May 26th, 2008

Who gets second billing on the presidential ballot?

As the veepstakes heat up, CNN Political Producer Alan Silverleib weighs the pros and cons of 10 possible choices for each party - from the familiar figures to the dark horses.

Filed under: Veepstakes
  1. fred

Anyone with two eyes and common sense would NOT touch the VP spot with Obama....he is doomed to defeat!!!

May 26, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  2. M. Stinson from PA

I'm a Republican voter undecided on who I'm going to vote for either Obama or McCain. I like them both, McCain is my favorite but right now I'm leaning towards Obama because I believe he would be best for America. As long as Hillary isn't on the ticket. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see a woman have a chance in power but not her. Billy boy has her on a tight leash doing what he wants. I was lucky enough to see Bill give a speech at my school and i felt like he was running for President. He was naming all the things that "they" stood for. I don't care what he stands for he was already in the whitehouse, I want to know what she stands for. He was also telling us about "their" ideas and they seemed to be all of his ideas and not hers. So it seemed to me that Bill would be doing all of the work in the whitehouse and her name would go on it. We need some different agendas in this country. We've seen what has taken place the past 20 years with the same families in power. America became weaker, we aren't taken very seriously anymore since Reagan left the whitehouse. There's not much pride in America nowadays, we're in an unpopular war, our dollar is dirt, our economy is terrible. Many Americans are paying $4 a gallon for gas. But something is changing, Americans want to see a change in their government. Nobody would've thought that an African American senator from Illinois would beat one of the most powerful politicians in America. But he did very convincingly. And for Hillary supporters to say they won't vote for him sounds ignorant to me. He whooped your girl down fair and square. But hey whatever, if you want to vote for McCain I wouldn't mind at all having another Republican in office. I apologize for not answering the question, I think Senator Hagel would be a good choice for V.P.

May 26, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  3. Mariann Pepitone

Obama cannot win and will never win the battleground states that Hillary Clinton won especially WVA and KY who stated they do not vote black. And the reason he cannot win those states is because they know he is not capable of running this country. Running it to the ground maybe. If Hillary doesn't win the nomination she should declare herself as an independent and ruin it for Obama. Why not. This is a dog eat dog campaign and she should go for the bone plus fix all the white people that voted for him instead of her because he would lose and McCain would have a hey day. And I would celebrate myself for his loss.

May 26, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  4. ted

I support Obama, but if he chooses Clinton for his VP I will simply not vote for anyone......I used to support the Clintons, but now I cannot stand her or Bill anymore.....they are so desperate at this point!

May 26, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  5. Jim

Obama can't win w/o Hillary's supporters.............................................. Remember that!

May 26, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  6. J El Educado

OBAMA/SEBELIUS '08

Check their voting history, stance on issues and demographic appeal. It is the best pair for our country!

OBAMA/SEBELIUS '08

May 26, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  7. HILLARY HAS THE POPULAR VOTE!!!!!!

WHO CARES, HILLARY WILL PICK WHO SHE WANTS!

KEEP IT UP HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!

WE SUPPORT YOU!

May 26, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  8. Sally from Cali

Hillary was being ignored by the press, so she repeated something vile that she's said three other times in the past. So finally she was on the front page of every news publication. She needed FREE press because she's mismanaged her campaign so badly. She looked dazed and confused at her press conference in the grocery store on Friday which looked pathetic because she is an expert at getting public sympathy. She's even cried or feigned crying a couple of times.

And right now she's working on her plans for a floor fight at the convention. She's not just in it until June 3. Don't be deceived. She wants the argument in these blogs to continue to the convention. She does not want to be vice president. She's made that abundantly clear by her vile comments. Hillary is waiting for something bad to happen. She wants to swift boat Obama. Let's be real. She wants to be president by ANY means necessary.

We will need a King Solomon to decide the nomination. If you know the story, the mother who wanted to split the baby rather than let the other mother have it, lost.

Democrats unite!

May 26, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  9. Willis, Texas

NOT HILLARY!!!
    NOT HILLARY!!!
    NOT HILLARY!!!
    NOT HILLARY!!!
    NOT HILLARY!!!

ENOUGH SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 26, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  10. jmm

The media should stop the Clinton bashing. There is no excuse for the way this primary process has been covered by the media and manipulated by the DNC. I have certainly never seen anything like the bias portrayed in the media. The DNC allowed certain states to move their primary up; those states were the states in which they believed Obama would do well. Obama is the most negative candidate I can remember; he inspires such hatred and animosity that is just unbelievable (just read the comments on this site). His "strategy" is insidious hatred; first he makes a derogatory comment about one of the Clintons' benign statements, then he magnanimously states that he believes their explanation while his campaign continues to ensure negative press about the issue. The Michigan and Florida mess is certainly not his fault alone. The DNC messed it up then he brought his lawyers in to ensure there was no revote (which would have been within the DNC rules). Then, he stays above the fray and lets his staff and supporters ensure the hatred and animosity are continued. There is no excuse. Certainly, Obama did not do this alone; the media and the DNC have helped but the Clintons are less to blame for this mess than anyone else, yet they take the most fallout. All the people they have helped so much during their careers have not just turned against them, they have attacked with unprecedented viciousness. The Clintons have not destroyed the Democratic Party; Obama and the DNC destroyed and have ensured McCain will be the next president of the united states.

May 26, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  11. richard

An amazing ticket would be Obama and Gen. Colin Powell. If not, then Obama and Richardson would be good, too.

May 26, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  12. Kathy

My question to the “under 30 generation” who for the first time in their lives “found their voice”… in Obama…..where have you been? Why not until now have you not exercised your right to vote? You place your faith in a man who has not been tested, pocesses little record of accomplishment and little to no experience in international or economic matters. Go back and check the record…Obama released his platform weeks after Clinton released her Solutions For America agenda. His were extremely similar to hers. The Clinton campaign reacted to the release of the Obama platform by saying…”at least his is not that different than ours” So I ask you, what does this man stand for when he copies what it convenient to his campaign? For shame!

Life to you folks seems rather simple. I suppose in your minds, Obama offers a sense of entitlement - your time has come. The simple fact is that if you look past his rhetoric there is little substance. You buy into his chant of “change..yes we can” with little thought or experience as to the complexities involved in bringing about change. Some of you worship him like he is a “messiah”, here to save us from ourselves. He may in fact be anointed the nominee, and you like him, will think nothing can stop you. The simple and relevant truth is……. One can fool some of the people some of the time…but not all the people…. all the time.

McCain may represent a party for which I may not find a lot of common ground however, I respect his honor, integrity and sacrifice to our country, the scars of which he still bears as a testament to his courage…. And I will place my hope for change in him. He has earned my respect and most likely my vote and the votes of millions of others who feel the same way.

For the sake of our country and that of our future….thank god there are more of us than you, and we will not allow this fantasy to continue past Nov. DNC party chairs and uncommitted superdelgates…..you either stop this false prophet now….or we will do so with our votes come Nov.

May 26, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. Christoffel van Vuuren - Montreal - Canada

It has to be Mitt Romney to capture the hurt evangelical vote.

May 26, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  14. Mariann Pepitone

Eugene: I think you don't know what your talking about. Obama couldn't lay carpeting let alone lay out what he would do in the white house. He needs extensive training in all fields and is ahead of himself by campaigning like he won the general election already. If he wins the nomination most of Hillary's voters will switch to McCain so Obama cannot win the presidency. That would be the right thing to do. Or they should write her in. We need someone in the white house with experience to run this country and not make stupid statements like Obama does. Good for Castro he really told Obama today and he needed it.

May 26, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  15. Christoffel van Vuuren - Montreal - Canada

For Obama it has to be Richardson.

May 26, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  16. Bill in Illinois

I would like to see Obama / Sebelius on the same ticket. As for the Reps maybe they could have a Hillbilly / Big Mac ticket. I'm sure that if the Repubs offered Hillary the top spot on the ticket she would switch parties in a heartbeat!

May 26, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  17. richard

Why Colin Powell? Well, he hated serving under Bush jr and only went on board out of old loyalty to Bush sr. He would be the perfect weapon against McCain, who thinks that because of his military background that he is god almighty and thinks anybody without that experience does not know what they are talking about and cannot critique him or question his patriotism.

May 26, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  18. Docb

The only way the Dream Ticket would come about would be for the Clinton's to disclose all their financials- Library and Foundations contributors , and the 2007 tax returns. Then have them gone over as to International conficts with attention paid to his business dealings and properties given.

They won't be able to do that...so they go away.

May 26, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  19. Ellie in Aurora, CO

I'm with you all the way, Ann! Spoken like a smart, educated adult. As a 54-year-old white educated woman for Obama, I am so excited to see the young people involved in this campaign. Since you are inheriting the mess from the past 8 years, you should definitely have a major say in who our next president is!

May 26, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. HILLARY HAS THE POPULAR VOTE!!!!!!

I AGREE WITH BILL CLINTON!

LET THE PEOPLE VOTE!
    IT IS OUR RIGHT AS AMERICANS!
    WHO EVER HEARD OF THROWING SOMEONE OUT OF THE RACE?

HILLARY CONTINUES TO WIN EVEN THOUGH THE MEDIA IS AGAINST HER!!!
    ONE MUST ASK WHY?

THE PEOPLE OVERWHELMINGLY WANT HILLARY TO BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT!!!!!!!

May 26, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  21. spyturtle

It's sad clinton would resort to hollow promises to the hopeful Puerto Ricans. The politics of a different generation than Obama's. This country needs to grow and move on to more honest government and politicians.

May 26, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  22. Peg

Independent voter and Richard Bell.....I'm ashamed of both of you. How can you vote for McCain just to "teach the Democratics a lesson?" Are you totally insane or just that angry that your candidate hasn't won the nomination? While I can understand the disappointment and unhappiness with Clinton probably not being the nominee, I also, at one point said I wouldn't vote for Hillary if she got the nomination. I have since changed my mind when I think of the Supreme Court, the War in Iraq, civil liberties, our huge deficit, our "standing" in the world and my Grandchildren. I could go on and on. PLEASE Have enough pride in your country to at least "hold your nose" and vote for the Democrat who wins the nomination. That was my plan and still is!

May 26, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  23. Morgan

If Clinton will recognize the voices of the caucuses as legitimate than I will be happy to see her with Obama. Just like Florida and Michigan I don't want to see people disenfranchised.

May 26, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  24. john sharp

Please, please not Hillary

May 26, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  25. Tom

I hope Clinton never makes it this far again.

Believe it or not, as many women and uneducated voters that like Clinton, there are TWICE more that hates her. She is the most polarizing democrat in the party.

By the way, if Obama loss this nomination, I would LOVE and I mean LOVE to see how Clinton would get the black vote. Obama has proven he can get white votes. If Obama lose, blacks wont vote either.

I hope Obama takes Nunn or Webb. NO Hillary!

May 26, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |