of the total population.

Ofcourse, you would have known this had you been to college like most Obama supporters.

May 26, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  5. MP-Pennsylvania

Let me correct some of Hillary's arguments.
    Her husband campaigned just like Mc Cain does in 1992. Not like hers ( cannot accept the defeat).

This primary teaches many things for us voters.
    Hillary was ineveitable at the begining, so she took voters granted and said/ says what ever they think correct

Obama was relatively unkown to voters, but he has a good campaign that reach many people and include them. If the big states Hillary won before on super teusday are held today, Obama would win them.

Voters dont take people for granted ever

That is the lesson

May 26, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  6. peter in PA

An Ohio Voter,

Go ahead vote for McShame! You are as delusional as queen Hillary.

Obama 08/12 Anyone but Hillary or McShame

May 26, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  7. Cowboys Can Judge Character

Way to to Montana. One thing a westerner can do is judge character. No buying into Slick Willey's stump speeches even if he makes them from the back of a pickup truck.

May 26, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  8. Brian Knoxville, TN

And maybe he'll win Montana in November, too.

HILLARY CLINTON '08

May 26, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. Rashida for Obama!

Seriously people Hillary cannot and will not win.........50 more delegates and its over! Sorry.................maybe later.

OBAMA 08/12

May 26, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  10. Precious

I truly would like to care, but I wish I knew who Senator Barack Obama is. When he first came on the scene, he sounded like he was Martin Luther King, then he started to sound like he was President John F. Kennedy. Speeches are good, but I believe it will not help, if the person is not "real". This is just my take with all due "respect". Talk is talk, but perseverance leads to victory and accomplishments.

May 26, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  11. Linned

Great for Senator Obama – that will be the one of the last primaries and the MI & FL issue will be settled by then. Then, the Democrats can go about the business of showing John McCain and the Republicans how to run a campaign and win an election. All you Republicans who will come onto the blog pretending to be Democrats – go ahead and hate it's your job!

May 26, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. tblno

Larger poll plz

May 26, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  13. Go Obama!

Clinton's campaign is broke so the only thing the few staffers that are left have to do is post comments on blogs.

Hey Bill & Hillary rather than stirring up controversy go pay your bills. You have unpaid bills in every state and city you have campaigned in!

May 26, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  14. Peggy

Good!
    For all those who believe that Obama will not win, just give him the chance. As many of us Clinton original admirers have done, a good many of us will not vote for her in the General Elections. I think the respect she once commanded is eroding and will not translate into votes in the General Election, swing states not withstanding. It seems the opposite is taking place with Barack. More people are deciding to give him a chance. Hillary staying in the race is actually hurting her and helping him.

May 26, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  15. Belle

There is no excuse for the way this primary process has been covered by the media and manipulated by the DNC. I have certainly never seen anything like the bias portrayed in the media. The DNC allowed certain states to move their primary up; those states were the states in which they believed Obama would do well. Obama is the most negative candidate I can remember; he inspires such hatred and animosity that is just unbelievable (just read the comments on this site). His "strategy" is insidious hatred; first he makes a derogatory comment about one of the Clintons' benign statements, then he magnanimously states that he believes their explanation while his campaign continues to ensure negative press about the issue. The Michigan and Florida mess is certainly not his fault alone. The DNC messed it up then he brought his lawyers in to ensure there was no revote (which would have been within the DNC rules). Then, he stays above the fray and lets his staff and supporters ensure the hatred and animosity are continued. There is no excuse. Certainly, Obama did not do this alone; the media and the DNC have helped but the Clintons are less to blame for this mess than anyone else, yet they take the most fallout. All the people they have helped so much during their careers have not just turned against them, they have attacked with unprecedented viciousness. The Clintons have not destroyed the Democratic Party; Obama and the DNC destroyed and have ensured McCain will be our next President.

May 26, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  16. peter in PA

"Thirteen percent of those who participated in the survey were unsure who they preferred as the Democratic nominee"

The 13% does have gut to say I wont vote for Obama because he is black.

May 26, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  17. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

Awesome. Any polls for South Dakota???

WOMEN FOR OBAMA, 08

May 26, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  18. Pat Va

CNN MODERATORS: I find it fascinating and telling (on your part) at your refusal to post any of my comments that are pro-Obama. I wonder if the FCC would be interested in knowing the degree of your biasness of one candidate over another. As a media outlet, I was under the (mistaken, I would gather at this juncture) impression that you were to remain neutral, however this does not appear to be the case with you. I shall wait and see if this comment posts (and is not relegated to "moderation limbo") before I contact the FCC. I graciously thank you.

Senator Obama, I commend you, your advisors, your staff, but most especially your wife, Michelle, for having run an extremely well-organized, effiicient, and dignified campaign.

I read the article in which it had been articulated to your staff that there was to be NO DRAMA and for the most part you and your campaign have lived up to that credo magnificently (I'm well aware that you had to defend yourself against the ridiculous and sublime attacks) and I'm so very proud of that!!!

You have (and are gaining) so many more supporters out here than you can poissibly imagine. We're behind you 110% and wish you Godspeed!!!

NO DRAMA/OBAMA '08

May 26, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  19. A Texas Voter

Silly Hillary supporter the only way she can go all the way to the White House, is to lie and cheat. Oh wait she already did that and still she is behind, I know you are using Clinton Math, so I forgive you

May 26, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  20. Bob Stephens

Obama has already clinched the party Nomination unless the Clintons find some way to force the delegates to ignore the voters and vote for Hillary. Of course, that will be the end of the Democratic party forever and make McSame a sure bet to win the White House.

May 26, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  21. JB

OHIO VOTER... lay off the crack pipe my friend. This one is over. Cue the fat lady...

Obama '08

May 26, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  22. Olivia

In my opinion, Obama is an inexperienced handpicked junior senator, highly ambitious, selected to be the next president by the liberal democrats. All resources have been placed at his disposal, backed by several fund-raising orgs. ANYONE would have a difficult time running against him with this setup.
    Although his bowling is lacking, he is throwing strikes non-stop when it comes to people for no plausible reason. Any one can say what people want to hear, promise anything.
    It now seems that Montana and SD is going with the flow.
    Take a second look....see Hillary and what she has to offer before choosing Obama, the unknown. Our country is at stake.

May 26, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  23. Y

Obama will also win South Dakota and Puerto Rico.

May 26, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  24. Bill, Florida

Its funny, with all these polls being conducted, I don't once recall them asking for my opinion. Maybe its because I'm from Florida, so my voice doesn't count.

Hillary '08

May 26, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  25. Illinoisans For McCain

Barack Obama may win the democratic nomination. But if I were a democrat, i would vote for Clinton simply because she can win in November in states like: Ohio, W Va, Florida, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas and Barack will not come close in at least 4 or 5 of those! McCain will win because democrats nominated a loser!

May 26, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |