May 26th, 2008

Who gets second billing on the presidential ballot?

As the veepstakes heat up, CNN Political Producer Alan Silverleib weighs the pros and cons of 10 possible choices for each party - from the familiar figures to the dark horses.

Filed under: Veepstakes
  1. Teddy

Obama will be Dukakis in '08 if Hillary's not on the ballot. We CANNOT win without her. Mark my words.

May 26, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  2. Susan/PA

Kathleen Sebilius from Kansas......She will bring to the ticket what Hillary can not.

May 26, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  3. SUE

Obama Hillary/Bill-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Clintons are the ones that are the cause of any division. Obama needs someone he can trust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. With them Clintons, he would have to duck everytime he hears a sound.

May 26, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  4. sdn

Please not Hillary for Obama. He would not be able to trust her. It's truly sad but we've seen how she ran her campaign attack after attack after mispeaking then attack. Obama no disrespect but a blind man can see this devil in the blue pantsuit.

May 26, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  5. Steve

I hope John Edwards would be the best VP for Obama, or another woman other than Hillary.

Steve

Kentucky

May 26, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  6. Independent Voter

I can't imagine why Hillary Clinton would consider running with B.O. except to give him a little back room training on how to be a president. Then there's Bill, in every photo. Obama is too delicate and lacks the self confidence to be able to take that.

Gee, another chance for an over qualified woman to work for an under qualified man. Change???? Not.

I won't vote for McCain because I like his policies. I'll do it because the Dems need a lesson, and they don't deserve my vote. They love racism when it works for them, and they still women are scary when they act like women instead of breathless teenage girls. I can live with anything for 4 years after putting up with Bush for 8.

Wake me when it's over.

May 26, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. Kathy

My question to the “under 30 generation” who for the first time in their lives “found their voice”… in Obama…..where have you been? Why not until now have you not exercised your right to vote? You place your faith in a man who has not been tested, pocesses little record of accomplishment and little to no experience in international or economic matters. For shame!

Life to you folks seems rather simple. I suppose in your minds, Obama offers a sense of entitlement - your time has come. The simple fact is that if you look past his rhetoric there is little substance. You buy into his chant of “change..yes we can” with little thought as to the complexities involved in bringing about change. Some of you worship him like he is a “messiah”, here to save us from ourselves. He may in fact be anointed the nominee, and you like him, will think nothing can stop you. The simple and relevant truth is……. One can fool some of the people some of the time…but not all the people…. all the time.

McCain may represent a party for which I may not find a lot of common ground however, I respect his honor, integrity and sacrifice to our country, the scars of which he still bears as a testament to his courage…. And I will place my hope for change in him. He has earned my respect and most likely my vote and the votes of millions of others who feel the same way.

For the sake of our country and that of our future….thank god there are more of us than you, and we will not allow this fantasy to continue past Nov. DNC party chairs and uncommitted superdelgates…..you either stop this false prophet now….or we will do so with our votes come Nov.

May 26, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. Dorothy NY

Angel,
    I agree with You I do not care who is the winner, I do know we need the DEMS to win in November
    Obama/ Clinton
    Clinton/ Obama

May 26, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. Helen Ferrara

My comment is to keep Hillary far far far away from the white house when Obama becomes the President.

She will start a war and she will say I Missspoken, that is dangerous.

Every primary she would say I'm staying in the race maybe some thing will happen to Obama.

She is obsessed with the Presidential job telling people the Bush's move out and she moves in.

Helen Ferrara

May 26, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  10. Bill

Obama and a VP for change!! Not Senator Clinton! Obama don't be a hypocrite and pick Hillary. You are about change!!

May 26, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  11. james free

Everyday Clinton have a new bad idea to justify her race: One day, its because americans are antisexist, another day, because Obama is Black or, because Michigan and Fl, does'nt count. After the media, And today what is the new problem Hillary? the sky ? or the sun ? hohoho Go out and unite the party. Your stay is not good for Dems. After 1st June, say good bye. And go to negociate with Obama , for Senate President or another place, but not VP.

May 26, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  12. Vernon

I too felt that an Obama/Clinton ticket would be the logical choice based on the demographics they would both bring to the table.....However after her RFK remarks I now feel that Sen.Jim Webb would be better suited for the VP.He would represent change as he's a newly elected senator himself and bring along much needed military experience to the administration....Obama/Webb 08.

May 26, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  13. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

I'd like to see an Obama/Hagel ticket. I think crossing the party lines to pick Hagel would SO show a true change and Chuck Hagel is the most Democratic Republican I've ever seen. He has the all the right attributes to make the Obama ticket the full spectrum. He's a vet, has voted correctly on Bush's war, supports immigration reformation, crosses party lines to do the right thing and is older and has more experience than Obama. He also brings a midwestern "red" state into play.

Wouldn't that just tweak the Clintons to no end?

It doesn't matter who McCain picks... he won't win no matter who it is.

Hillary is irrelevant.

May 26, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  14. David, Santa Rosa, CA

Not Sen. Clinton!

Barack Obama/Sam Nunn

Barack Obama/Kathleen Sebelius

Barack Obama/Jim Webb

Barack Obama/Janet Napolitano

May 26, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  15. Jan

Bill Clinton–at least SOMEONE will know what to do.

May 26, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  16. NO WAY!!

I can not believe that you are already talking about this!! There has been no democrat nominee..

Obama has declared himself the nominee.. that is not right!
    He is so arrogant! He is so full of himself!!
    I am a democrat living in a swing state.. If he gets the nomination.. I will vote for McCain..

I do not want to see Hillary and Obama on the same ticket.. no way!

As for McCain.. I think there would be a lot of choices for him..
    When Hillary is nominated.. I am not sure who I would want to see on the ticket with her..

May 26, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  17. McCAIN THREW MEN OF GOD UNDER THE BUS!

All I know is I really wish they will STOP this insane suggestion of Hillary becoming Obama's Vice. This lying that many of Obama's supporters would be O.K with this is wrong and just a means of the media and those in the Clinton's camp promoting this thought. Most supporters especially the ones that have been in suppport of him from the beginning DO NOT WANT HILLARY!!

I dare to say the people that they are polling, if in fact they are are Hillary supporters or one time supporters.

Obama really needs to keep in mind the people that have been there for him through out this race, those of us that have withstood the insults of the Clintons and their supporters, those of us that have worked long and hard with him and those that resent the Clinton thinking they are going to strong arm their way in even after all the insults and dirty games because THEY think they are entitled to or as Bill would have some to beleive "Hillary deserves it."

WE DO NOT WANT HILLARY ROTTEN CLINTON ON OUR TICKET!!!

What Obama needs to keep in mind is this is bigger than him for a great many of us. We DO NOT TRUST HILLARY OR BILL AT THIS POINT!!!

I REALLY DON'T CARE WHO McCAIN PICKS, I AS A INDEPENDENT VOTED REPUBLICAN LAST TIME, BUT NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

May 26, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  18. Never Obama

Clinton supporters DON'T WANT Hillary as the VP. We want her on top of the ticket. If that doesn't happen, then we have already expressed that we will support McCain in November.

Hillary supporters aren't woooed by mindless speeches. It is all or nothing.

Hillary baby, let's drive this thing all the way to the convention!!!

May 26, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  19. YES WE CAN

1, Richardson 2. Hagel 3. Clark

Barack will choose the right person.

Never Hillary – Who could ever trust or believe anything she says or does. 58% of the people don't trust her. Barack would have to watch his back all of the time. It makes me sick to think that Bill Clinton could get anywhere near the White House with what he did.

YES WE CAN – WHEN WE UNITE

May 26, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  20. Les

What about Joe Biden. Hillary cannot be his VP or she may pull another LBJ

May 26, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  21. Robert in Toronto,ON

Tony....pretty funny dude.

May 26, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  22. RealDeal

Obama/Clinton would have been okay with me pre-RFK comment but now such a ticket seems frightening. Unfortunately Hillary Clinton has taken us to a very, very dark place and if she were on the ticket, every image of Obama/Clinton would bring to mind that unspeakable political darkness. I was resigned to the fact that she would be on the ticket. And thought oh well I can live with that. But now I don't think it's possible. Why oh why did she have to go there. I'm not mad, I just puzzled – why, why, why???

May 26, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  23. Conservative Buyer- CA

Why limit ourselves to just Democrats?

Ron Paul could possibly be Obama's pick because he is the only touted Republican that is challenging his own GOP.

Obama may also consider Sebelius for her obvious qualifications.

Just about anyone that is able to put up a strong stance against John McCain in debates and against the F Word News Network media types should definitely be considered a VP.

May 26, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  24. Karen P

I trust Obama and his campaign to select the best VP candidate.

As long as it's NOT a Clinton! I do not want our ex impeached president to be anywhere near that White House or VP slot.

As we've seen, there is no way Hillary and Bill (they go as a "team") would ever act like VP...they would always bully and try to work against Obama. Hillary and Bill both have been too devisive and negative toward Obama and to the DNC to ever hope to be able to work with anyone on Capitol Hill.

May 26, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  25. Jake

The mainstream media, of course, are focused solely on impaling Hillary's head on a spear on 6th Avenue in Manhattan. I hope she frustrates all of them and stays in the race (more to say on that later, as well). But seen in context, she may have won-by-losing in allowing Obama to claim the mantle of "McGovern Democrat." Obama already had the black block to contend with; now he has officially been anointed as the left-wing Democrat as well. If the Internet chatter I am seeing is indicative, the mainstream media are again missing the evolving story, and Obama's problems have just begun.

May 26, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |